Quantcast

***Too Much Christmas Hangover GMT***

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Howdy all. In my own mines this week. Hospital is awfully quiet day after Christmas before 7 AM (when my shift starts).

Also, LOOK AT MY BABIES. Here's one of 'em.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
today i will he disassembling a wooden swingset/structure (possibly moving to another location in yard) and assembling a trampoline. i assume i will be taking one or both boys to the er shortly thereafter. it's going to be 60* here again. 70* tomorrow...

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
One more video of down'n'up from yesterday, this time with some fancy country music. :monkey:

Is there a setting to keep the horizon visible (so for up-down tilt)? It seems to end up pointing down a fair bit, eliminating of which kind of was the reason to get a gimbal in the first place.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Is there a setting to keep the horizon visible (so for up-down tilt)? It seems to end up pointing down a fair bit, eliminating of which kind of was the reason to get a gimbal in the first place.
The gimbal operates in a few modes, this mode was "keep almost level - point a few degrees below "the horizon" manual override". The issue is, when keeping 100% level, there's too little trail visible, therefore I made it point down a bit. That works on descents, but during very steep climbs (the ascent in the second half is very steep and technical, therefore so much body english), the "horizon" disappears.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
The gimbal operates in a few modes, this mode was "keep almost level - point a few degrees below "the horizon" manual override". The issue is, when keeping 100% level, there's too little trail visible, therefore I made it point down a bit. That works on descents, but during very steep climbs (the ascent in the second half is very steep and technical, therefore so much body english), the "horizon" disappears.
100% level + SuperView, perhaps? I agree that it's an issue: you can see that in my snow video at 8:00 through about 8:15, with the trail just dropping away:

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Home after skiing a shit ton the last two days. Mount Snow was COLD today. My legs are tired. We've gotten four days of skiing in already this season, which isn't a lot but it's a great start considering at this time last year the mountain was all grass and we hiked it.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Did a super short ride today...Still did as much climbing as a longer ride back home.

Had a beer at The Hub and didn't see @Dirtrider.

I'll admit it, I wimped out and went and purchased a 30 tooth chain Ring in anticipation of @jstuhlman murdering whatever is left of my legs tomorrow. :D

Desktop is back up, kudos to Dell support, although I'm fucked if I know why it barfed in the first place. My best guess is Serial ATA Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver. The whole process, starting with an expired warranty, took about five hours and $240, which, as a side effect, buys me software support for the next year.

Next silly project is replacing one of our garage door openers.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Did a super short ride today...Still did as much climbing as a longer ride back home.
What elevation for distance? Here in the front range a typical ride for me is 7 miles but 1500-1600' ascent.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
What elevation for distance? Here in the front range a typical ride for me is 7 miles but 1500-1600' ascent.
Today was about 5 miles and 800 feet.

On Saturday we did 17 miles and 3000 feet.

Yesterday was 33 miles and about 2800 feet...But a lot of that happened on some short distance of trail that was pretty much straight up rock gardens. Destroyed my body.

Back home is like a golf course in comparison.

The beer tastes amazing here after that stuff. :d

Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
100% level + SuperView, perhaps? I agree that it's an issue: you can see that in my snow video at 8:00 through about 8:15, with the trail just dropping away:

No GoPro here therefore no SuperView, but! The camera chipset can do 4:3 @ 1080p @ 60FPS and 4:3 @ 1440p @ 30FPS so I'll try those modes, too.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
That's why I love rolling terrain. my local go-to climb is 3.5 miles and 1,700' mostly straight up.

# frontrange #old&fat
You guys are freakin' lucky. :D

Back home there are only a few spots that I can do close to 1000 feet on 15+ miles of trail riding...And that involves going up and down the ridges multiple times. Ontario might as well be Kansas, except if you're out towards @slyfink's way....But he is pretty much in Quebec. :D

Needless to say, North Carolina has been amazing. Definitely will be coming back.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Took the family Nordic skiing. It was fun. The Nordic ski patrol guy is a roadie around town. I had never met him but I started off how I was a dirt rider, not the snow kinda guy... he promptly started shit talking with me about roadies, how nordic is harder than stomping pedals. I obliged the shit talk gladly.

Later the Nordic director guy asked me how I knew him, saying he'd never heard that patrol guy talk trash. I said I don't know him but I hit his roadie button. Hahaha

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Trying to get a pedal off some shitty bike I broke two shitty tools. First I broke and adjustable wrench and then a 15mm wrench using a metal pipe for leverage. It claimed it was cold forged but that must have been put off Bud cans. Working and riding shitty bikes is shitty.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
taking apart a 15 year old wooden play structure held together with an assortment of rusted bolts, screws, and nails in various evil combinatons about did me my. my 9# hammer kicked ass, bit damg my hands are sore. also managed to get the trampoline assembled. let the carnage begin!

Had a beer at The Hub and didn't see @Dirtrider.

I'll admit it, I wimped out and went and purchased a 30 tooth chain Ring in anticipation of @jstuhlman murdering whatever is left of my legs tomorrow. :D
dude, i'm getting us max benefit from shuttles. we'll climb maybe 1500-2000' overall, depending on route, and get around 5000' descent! :D (and the beer will still taste excellent).

Moar prime rib for dinner this evening.
same here....and still more leftovers for tomorrow...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
taking apart a 15 year old wooden play structure held together with an assortment of rusted bolts, screws, and nails in various evil combinatons about did me my. my 9# hammer kicked ass, bit damg my hands are sore. also managed to get the trampoline assembled. let the carnage begin!

dude, i'm getting us max benefit from shuttles. we'll climb maybe 1500-2000' overall, depending on route, and get around 5000' descent! :D (and the beer will still taste excellent).

same here....and still more leftovers for tomorrow...

Holy fack. :brows::banana::clapping::headbang::rockout:

:popcorn:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Got the FB reminder that a good friend of mine died in an avalanche four years ago today. Fuck that. I was having a good day too. At least I saw Rogue One finally.