Quantcast

Too big to fail...

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
...but doing it anyway.

Another day as a cog in an international business machine.

Email arrives saying "click this link for mandatory training class."

Click link, which launches IE 1.7 dino-software, the only one allowed and loaded by the corporate controlled dummy-terminals.

Greeted with a page saying "this web based training site needs modern software you don't have."

WTF

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
...but doing it anyway.

Another day as a cog in an international business machine.

Email arrives saying "click this link for mandatory training class."

Click link, which launches IE 1.7 dino-software, the only one allowed and loaded by the corporate controlled dummy-terminals.

Greeted with a page saying "this web based training site needs modern software you don't have."

WTF
Ignore until they stop sending paychecks.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I am in the midst of doing all of our yearly bullshit training, sexual harassment, internet policies, codes of conduct, etc. type shit, the exact same stuff I wasted X number of hours doing last year, and the year before that, and that and that......just getting to our training portal took me 4 hours of system updates on my company issued laptop.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My companies sharepoint system is like this. They spend lots of money to give us really fast computers, but 99% of what I do is dead dog slow because I have to work with some slow and clunky cloud bases system.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
My companies sharepoint system is like this. They spend lots of money to give us really fast computers, but 99% of what I do is dead dog slow because I have to work with some slow and clunky cloud bases system.
I hear ya. We moved to dummy terminals a while back and it isn't terrible. Though sometimes a mass software update rolls out without a word and suddenly features disappear or stop working.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Yah - my company laptop is simply a method to access my VDI... Soooo much better than the old method of trying to get all the utilities installed on the laptop. And the VDI is always running - which is a huge advantage when dealing with dodgy Internet connections.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
This is one area that my company excels in. We host the majority of our own services, so its really our own fault if "shit don't work".

And its another reason why I ensure everyone's computer/laptop is kept up to date. Heck, I'll even install Chrome if you ask. :D

I wish training sites would stop relying on Flash. That's a pain in the buttocks.

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
We moved our office, and I now connect to our network wirelessly, and my data transfer is somewhere around 50kbps. I was trying to burn a DVD of photos (2.67 gb of data), and wanted to transfer them to my local hard drive, and Windows was telling me it would take 9.5 hours.