Quantcast

Too hot for Mt. Wilson today?

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
I checked the weather before leaving at 7am; severe weather warning. Temps of 103 with high humidity in the Pasadena area. We decided to chance it and head out. Driving up Angeles Crest around 8:15 we were getting rain drops on the windshield. The dirt parking lot had only one car (usually around this time on a Sunday we would have trouble finding parking with the 20 cars already there.) We started up the fireroad at 9am and it was hot as balls, easily in the low 90's and climbing. We knew this was going to have to be a quick ride; no upper singletrack and no El Prieto. We cruised down the fireroad until we hit the first interchange. Somehow the temperature had dropped to around 78 with just a hint of humidity. In the background were dark rain clouds that we hoped would hit us.

I did a traditional Wilsonian rain dance for good measure.

We hit the first trail and dumped out at the view of the Pasadena area. Rain falling in the distance, still a mild 70's temp with great visibility. It was the closest I'd ever come to riding in Hawaii.

Nargaredama takes in the view.

That was the story until we passed the ruins. As soon as we hit the tree line after the paved road there was a blanket of humidity. It wasn't too bad but it wasn't ideal. We decided to take lower Sunset instead of the horse trail bail-out since it was still tolerable. Hit some waterbar booters and wallrides and dropped into the campground. Hiked-a-bike up the fireroad since it was too damn hot at this point to pedal with all our gear on. We took the bail-out right before El Prieto and cruised to the car.

We didn't pass a single person on the trails. The closest we got was seeing a few guys in the distance at one point. It was like our own private trail :weee:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
mtnbrider said:
That sounds like fun minus the heat. I need to get back up there.
Me too. Since I moved out here to Norco I haven't been to Wilson at all. While I do have a local spot to ride, it's no Mt. Wilson. I am however, finally getting some XC fitness back.

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
Ciaran said:
Me too. Since I moved out here to Norco I haven't been to Wilson at all. While I do have a local spot to ride, it's no Mt. Wilson. I am however, finally getting some XC fitness back.
I'm also down to help dig your yard whenever :) How hot is it out there lately?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
tgreathead said:
I'm also down to help dig your yard whenever :) How hot is it out there lately?
105 or so yesterday. It's cooling down a bit and I may go ride this afternon. I have to get you out here to check out my little side spot. It's short, but not bad. Lot's of potential.

I'm thinking of BBQing this weekend and drinking some beers. You (or anyone else) want to come by?

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
Mike you need to come and ride Wilson with us!

Kinda nice having the whole trail to ourselves!

Only compliant is how overgrown everything is. Touch to see all those rock underneath the grass.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
My friend may be coming down to SB in a week or 2 weeks or so. Maybe we could figure out a date to go to Wilson. Early in the morning would probably be a good idea.

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
Ciaran said:
105 or so yesterday. It's cooling down a bit and I may go ride this afternon. I have to get you out here to check out my little side spot. It's short, but not bad. Lot's of potential.

I'm thinking of BBQing this weekend and drinking some beers. You (or anyone else) want to come by?
I'm not working right now so I could come down on a weekday too. I'll see about this weekend.

solar

Chimp
Jun 21, 2004
Sorry I couldn't make it with you guys-
my group started riding at 630 am- it was already 82 at the top!

Yep, we only saw ONE hiker near Echo Mtn- nice.
Best part was being back at the car at 9ish (we actually rode up to EP)!!!

One of these days we'll get it together...

Scott, how's that fork working?
nice pics- and thanks for the rain dance!

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
solar said:
Sorry I couldn't make it with you guys-
my group started riding at 630 am- it was already 82 at the top!

Yep, we only saw ONE hiker near Echo Mtn- nice.
Best part was being back at the car at 9ish (we actually rode up to EP)!!!

One of these days we'll get it together...

Scott, how's that fork working?
nice pics- and thanks for the rain dance!
Jeff-

Taylor and I will be hitting Wilson Aug. 6 and Mammoth the second weekend in Sept.

I love Wilson when it is deserted!

Scott

solar

Chimp
Jun 21, 2004
If I don't spend too much $$$ next week at Mammoth, i'll try to join you guys in sept.
School doesn't start 'till the 20th:sneaky:

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
No worries. We actually did the EP hike too but skipped EP. We wanted to do the waterbar trail so we hiked the road to EP and then took the bail out.

Jeff, I was gonna see if you were riding Wilson this Sunday since its supposed to be nice and cool. DId you mean you're going to Mammoth this weekend or next?

Mike, you up for Wilson this Sunday?

solar

Chimp
Jun 21, 2004
I'm leaving this sunday (7-30) early am, so I can't ride wilson.
Hopefully I'll be cruising down Bullet or Flow by 3 pm!:cool:

Be back next friday or saturday, so I probably won't make it the following sunday (8/6).

Oh, a warning for anyone riding the trail down to Millard:
There's some new (at least to me) trail reinforcement work near the bottom- that dip with a rock wall on the right side that turns to the left, less than a mile from the end of the trail.
This section was always a little challenging, but now its just weird.
Now there's some stair steps leading into it- cool.
BUT, they installed some uneven pavers at the bottom of the dip that will grab your front tire and throw you over the bars.
I got caught up pretty bad and am very thankfull I was wearing my FF helmet. After watching me and Carlos get eaten alive by this thing, the other guys walked it.
Be careful boys (and girls)!

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
solar said:
There's some new (at least to me) trail reinforcement work near the bottom- that dip with a rock wall on the right side that turns to the left, less than a mile from the end of the trail.
BUT, they installed some uneven pavers at the bottom of the dip that will grab your front tire and throw you over the bars.
I got caught up pretty bad and am very thankfull I was wearing my FF helmet. After watching me and Carlos get eaten alive by this thing, the other guys walked it.
I noticed that about 2 months ago. Things could get real ugly on that!

Before I even think about trying that I need to work on my switch back to step downs!

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
solar said:
I noticed that thing before I got to it. I opted to hop off and walk and was glad I did, the dip looks like it eats front wheels for breakfast:dead:

retrofred

Monkey
Jan 18, 2002
canyon country, Ca.
yah nice site. i like the azonic saber, didn't you buy that me. hey a buddy and i where thinking of doing a wilson ride but don't really know the trail. i have only done once and that was over year plus ago.

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
retrofred said:
yah nice site. i like the azonic saber, didn't you buy that me. hey a buddy and i where thinking of doing a wilson ride but don't really know the trail. i have only done once and that was over year plus ago.
Yup, that's your Saber :thumb:
Sent you a PM.