Quantcast

Too cold to exercise?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Definitely a debunking the myths article, good find, especially considering my current situation of single digit temps
For me, the big issue is the very large patches of ice hanging around. Are the roads up by you dry?

(I don't mind ice, but to ride my studded tires on 90% dry roads is annoying)

My sister has never really forgiven me for convincing her to go on a three mile walk when it was thirty degrees below zero farenheit.

We drove down to Massachusetts later the same day, where she still complained about the cold and was not impressed when I told her it was fifty degrees warmer. :monkeydance:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Some people complain that they get exercise-induced asthma from the cold. But that sort of irritation of the respiratory tract is caused by dryness, not cold, Dr. Rundell said. “Cold air just happens not to hold much water and is quite dry,” he said. You’d have the same effect exercising in air that was equally dry but warm.
I'm gonna dispute that. Sure, anecdotal, but... I've gotten to aerobic leves regularly in dry-cold and dry-heat, but only in cold has my exercise-induced asthma ever gotten bad enough to use my inhaler.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I'm gonna dispute that. Sure, anecdotal, but... I've gotten to aerobic leves regularly in dry-cold and dry-heat, but only in cold has my exercise-induced asthma ever gotten bad enough to use my inhaler.
i'm gonna side with you on this one... MizN 8 also has the same thing when it's cold and not when it's hot and dry (Like in NM).

Also here in La the humidity is ALWAYS high even in the winter... dry cold is not something we have here.

Hi, my name is Jon and I'm a cold air exercise wussy:busted:

Just like some others here I have asthma and the cold air (anything close to or below 45) makes it much worse versus warm humid air. My sinuses get wrecked too - allergies have them congested pretty bad year round and as soon as the dry heat is on in the house for any length of time i'm done. Sinuses close completely and I get sinus infections. Anyone else with bad sinus issues in the winter???

This year i started using a saline sinus rinse and keep a humidifier in my bedroom and it has helped a lot. I was out riding/digging the other day in the snow and it couldn't have been more then 33 and about as damp as it gets here.