Quantcast

Too much glare

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Camera, Canon SD800IS

It seems like none of the settings will compensate for glare. In theory the "sunny bright day" setting should work, but we get a lot of ( see first attachment):

We've tried auto settings, manual auto-iso, and the "scene" settings.We've had such dissastifaction that we bracket a lot of shots.

Now, for the second attachment, conditions were flat light, overcast, late afternoon with some glare - but should we get (second attachment)

I can provide full resolution pics on my flicker acct, I was just uploading quick.

Other than a cooler camera- any thoughts on what can be done different?

thanks

Attachments

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
You need to adjust the metering. It is using an average type metering, which averages the light in the entire scene and finds a median ground. Chances are, it's good for nothing. You have 2 drastically different levels of exposure in both of those scenes.

In the second it metered on the dam building, which was probably fairly dark. That is why the sky and water is blown out. In the water scene, you'll really never get a great shot in those kind of conditions.

See if that camera has a spot metering setting. In spot, it uses only about 5% of the image for metering (usually under the focus point selected or center focus point). This means you can point it at the trees and it will meter for the trees, or the dam building and meter for that, or the sky. If you meter the sky, it and the water will be ok, but the dam building etc will be pretty much black.

Last edited:

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
This is a "point and shoot" camera. They do great if the lighting is even, because of what Transcend said. I didn't check the specs, but I'm willing to guess that this camera doesn't have spot metering.

If you are serious about taking better pictures, you could get either an entry level DSLR, or an advanced point and shoot.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
that first scene will be a challenge for any camera, spot metering or not. the dynamic range is too great unless you use ND filters or bracket and blend multiple exposures.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
hmm, thanks. I figured there were limitations to the camera.

That dam is the Long Lake Dam on the Spokane River, over by Welpinit.