Quantcast

Too cold up north, running south

reptilezs

Chimp
Dec 27, 2007
Arlington, MA
Hey guys just wanted to share my spring break trip. We headed down south, North Carolina baby. 2 buddies and I decided to head to the Tsali recreation area, located near Bryson city, NC. There are about 40 miles of trails their. We rode for 4 days straight and packed up a day early due to the rain on Wednesday. The trails are very different to what is here in New England. They have these things called hills over there, who knew. The trail conditions were pretty good as far as dryness goes but there are mud holes sprinkled about. Some bad erosion in some parts though. Beautiful and fast pure single track at Tsali, would do it again in a heartbeat. Well here are the pics, they speak for themselves

We started the trip by loading the car

We arrived at 5am and slept in the car for a few hours, this pic is from around 8am or so

Our first campground

Messing around before the first ride

Good views for sure

What a good looking kid, ME!

Tom doing up a roller/wall of dirt. They even have stuff to play with in the south!

Messing around

Day 2 not too many pics, too busy riding I guess
Some single track

we moved to a new campsite to get some more morning sun

Day 3
I almost fall off the mountain. Look at the pile of leaves that I messed up. this was probably the scariest moment while on trail.

day 4 well it started with a drizzle and ended with a down pour.
No pics because we shredded through this trail way to fast. Really fun in the rain. About 4 miles in we were all wet so we threw everything out the window and ripped down the single track and ran through all the water and mud holes. No point of trying to stay dry so have fun instead. All the fun proved to be abusive to our brakes. At about mile 6-7 out of 12 our rear brake levers were hitting the handle bars. A quick trail adjustment with the multi tool worked until the last mile of double track. My rear wouldn’t return after I let go of the lever. My buddy’s brake bottomed out his lever again. We got to camp and decided to pack up in the rain and head home a day early. I didn’t want to head home early but having no brakes was the deal breaker.

reptilezs

Chimp
Dec 27, 2007
Arlington, MA
we rode left, right and mouse loop. we were going to save thompson for the last day because it was short(7 or 8 miles) but we packed up early due to rain/mechanicals. left loop on day 1 was tough because we were low on sleep and food. day 2 was right loop which we did all 15 miles or so, very tiring. day 3 was mouse loop which has a very fun downhill after the overlook section. finally day 4 we ripped through left really fastin the pouring rain.

Ahhhhh, good old Tsali. Nice write up. Too bad the weather and your brakes didn't cooperate, but sounds like you guys had fun anyways.

Mrs. jonnynails and I make it there at least once a year. She likes it because it isn't technical and I like it because you can pin it all the way around - just stick it in 5th gear and never let go of the throttle.

Next time you make the trip look into riding in Pisgah National Forest as well as Tsali.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Nice trip and pics, but I have to ask... why the full face at Tsali? Does he have some medical condition that would require the extra protection?

reptilezs

Chimp
Dec 27, 2007
Arlington, MA
Nice report. Did you wear the leg armor I sent ya?
i left the armor at a buddy's house when i met up with him to prep for the trip. we had to drive an extra 2.5 hrs to get to CT and load up the roadtrip car. i could have used some of that armor when i took a spill bombing down a downhill on left loop. :(

Nice trip and pics, but I have to ask... why the full face at Tsali? Does he have some medical condition that would require the extra protection?
no real reason for the full face except he likes his face. he also says the helmet gives him confidence

dirtrider2

Chimp
Jan 22, 2006
nam bomber
For some reason, my worst crashes and injuries have been on XC rides (except that time I smashed top speed into a parked car...oooh, that was real bad!) And if the guy likes the helmet more power to him. Part of the fun is feeling like you're doing something a little dangerous. Wearing a FF can make the ride seem more exciting. Like back in the 80's when wearing my parachute pants made me feel dangerous...

Dave

reptilezs

Chimp
Dec 27, 2007
Arlington, MA
Saying that at pretty much every race over the last several years someone gets all f'ed up at the bottom of county line rd. it might not be a bad idea.
county line rd, the gravel doubletrack on left and right? very fun section to hammer down on. the gravel does lead to some very sketchy cornering.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
county line rd, the gravel doubletrack on left and right? very fun section to hammer down on. the gravel does lead to some very sketchy cornering.
Most of the races start straight up county line rd between the two loops. Near the back on the water bars is where the mayhem occurs. They had to chopper some poor fool out at the 12 hour race last year.