Quantcast

Tonneau Covers...

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I don't have any advice to offer. I just click on your posts to see your avatar. I do like the word tonneau however. If a pretty girl pulled up next to me with a tonneau cover on her truck at the Gas station, would it be appropriate to say "Hey Baby nice tonneau's"? Or would I get arrested for that? I am OK if they ask me to leave so I could get away with driving away to get free gas...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I'd look into a cap or shell. Everyone that I know with a truck, has a cover that is haggard, leaks water or is a hassle to lock/unlock. With a cap, at least you can overfill the bed and still secure it. And if you're shuttling bikes, I'm sure most can have the rear door removed pretty easily. And then the cap will let you truck camp pretty easily if needed, I'm sure @boostindoubles can fill in on that one.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Tonneau covers are good for golf clubs and smuggling drugs. I don't do either of those things so I don't own one. I like shells, especially the current one, it's even taller than my cab and can fit bikes upright without removing the front wheel. The main reason it's great is I can have bikes in the back and no one can see them.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
It's about 4K for a painted to match shell (gotta be stylish in JH!) and I'm not spending that kinda scratch. I found a tonneau for $500, if I think t sucks I'll start saving up for a shell...but it is a pain in the ass to put five bikes in the back with a shell, word.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I have a Bakflip on my Honda that so far is working well. We get significant snow here in Whistler and the Honda has a trunk that I use all the time. Without the tonneau I’d have to shovel out the bed and even then the trunk lid gets frozen in place. I tried it last winter without a tonneau and it was a pain. Flipped out with bikes over the tailgate and I can’t see out the rear window. With just my bike I can take the front wheel off and get all the stuff under the cover for longer trips. Sweaty stinky helmets and clothes go in the trunk too.