Quantcast

### Too effing early Friderp gmt###

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Dang cold it is!
I think I will take a day off from outside. Both dogs are in agreement.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Colder than a penguin's ass out there this morning! I will brave the negative wind chill and get some running in later. Days like this I'd normally be on the treadmill, but that is no longer an option since I have no interest in going to the Covid Gym. I did pedal the KICKR for an hour this morning, so there is that.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Was going to log a few hours at Copper but wasn't feeling it with the lack of new snow, so will chill at home with the family today instead.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
anyone have a pair of 26" disc wheels they don't need? 135x10 bolt on rear, 20mm front (for slalom/pump track bike). @Nick i'm looking at you.
Maybe. I have a set of Mavic 823 laced to DT 440 hubs. Front is 20mm, rear is currently 142x12 but I'm sure that's convertible with a set of end caps. I think they're in pretty good shape... they're on my DH bike right now but I never ride that and was basically gonna part it out and hang the frame (GG/DH beta #10) on the wall. Lemme know if you're interested in paying some amount of money for them, though I'm not sure what they'd be worth. Isn't 26" basically free these days? Those hubs though...

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
In other news, I got my dad scheduled for his first dose of a Covid shot. The online sign-up process was freaking AWFUL... there's a dropdown that selects the location and the calendar shows you the dates with appts available. So if you're frantically trying to get an appt for your 75-year-old dad before they all "sell out" it's just an extremely stressful and frustrating PITA. Click to a month view, then cycle through all the locations in the dropdown. No appts? Click the next month, then cycles through all the locations AGAIN. Oh, and I forgot the other part: you start the process by entering a zip code and selecting a range of up to 50 miles from that zip code. Which then narrows down the locations you are able to see at any one time... so if you want to look at various cities because your dad lives in a truck camper and can be fully nomadic... woof.

Screen Shot 2021-01-29 at 8.10.57 AM.png

I can't even imaging if I were 75 years old and trying to deal with this. I'd give up. My dad had, TBH.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Maybe. I have a set of Mavic 823 laced to DT 440 hubs. Front is 20mm, rear is currently 142x12 but I'm sure that's convertible with a set of end caps. I think they're in pretty good shape... they're on my DH bike right now but I never ride that and was basically gonna part it out and hang the frame (GG/DH beta #10) on the wall. Lemme know if you're interested in paying some amount of money for them, though I'm not sure what they'd be worth. Isn't 26" basically free these days? Those hubs though...
that would work but would be contingent upon being able to source the axle conversion, and a quick google only turned up sleeves for a 135x10 thru axle, but then i'd still need an axle. my slalom frame has horizontal drop outs, hence the need for a bolt on axle (not a thru axle).

Last edited:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
In other news, I got my dad scheduled for his first dose of a Covid shot. The online sign-up process was freaking AWFUL... there's a dropdown that selects the location and the calendar shows you the dates with appts available. So if you're frantically trying to get an appt for your 75-year-old dad before they all "sell out" it's just an extremely stressful and frustrating PITA. Click to a month view, then cycle through all the locations in the dropdown. No appts? Click the next month, then cycles through all the locations AGAIN. Oh, and I forgot the other part: you start the process by entering a zip code and selecting a range of up to 50 miles from that zip code. Which then narrows down the locations you are able to see at any one time... so if you want to look at various cities because your dad lives in a truck camper and can be fully nomadic... woof.

View attachment 155895

I can't even imaging if I were 75 years old and trying to deal with this. I'd give up. My dad had, TBH.
Glad to hear you were able to figure it out for your dad.

Similar issues persist here in MA too. They are only scheduling Covid shots online. I understand the logistical nightmare of it all, but man, the most vulnerable population is also the one least likely to be able to access and navigate the internet.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
that would work but would be contingent upon being able to source the axle conversion, and a quick google only turned up sleeves for a 135x10 thru axle, but then i'd still need an axle. my slalom frame has horizontal drop outs, hence the need for a bolt on axle (not a thru axle).
I believe in you.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Glad to hear you were able to figure it out for your dad.

Similar issues persist here in MA too. They are only scheduling Covid shots online. I understand the logistical nightmare of it all, but man, the most vulnerable population is also the one least likely to be able to access and navigate the internet.
aaayup.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
FWIW, DT did make one back in the day, and maybe still does. Might be worth a call to them to see if they can get you the end caps (sleeves) and the axle.

I found this in a Goggle search, and I'm pretty sure it's the axle I have on the back of my slalom bike:

Also, I still believe in you.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
FWIW, DT did make one back in the day, and maybe still does. Might be worth a call to them to see if they can get you the end caps (sleeves) and the axle.

I found this in a Goggle search, and I'm pretty sure it's the axle I have on the back of my slalom bike:

Also, I still believe in you.
yea, that's what i found. same site had the corresponding 10x135 thru axle sleeves.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I've been using the DT Swiss 135x10mm thru axle you both posted on one of my bikes for the last 10 years no issues, but in QR dropouts, not horizontals.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I've been using the DT Swiss 135x10mm thru axle you both posted on one of my bikes for the last 10 years no issues, but in QR dropouts, not horizontals.
yea, i used to have a profile rear hub for it. it was loud as hell and 36 hole, but it was proper bolt on and it never budged.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I may have actually gotten frostbite on the tip of my shifter thumb last night, despite the rest of my gear working well for the cold. Typically it takes me about 30 minutes to reach "cruising warmth". I usually accept a little discomfort at first, but I think it may have been a little too much this time. I had pins and needles in it last night, and today I have no feeling at the tip of my thumb.

In other news my boys go back to school in person on Monday! Fuck yeah! But today is a PD day. And it's brutally cold out (-30°C with the wind), so they're stuck inside playing video games. :bonk:

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
i have a 150mm version, so i could probably make that work.
So what are these wheels I have worth, do you think? so far as I know, they're straight and true. The hubs are old, but DT 440s are bombproof. So let's figure out what they're worth... and then I'll tell ya what if you want them send me $$$ to cover the shipping, and then at some point in the future when you're back on your feet after all this legal nonsense you're dealing with, send me some money we agree on for the wheels. I'm not using the wheels and I don't need the duckets at the moment, and if it means you can ride your slalom bike with your kids or at the pump track or whatever, that's worth it to me.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
So what are these wheels I have worth, do you think? so far as I know, they're straight and true. The hubs are old, but DT 440s are bombproof. So let's figure out what they're worth... and then I'll tell ya what if you want them send me $$$ to cover the shipping, and then at some point in the future when you're back on your feet after all this legal nonsense you're dealing with, send me some money we agree on for the wheels. I'm not using the wheels and I don't need the duckets at the moment, and if it means you can ride your slalom bike with your kids or at the pump track or whatever, that's worth it to me.
that is indeed a kind and generous gesture and is much appreciated. i'm not in any rush here, its the dead of winter, the pump track is still in its planning phase, and its not like i don't have other bikes i could ride (including my bmx bike which would also be perfectly suitable for pump track riding). but i will absolutely keep this in mind.

i also have a bunch of other parts i need to start selling as well, mostly some old DH stuff that apparently there is a "vintage" market for.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Taking Hilarie for a memory evaluation... :wave:

Good luck.

My father had a procedure done yesterday, replacing the tubes for his bladder bypass. He called me while still medicated and proceeded to tell me about it 7 times in a row. I was thinking it may be similar to what you are dealing with.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
that is indeed a kind and generous gesture and is much appreciated. i'm not in any rush here, its the dead of winter, the pump track is still in its planning phase, and its not like i don't have other bikes i could ride (including my bmx bike which would also be perfectly suitable for pump track riding). but i will absolutely keep this in mind.

i also have a bunch of other parts i need to start selling as well, mostly some old DH stuff that apparently there is a "vintage" market for.
Right on, dude. Let me know. And in the meantime, where is this "vintage" market happening? I have a 2011-ish Boxxer WC for a 26" wheel that needs to go away... and the rest of the parts from the GG/DH. Though honestly, I think @mtg has said I can shoe-horn a Goldilocks wheel into my frame, so long as I don't get too high of volume on the tire. If I did that, put a non-Boxxer fork on it, and maybe threw and angleset in there to lengthen the TT a bit, it might go as a once-in-a-great-while DH bike. Also, ditch the Fox rear shock and stick a CCDB on there, which is what the bike was designed for. The Fox has always kinda felt terrible. The RS Vivid was better, but I think I got rid of that.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Right on, dude. Let me know. And in the meantime, where is this "vintage" market happening? I have a 2011-ish Boxxer WC for a 26" wheel that needs to go away... and the rest of the parts from the GG/DH. Though honestly, I think @mtg has said I can shoe-horn a Goldilocks wheel into my frame, so long as I don't get too high of volume on the tire. If I did that, put a non-Boxxer fork on it, and maybe threw and angleset in there to lengthen the TT a bit, it might go as a once-in-a-great-while DH bike. Also, ditch the Fox rear shock and stick a CCDB on there, which is what the bike was designed for. The Fox has always kinda felt terrible. The RS Vivid was better, but I think I got rid of that.
facebook. although you might get ridiculed for considering a 2010 fork vintage. most of what sells is way older.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
facebook. although you might get ridiculed for considering a 2010 fork vintage. most of what sells is way older.
Copy that. It is 26" wheel though, I maybe mistakenly assumed that counted as "vintage" haha. Is there a particular group, or just FB Marketplace in general?

Note: other than checking trail conditions a few times, I haven't logged in to FB since Oct. 6.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Copy that. It is 26" wheel though, I maybe mistakenly assumed that counted as "vintage" haha. Is there a particular group, or just FB Marketplace in general?

Note: other than checking trail conditions a few times, I haven't logged in to FB since Oct. 6.
yea there's one specific to vintage DH stuff. i'll msg it to you on FB. its cool just to see all the old bikes and history.

one note - it is a global group, and there is a very active group of europeans - but they have a lot of cool old DH bikes