Quantcast

Toobless Tape Troubles.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
I just built up a pair of Spank/Hope wheels for a buddy. I only ran the tape down the middle of the rimzzz. What's the point of the bead lock on the edge of the rim if it's covered in tape?
20220805_122355.jpg

No tape in the pic. But VERY ODD rim and build instructions from Spank.

Last edited:

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Also, Stan's tape does suck balls. I've cleaned the rims with alcohol and let them dry. I run the tape 4 holes long and press down the center and the tape comes right off. The Velocity tape seems pretty good to me. But I'm always looking for something better.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
A super salty service manager at a shop I worked at would never use levers (this is pre-inserts), and would give you the stink eye if he saw you struggling. I took on the challenge and got really good at my technique for just using my hands. That said there's times when technique won't save you and you need a lever. The best I know of are Mavic levers. The lever blade is super thin to squeeze into the narrowest of gaps and they never snap.

I would have loved to see him put a new tire on to a Ryde Trace Trail rim, I don't think I'd even try to put an insert on to those suckers.

I couldn't get Stan's tape to stick after doing my usual brake clean wipe down, had to use white Spirit this time for some reason.

I'm gonna give the Tesa 4288 a whirl when the Stan's runs out, I hate Stan's tape but it was all I could get locally, actually I hate the sealant too.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
9 times out of 10 its the tape is too narrow. The other 1 out of 10 is destroying the tape wrestling with the tire. I have a squirt bottle of water dish soap mixture that I spray on to help aid installation. Doing it with Cushcore is a whole other stress MMA match especially on an short wall offset rim

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yep, having a tube in the tire ON is the ticket to success for me as well.
I find it's not always necessary...but why f**k around and find out when it is? My backup wheel is a Spank Spyke and that's where I had to tape it overlapping at the valve, wide enough, tube in, etc.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
...I hate Stan's tape but it was all I could get locally, actually I hate the sealant too.

Speaking of sealant...

What do you like?

I have some Stans race atm. I was shocked at how large some of the chunks were. Sounds like gravel when first installed. Seems to break up and quieten down after a few miles. So far have not put it to the test, at least that I know of.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Probably moar advice then you want, but here goes:

I do Stan's "regular" sealant. As you noticed, the Race has big chunks in it. Not really a thing for me anymore. Kinda like a FRO thing (For Racing Only). I found it clogged my valves. Not the end of the world if you regularly want to keep your valves in check and maintained. I have a hard enough time with that given non-FRO sealant.

In my area of the world it's about cactus (cacti?) AKA small holes and not so much giant punctures. Although they do exist. So regular Stans it is.

I've kind of honed my riding game to not go for the gnar that can lead to giant punctures. Inserts like Cushcore helps on the giant punctures and snake bite kind of flats. But still, you gotta pick your lines wisely :) (don't tell anyone, I still huck the gnar. And tires and rims can be a victim)

In all my years of experience, nothing prevents or seals a sidewall tear. Except DH tires, but even then, could still happen. And if it does: a tube and $1 bill does the trick. Better than a power bar wrapper. Or a $20 bill. YMMV :)

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I am still brewing my own tire sealant in my garage, pretending I am Walter White. ;)

I've been doing it since Stan's (apparently) changed their recipe over 10 years ago. No idea how it compares to commercial products, but it works good enough for me.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I am still brewing my own tire sealant in my garage, pretending I am Walter White. ;)

I've been doing it since Stan's (apparently) changed their recipe over 10 years ago. No idea how it compares to commercial products, but it works good enough for me.
is your homebrew sealant ammonia free?

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
This thread makes me appreciate my UST Deemax just a little bit more. I was cautious about those things when they came specced on my bike but I haven't been able to fault them yet.

On my EX471 trailbike wheels I'm pretty sure I'm still running some electrical Kapton tape I bought in the correct width (ie RIM ID +2mm-ish)

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
This thread makes me appreciate my UST Deemax just a little bit more. I was cautious about those things when they came specced on my bike but I haven't been able to fault them yet.

On my EX471 trailbike wheels I'm pretty sure I'm still running some electrical Kapton tape I bought in the correct width (ie RIM ID +2mm-ish)
These old Deemax aired right up yesterday after sitting for 10 years.
7D2C8AA7-A580-4BE8-96B2-0954603AB54E.jpeg

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Speaking of sealant...

What do you like?

I have some Stans race atm. I was shocked at how large some of the chunks were. Sounds like gravel when first installed. Seems to break up and quieten down after a few miles. So far have not put it to the test, at least that I know of.
I am the worst person to give sealant advice because I ride XC(slowly) with DH cased tires and CushCore, sealant doesn't have to do much on my tires.

So my sealant choices are based on laziness, I go for the one that stays liquid the longest, Tune sealant does seem to stay liquid for a year and it's easy to clean out. Tyre Juice doesn't last as long but is also far easier to clean out than Stan's, but if you do let it dry fully it will make a pretty hard layer inside the tire, it does seem to seal a small hole pretty well.

Pretty much irrelevant but the new Continental tire I pumped up with no sealant about a month ago feels like it has only lost a couple of pounds, that's very different to the previous ones I've had.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

are they the modern deemax?

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
are they the modern deemax?
Yeah they're the Sam Hill version that came on the Mega the year I bought it (https://www.mavic.com/en-us/deemax-pro-sam-hill-rv1194.html). Weird spokes which was a concern, but the bike came with like 8 spare spokes, plus the HG freehub and some other spares. Haven't needed any yet, even after a fist sized rock went into the spokes and locked the wheel up.

The low engagement count in the rear hub would put some people off though I'm sure. Wonder if the UST tech is available on a standard rim that could be put into a normal wheel somehow.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yeah they're the Sam Hill version that came on the Mega the year I bought it (https://www.mavic.com/en-us/deemax-pro-sam-hill-rv1194.html). Weird spokes which was a concern, but the bike came with like 8 spare spokes, plus the HG freehub and some other spares. Haven't needed any yet, even after a fist sized rock went into the spokes and locked the wheel up.

The low engagement count in the rear hub would put some people off though I'm sure. Wonder if the UST tech is available on a standard rim that could be put into a normal wheel somehow.
did you still have to tape them? their old ust stuff had the eyelet forescrews so no faffing with tape of any sort.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
did you still have to tape them? their old ust stuff had the eyelet forescrews so no faffing with tape of any sort.
Nah its solid aluminium all the way around the inside of the rim except the valve hole. The spoke nipples screw into the rim from the other side. I was a DT rim fan before I got these (EX471s would be my go-to for building a wheel normally). But these are going strong and straight after 18 months of rocks and racing. The freehub does have some ridiculously low engagement, although this bike doesn't really see many slow, techy climbs and I haven't noticed it on descents. Plus the rim is decorated with cool Mexican skull thingies

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Nah its solid aluminium all the way around the inside of the rim except the valve hole. The spoke nipples screw into the rim from the other side. I was a DT rim fan before I got these (EX471s would be my go-to for building a wheel normally). But these are going strong and straight after 18 months of rocks and racing. The freehub does have some ridiculously low engagement, although this bike doesn't really see many slow, techy climbs and I haven't noticed it on descents. Plus the rim is decorated with cool Mexican skull thingies
Are they not basically an updated ie wider 819 / 823?

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
good to know, i checked their website and it wasn't immediately apparent if that was the case. i'm surprised they aren't doing more UST rims especially with the growing popularity of inserts.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Slightly leftfield question for y'all now.
Anyone run actual high pressure tyres tubeless? or road tubeless?

I've been running tubeless for a few of years on my 4X hardtail with pump track tyres at 65psi. Had no issues at all for 2 years running an old set of DMR MOTO RT tyres but recently swapped to Maxxis DTH to save a bit of weight and everyone else seemingly running them I thought they must be good but have punctured both in the first few weeks. first puncture was in the rear from glass picked up on the road and with the shard of glass removed it was too big a hole for the sealant to plug I had to resort to an internal automotive patch. sorted.
But now the front has picked up a small hole (no debris found in tread, just shitey roads here) and the sealant plugged it. But it keeps letting go after a few days and spraying sealant out until it plugs the hole again. prob going down to 30-40ish psi before it stops spraying and plugs the hole. afterwards I've been inflating it back up to 65 and it holds for a good few rides then does the same again. I'm riding the bike to work and back and a little after work pretty much daily ATM. I'm probably going to end up patching it also. BUT... is there a sealant that's better with high pressures?
Currently using (trying out) the latest Peatys. recommended by the Rep... who like most good reps barely even rides a bike but can spout off how great the stuff is for hours and hours and hours and hours until you finally give in and buy a few boxes.
Usually use STANS on all my tubeless set-ups as I always found it better at plugging larger holes than blue tinge non latex sealant

pe6u

Chimp
Apr 19, 2013
I ride my dirt jimper with tubless Maxxis DTH and often witness what you describe - small holes open, ussualy when its hot on jumps. I put tubless plugs and they work, if I don't have at the moment - some dry straw. I use Stans regular too.

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Slightly leftfield question for y'all now.
Anyone run actual high pressure tyres tubeless? or road tubeless?

I've been running tubeless for a few of years on my 4X hardtail with pump track tyres at 65psi. Had no issues at all for 2 years running an old set of DMR MOTO RT tyres but recently swapped to Maxxis DTH to save a bit of weight and everyone else seemingly running them I thought they must be good but have punctured both in the first few weeks. first puncture was in the rear from glass picked up on the road and with the shard of glass removed it was too big a hole for the sealant to plug I had to resort to an internal automotive patch. sorted.
But now the front has picked up a small hole (no debris found in tread, just shitey roads here) and the sealant plugged it. But it keeps letting go after a few days and spraying sealant out until it plugs the hole again. prob going down to 30-40ish psi before it stops spraying and plugs the hole. afterwards I've been inflating it back up to 65 and it holds for a good few rides then does the same again. I'm riding the bike to work and back and a little after work pretty much daily ATM. I'm probably going to end up patching it also. BUT... is there a sealant that's better with high pressures?
Currently using (trying out) the latest Peatys. recommended by the Rep... who like most good reps barely even rides a bike but can spout off how great the stuff is for hours and hours and hours and hours until you finally give in and buy a few boxes.
Usually use STANS on all my tubeless set-ups as I always found it better at plugging larger holes than blue tinge non latex sealant
There was a company that marketed their sealant for low volume/high pressure tires:

No idea if it works though.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Pirelli has a special high pressure sealant as well, but it comes with Ammonia and I think Maxxis tyres don't like that.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I ride my dirt jimper with tubless Maxxis DTH and often witness what you describe - small holes open, ussualy when its hot on jumps. I put tubless plugs and they work, if I don't have at the moment - some dry straw. I use Stans regular too.
You mean these?
1661431501508.png

I use these.
1661431557904.png

@iRider Cheers. Had a quick google and couldn't find that particular sealant available anywhere here. Quickly scanning reviews mostly seem to be focusing on it's Eco freindliness with user reviews all from folk who haven't even had a puncture yet. One comment did mention it's low viscosity would seem like the opposite of what you'd want to seal a hole with high pressure behind it. (honestly not sure about that TBF)
Should probably have said the tyres are 2.3 so not particularly low volume and 65 is nowhere near high pressure by road tyre standards so who knows.
I'm not brave enough to even try tubeless on my roadbike as I run 25s @ 115/125psi

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Pirelli has a special high pressure sealant as well, but it comes with Ammonia and I think Maxxis tyres don't like that.
Cheers.
Stans has ammonia and I've never had a problem with a maxxis tyre because of it.
I did have a WTB rim crack all the way around every spoke eyelet though and someone suggested Stans can weaken/corrode rims. (no idea if conspiracy or truth tho)