Quantcast

Took a Spin on a 29er tonight........fun!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Well tonight I went back and paid a visit to Scott's Cyclery in Willimantic, CT - I used to live in Mansfield, CT and Scott's was my LBS back then.

It is a cool shop - filled with a lot of old school stuff as well as some nice new road bikes etc. etc......just one of those unique kinds of shops.

Well they had an older Fisher Mt. Tam sitting there - so I took her out for a little spin around the parking lot and side street adjacent to the shop. This 29er fit me well and I felt like I was sitting "in between" the wheels so to speak, vs. being up on top of the bike. The bigger wheels were pretty damned cool and boy was this thing light for a 29er - I guess it was due to the AL frame and the XT and XTR level stuff on it as well as it being a V-brake bike vs. a disc bike. Was significantly lighter than my Surly. The ride was a little harsh due to the frame being AL, but I did like the bigger wheels, they sure do roll over stuff real real easily that's fo sho.

It was my first time throwing a leg over one of these and pedalling it around for a bit - made me want to take it out for a day on the trails. Maybe I'll have to call Scott up and see if he'd let me do that. :D

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
hooples3 said:
you mean you didnt come home with it??? last time i test rode.. i brought it home with me
Nope - you see Scott's is a funny shop - he has a ton of New Old Stock items, yet he sorta refuses to lower his prices very much.

He still has some old RS Mag 21s hanging from the walls, Old Trek Singletrack type hardtails, old Mavic headsets, all sorts of old stuff, but he doen's lower his price much.

It is like visiting a museum in some respects stepping in there.

He had a sweet Apple Green Schwinn Apple Crate maybe in the shop tonight - the thing was straight up pimpin. :D

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
mack said:
When are you going to buy a DH bike? Have you ridden Price's vetanna yet?

Haha - well Price's Ventana is sans cranks right now - so nope I haven't ridden it. It is a nice bike though.

I should get my ass to bed.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I do think DHing is cool - but it is also expensive and hard to do often - unless you are up for driving 1.5 hours and paying about 30 bucks or so a day to ride.

If I were to get a big bike (haven't ruled it out) it would have to be something that could still be pedaled around a bit (something like a Balfa 2Step FR, or an Iron Horse 7 point series, or a Bullit or something like that).

But for a hardtail - I'm leaning towards thinking that a 29er may be the way to go in the future.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
N8 said:
You'd better say you are getting one so you can still hang with all the 'cool' people here... ;)
because the rightist 29" wheel crowd is certainly the antithesis of cool. that club's membership is tiny for a reason. :oink: