Quantcast

Tony's Creole Seasoning

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Does anyone else use this stuff on everything (except maybe ice cream?)

When I moved to LA (the Bayou state) I was introduced to Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning. Locals shake it on everything from steaks to crawfish. It's go the proper ZING for those who like it on the spicey side. My presonal favorite is to mix 1 part Tony's with one part Greek Seasoning and use it on slow cooked roasts.

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
It's very yummy, and can easily become more of a staple ingredient than an add-on. I used to put it on all kinds of stuff, and it can be found in every kitchen in my family (except mine).

About 5 or 6 years ago I started mixing up my own "Cajun" blend (not Creole, but I like it better) that gets used on just about anything I fry or grill. I haven't bought Tony's since then. Nothing against the stuff. . . I just get the flavor I want and save some money this way.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Fathead said:
About 5 or 6 years ago I started mixing up my own "Cajun" blend (not Creole, but I like it better) that gets used on just about anything I fry or grill. I haven't bought Tony's since then. Nothing against the stuff. . . I just get the flavor I want and save some money this way.
This thread is useless without a recipe :) Spill the beans mate. :drool:

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
valve bouncer said:
This thread is useless without a recipe :) Spill the beans mate. :drool:
Once you know the area, you can forget the map.

I just eyeball the measure so it looks right. Three parts garlic salt (or mix your own salt and garlic powder), two parts black pepper, and one part red (cayenne) pepper. Adjust to your taste. You can add white pepper for a little extra bite.

I buy garlic salt and dry pepper powders in 1/2-lb shakers. Once one is empty, I mix up a big batch of this stuff in the shaker. It sits by the grill or the stove while I'm cooking. It also sits on the crawfish table and gets sprinkled over all the bugs when they get dumped.

There's nothing exclusively Cajun about this mix, so it can be used as a base for other seasonings:

Cajun - add gumbo file (sassafras), & thyme.
Mexican - add Cumin (this is great for fajitas).
BBQ - AS IS, or add some cumin, or any herbs you like.

Works for me. Your Mileage May Vary.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
narlus said:
what seasonings are in it?
I am not sure what is in it precisely but the dominant stuff is just salt and red pepper. Sort of like a spicy salt type of deal. I started using it this summer. Used it on chicken, beef, tacos, rice, jambalaya, macaroni and cheese and lord knows what else.

Mtbike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2004
Indiana
If you guys like Tony Chachera's you will love "Slap ya Mama" seasoning. It is less salty tasting than TC, but still has that great Creole taste. I have used on everything from steak, chicken, pork, fish and eggs.

http://keysy.com/jusnkas/

The above is the link to a site that you can purchase this great seasoning online.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
My wife is from LA (though she grew up in L.A.) and she swears by Tony's.
We always battle though, because being a mid-atlantic guy, I grew up on this:

Also, Chesapeake Bay crabs are better than Gulf crabs. :devil: :evil: :sneaky:

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
-BB- said:
My wife is from LA (though she grew up in L.A.) and she swears by Tony's.
We always battle though, because being a mid-atlantic guy, I grew up on this:

Also, Chesapeake Bay crabs are better than Gulf crabs. :devil: :evil: :sneaky:
Yah, Old Bay is decent stuff. OK on a crabroll if yer into that sorta thing ;)

I won't bite on yer Chesapeake vs Gulf crabs debate. Crabs are redfish bait and filler for double-seafood gumbo. OK I can dig the occasional stuffed, or some bbq'd claw. Shrimps is where it's at, Forrest, if'n you can't get fresh mudbugs :D