Quantcast

Toobless Tape Troubles.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Slightly leftfield question for y'all now.
Anyone run actual high pressure tyres tubeless? or road tubeless?

I've been running tubeless for a few of years on my 4X hardtail with pump track tyres at 65psi. Had no issues at all for 2 years running an old set of DMR MOTO RT tyres but recently swapped to Maxxis DTH to save a bit of weight and everyone else seemingly running them I thought they must be good but have punctured both in the first few weeks. first puncture was in the rear from glass picked up on the road and with the shard of glass removed it was too big a hole for the sealant to plug I had to resort to an internal automotive patch. sorted.
But now the front has picked up a small hole (no debris found in tread, just shitey roads here) and the sealant plugged it. But it keeps letting go after a few days and spraying sealant out until it plugs the hole again. prob going down to 30-40ish psi before it stops spraying and plugs the hole. afterwards I've been inflating it back up to 65 and it holds for a good few rides then does the same again. I'm riding the bike to work and back and a little after work pretty much daily ATM. I'm probably going to end up patching it also. BUT... is there a sealant that's better with high pressures?
Currently using (trying out) the latest Peatys. recommended by the Rep... who like most good reps barely even rides a bike but can spout off how great the stuff is for hours and hours and hours and hours until you finally give in and buy a few boxes.
Usually use STANS on all my tubeless set-ups as I always found it better at plugging larger holes than blue tinge non latex sealant
My buddy has his pump track bike set up tubeless with DTHs and loses like 10-15 psi per hour. No obvious weep holes, but noticeably loses pressure.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
My buddy has his pump track bike set up tubeless with DTHs and loses like 10-15 psi per hour. No obvious weep holes, but noticeably loses pressure.
Per hour? :o
if there's no obvious sealant on the outside of the tyre that has to be poor taping, shit sealant or a leaking valve/valve tape interface?...
mine don't go down at all holding 65 right up until I've punctured or the sealant gives out at the puncture hole as I described. With hissing sealant spraying 360 while riding along it's rather obvious to spot ;)

Last edited:

dgriff

Chimp
Jan 8, 2020
I switched to Orange Seal (regular, not endurance) on my road bike this year. Haven't had a puncture to test it yet but from when I was looking into sealant for higher pressures that seemed to be the top choice for a decent amount of people.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Slightly leftfield question for y'all now.
Anyone run actual high pressure tyres tubeless? or road tubeless?

I've been running tubeless for a few of years on my 4X hardtail with pump track tyres at 65psi. Had no issues at all for 2 years running an old set of DMR MOTO RT tyres but recently swapped to Maxxis DTH to save a bit of weight and everyone else seemingly running them I thought they must be good but have punctured both in the first few weeks. first puncture was in the rear from glass picked up on the road and with the shard of glass removed it was too big a hole for the sealant to plug I had to resort to an internal automotive patch. sorted.
But now the front has picked up a small hole (no debris found in tread, just shitey roads here) and the sealant plugged it. But it keeps letting go after a few days and spraying sealant out until it plugs the hole again. prob going down to 30-40ish psi before it stops spraying and plugs the hole. afterwards I've been inflating it back up to 65 and it holds for a good few rides then does the same again. I'm riding the bike to work and back and a little after work pretty much daily ATM. I'm probably going to end up patching it also. BUT... is there a sealant that's better with high pressures?
Currently using (trying out) the latest Peatys. recommended by the Rep... who like most good reps barely even rides a bike but can spout off how great the stuff is for hours and hours and hours and hours until you finally give in and buy a few boxes.
Usually use STANS on all my tubeless set-ups as I always found it better at plugging larger holes than blue tinge non latex sealant
I'd be putting a regular patch in that if it was me, vulcanizing glue, patch the inside.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I'm not brave enough to even try tubeless on my roadbike as I run 25s @ 115/125psi
Same here. I'm running R-Sys SLR wheels and they come with an OG Mavic closed rimbed but are from 2011 or '12 and I'm not sure if you can run tooobless ready tires on them. I'm not too keen on a dismounting tyre going +80k's downhill. Also Conti only recommends 7.5 bar/109 psi max for the tlr 25 mm GP5000 and I also don't like lower pressures than that.

Last edited:

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
It was in another thread recently - I'm sold on using tubeless rim strips ( the rubbery / plastic type ) instead of taping rims. No tape fitting drama. They are also provide a more resilient seal vs tape. I was very cheap last year and kept denting the shit out of an aluminum rim. The final straw was guinea pigging a gap on a trail I was building in the fall. Suffice to say, I came up a little short. The rim cracked & buckled in a little. A solid wheel build & the tubeless strip had me roll away having never burped.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
It was in another thread recently - I'm sold on using tubeless rim strips ( the rubbery / plastic type ) instead of taping rims. No tape fitting drama. They are also provide a more resilient seal vs tape. I was very cheap last year and kept denting the shit out of an aluminum rim. The final straw was guinea pigging a gap on a trail I was building in the fall. Suffice to say, I came up a little short. The rim cracked & buckled in a little. A solid wheel build & the tubeless strip had me roll away having never burped.
Whose strips?
Ya gotta name names, man.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I'd be putting a regular patch in that if it was me, vulcanizing glue, patch the inside.
See above. Automotive patch. And yes vulcanising solution. (not glue)
I'm just asking if there's a better sealant that is capable of keeping holes plugged at the higher pressures I'm running.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Also Conti only recommends 7.5 bar/109 psi max for the tlr 25 mm GP5000 and I also don't like lower pressures than that.
I won't ever ride another Conti after GP4000s and GP4Seasons tread delaminating from casings.
Both warrantied. and granted it was a few years back now. But not forgotten and Fuck that at 40mph+ in spandex

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
how are you guys liking the DTH tires? i hadn't heard of them before, they look good. any idea how they compare to the holy roller?
I've only ever ridden a holy roller on the front of a BMX. compared to that. On tarmac the DTH is grippier. impossible to compare rolling speed though the DMR MOTO RT I had on previous to the DTH did have a similar tread design to the holy Roller. DTH is definitely grippier on smoother harder surfaces but the DMR was better off road. DTH is a fair bit lighter but surprisingly also seems harder work to accelerate when pedalling but does hold speed/momentum really well, gains speed pumping no problem and has immense grip in the local Velosolutions asphalt pump tracks. Overall I do like them but I did expect them to pedal better. I commute on that bike in dry weather, and my roadbike in the wet and the roadbike is a dream to pedal in comparison.
The DHT's tread design and compound are extremely prone to picking up small debris, little stones etc. Hence the massive increase in punctures I guess.
A workmate who previously ran 2.1 DTH now swears by Schwalbe Billy Bonkers for pumptrack use. but he complained the DTH were lethal grip wise. (Unless the 2.1 is vastly different they're totally not) but he does spend most of his riding time on a 170mm Enduro bike on Maxxgrip DHF/Rs

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
Has the :monkey: come to a consensus regarding tubeless tape?

Been changing between gravity and trail tires a couple times this year and the tape I have been using does not hold up well. I have been using Kapton tape. (The non-bike original version of Spanks Fratelli tape) Double wrap and never had a problem with it sealing, but it seems easily dislodged by tire removal.

I picked up some Muc-off and gave it a go. Cleaned and alcohol wiped the rim. Spotless it was. It went on real nice, no bubbles or wrinkles - spent a bit of time with a microfibre cloth making sure everything was pushed into the infuriating oobah profile Spank uses. Looked fucking perfect, ready for product marketing shots. Tire on, Stans race in, aired up, and leaked like a motherfucker arouind half a dozen spoke holes?

:wtf:

Tire off, rim wiped down, and it still looks good, no bubble, wrinkles, folded edges - nothing. No idea.
The only thing I can think of is that the single wrap as instructed along with pushing the tape into the profile, even through a cloth has pin holed the tape on the spoke hole edges. Just a guess.

It is not like I have tried a whole bunch. So far Stan's, Gorilla, Kapton and now Muc-Off.
Gorilla seems to hold up the best, but I really don't want to remove what it is on cause of residue horror stories, especially as it has been on for several years now. It is sealing up a old non tubeless DT rim just fine though several tire changes.

So, double wrap the Muc-Off?
... or back to the Kapton?
...or what do I get to waste far to much money on far too little product next?

What do you guys use and what are your thoughts on it?
I make hundreds of tubeless setups a year. Spank rims are huge PITA to run tubeless. Anyway, just like some1 said, you should run a wider tape than rim id. Other thing that comes to my mind is valve hole, especially when you report it leaking through the nipples. What I do is, using small half round file, I cut a perfect hole in tape. Tape easily tears off at the hole edge. It works on both alloy and carbon rims:

here is a quick vid I made

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
I was going to say: The Bontrager TLR strips look to have some moulded bead seat? May or may not play nice with the seat that already exists in most rims?

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I make hundreds of tubeless setups a year. Spank rims are huge PITA to run tubeless. Anyway, just like some1 said, you should run a wider tape than rim id. Other thing that comes to my mind is valve hole, especially when you report it leaking through the nipples. What I do is, using small half round file, I cut a perfect hole in tape. Tape easily tears off at the hole edge. It works on both alloy and carbon rims:

here is a quick vid I made
I have not used anything on the Spank rims other than Muc-Off and Kapton.
Muc-Off installed according to instructions resulted in spoke hole leaks etc.

A double wind of Kapton has never leaked in any way. Valve stem hole is made with an old Die ejector pin ground down into a scriber. Very hard and very sharp. A small start hole, then thread the valve though the hole. Never a problem. My only issue is having to re-tape after changing tires a couple times.

I'm thinking no tubeless strip is going to work with the wonky Spank profile, so will probably pick up some DT 32mm for next time.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
How much have you experimented with running them on non-Bontrager rims?
Quite a bit. Bonty makes a lot of sizes (widths), so chances are you can find something that will work. Using them with Nexties.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
You think they would have any hope in hell dealing with the Spanks profile?
They are relatively cheap. Go to local trek shop, bring rim, see what will fit width wise or looks close. They are one-and-done use, so you have to get another when you take the strip off, but the strips are so good that it's pretty much a non-issue. Try it with one and see if it'll work, then do the other side if it does.

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
I'm also a fan of the 24" split tube ghetto method. A side benefit of these is when you trim off the excess that is outside the rim bead - it adds just this little bit extra mat'l between that rim sidewall pinch cutting the tire.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I won't ever ride another Conti after GP4000s and GP4Seasons tread delaminating from casings.
Hmm, that sounds a bit like the Conti mtb tyres of old. What are you running instead? I've tried Mavic which were grippy but very short lasting, Schwalbe One which were just shit and some Michelins a long time ago. I'm back on Conti GPs and immediately felt at home.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Vredestein forteza senso. (all weather)
Great grip, feel, rolling and tough/durable AF for their (240g) weight. Roads aren't in the best condition round here and I'm no fair weather roadie.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
There's a reusable Caffelatex rim strip too, but the bit suggesting a layer of electrical tape first sounds a bit sucky.

I'd still rather someone made a heatshrink rim strip.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I think the thinnest, most sticky-est tape wins. To me that was Schwalbe's tape that came with their dual core dealio set up (never tried buying it by itself). 2nd place is Stan's. IMO. Which is what I currently use. Obviously, Yes, width matters. (that's what she said)

Also, Schwalbe's tire levers are awesome as they are super thin. Too bad I lost them on a ride somewhere. Otherwise I use Pedros tire levers. You know, the yellow ones. And they are not thin, but are comfortable on the hands.

dgriff

Chimp
Jan 8, 2020
I switched to Orange Seal (regular, not endurance) on my road bike this year. Haven't had a puncture to test it yet but from when I was looking into sealant for higher pressures that seemed to be the top choice for a decent amount of people.
And I got a puncture on my first road ride after typing this. Can confirm it works though. My road tires are 26c, pumped up to 85psi with 1-2oz of sealant. Lost a good bit of pressure before it sealed but it was still rideable as long as you weren't railing corners. Evenutally stopped to top it off with CO2 and it held up fine for another ~18 miles until I got home.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
How? Mavic UST or did you get your hands on custom rims and build by feeding the nipple through the valve hole?
Light Bicycle rims that I ask for without inner holes.
Start opposite from valve hole and work toward it.
Stick derailleur cable in spoke hole and push to valve hole.
Reach tweezers in inner valve hole and grab cable.
Thread nipple on cable and use gravity, wiggling, and pulling to bring it to the spoke hole.

This technique can also be used to replace a nipple without having to cut and plug or redo rim tape.
The rim must have at least 15ish mm vertical space inside.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
We are gonna need a video, because I can’t picture why you would do this, exactly?
Didn't I say this already?

And whatever happened to magnets (and a cut piece of spoke to drag the nipple) ?