Quantcast

Too Many Choices!!! What to ride?

so, i want a cross bike to ride in the winter for commutes and maybe a race someday. i can't use a road bike cause i have a couple miles of gravel road to cross.
i currently have a carbon ht cx bike, a downhill, a all-mountain rig and dj bike. i ride all the time and commute on my ht right now but it would be fun to have a cross bike.
here is the problem i am overwhelmed with how many bikes there are to choose from and i don't know where to start. i like the idea of sram double tap but is that a good idea?
any and all advise is helpful.
i can't spend over $3,500, thus make suggestions that i could possibly get.
thanks in advance

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
What are you going to use the bike for? How tall are you?

I dunno, it's up to you. I have a tendency to bury myself in too much stuff - one more bike to maintain and store gets to be too much after a while.

For a two mile stretch I think I'd save my money, try the ride for a while - if it's a giant PITA you can always try something else later.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Don't let JBP deter you from what could be your best purchase yet! I would look online for a used cross bike. They don't resell very well and you can typically pick up a good bike cheap.

Don't let JBP deter you from what could be your best purchase yet! I would look online for a used cross bike. They don't resell very well and you can typically pick up a good bike cheap.
i will take a look and i like to have multiple bikes. when one is down you always have something to ride plus i don't have a car, thus it is reasonable to drop cash on bikes.... no insurance, maintenance, tags, gas etc....

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I ran a CX bike for a year sad I sold it, fast and very useful.

Now I am just running a 29er which is :disgust1:

Last edited:
Echoing other sentiments - do you really want a CX bike, or is a burly road bike more up your alley? I mean, they're not THAT different - but if you don't enjoy racing 'cross (some people love it, some hate it), it'll definitely be overkill, and possibly not well-suited to what you want to do with the bike.

I'd think something like a Spooky Lumberjack built with some nice handbuilt clinchers and a Force group is right up your alley.

http://sbox.spookybikes.com/lumberjack

Echoing other sentiments - do you really want a CX bike, or is a burly road bike more up your alley? I mean, they're not THAT different - but if you don't enjoy racing 'cross (some people love it, some hate it), it'll definitely be overkill, and possibly not well-suited to what you want to do with the bike.

I'd think something like a Spooky Lumberjack built with some nice handbuilt clinchers and a Force group is right up your alley.

http://sbox.spookybikes.com/lumberjack

that looks like a strong candidate, i race xc and 4x want to jump into dh but may never do the whole cross thing. carrying the bike would not be my strong suite i am not real big.... mostly just want a commuter so a road bike with wider tires might be the best bet? i definatly want a force or rival groupo. unless anyone advises against sram then i will go campy athena... the double tap thing just seems cool.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
i definatly want a force or rival groupo. unless anyone advises against sram then i will go campy athena... the double tap thing just seems cool.
I absolutely love both my force and rival groupo. Once it is dialed in, it is incredibly smooth, and the double tap is so nice to use just your middle finger to up and down shift. If you have small hands it might be a bit tough to double tap down, not too sure.

I actually would rather have my force group over the red groupo. I don't need to save a few more grams, and the decals are almost the same if you are going for looks.

I absolutely love both my force and rival groupo. Once it is dialed in, it is incredibly smooth, and the double tap is so nice to use just your middle finger to up and down shift. If you have small hands it might be a bit tough to double tap down, not too sure.

I actually would rather have my force group over the red groupo. I don't need to save a few more grams, and the decals are almost the same if you are going for looks.

thanks...:D i do have small hands but it seemed okay on a trainer at the LBS. the the smoothness is what excites me. also they look so nice and clean. plus the brake lever not moving seems just firmer. :thumb:

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO

thanks...:D i do have small hands but it seemed okay on a trainer at the LBS. the the smoothness is what excites me. also they look so nice and clean. plus the brake lever not moving seems just firmer. :thumb:
Absolutely, plus you can adjust the double taps and brake levers in towards the bars as well which is incredibly nice. I don't have small hands, but I don't have to reach far at all and I can ride with my fingers on the levers at all times if I want to without my fingers hurting.