Quantcast

took another sip of the kool-aid

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
so i got another taste of this "29er thing" on sunday. i went to the SoCal Fat Tire Fest put on by CORBA and the guys from niner bikes were out with some demo rides. i got to take out an orange SIR9 set up singlespeed with a rigid fork. the bike was a size large (19" ST and 24.5 TTT) and set with a 70mm stem and a set of bars with a ton of sweep (can't remember the brand name).

it was a blast to ride. i loved the super simple set up. it was awesome to not have to think about shifting. there were some times on the flats where i wanted more gear to pick up some speed. however, on the climbs, the gearing was just right and i was able to move up a pretty good slope on a fire road without having too much trouble.

the demo was at Malibu Creek State Park which as a very techy rockgarden section called Crags. there are lots of small up/downhills and tons of rocks and roots. i was able to plow throug quite a bit of it without too much trouble. the biggest issues i had were with getting comfortable with the super-sweepy bars and the fact the bottom bracket was so low that i kept slamming my pedals into rocks (the frame has an EBB and it was set in a low BB-spindle height position).

i have to say that for riding a 19" frame with 29" wheels i would have expected the thing to feel like i was on stilts. instead, it felt very comfortable and i was able to get through the rough stuff much easier than i thought i would. i was also pretty comfortable taking the bike back down the steep fireroad i climbed up. damn fine handling for a rigid fork.

bottom line - i'm getting closer to buing one of these 29 bikes. i'm definitely going rigid, steel, and singlespeed. i want to try another brand before i make any final decisions. i emailed vassago and they gave me some contact info for some people in san diego and OC that i should meet up with for demo rides.

:lighten: 29 = :clapping:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Cool - keep us posted!

How close are you to The Path Bike Shop? Might be worth it to pay them a visit. They carry a lot of 29ers and 29er parts from what I hear/read.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
the path is on the list. they aren't too far as the crow flies, but traffic makes it a beast to get down there.

i guess it would be nice to know if anyone has experience on the Niner and can compare it to other bikes (On-One, Vassago Jabberwocky, Redline, etc.). thanks!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I rode an Niner EMD 9 briefly and really liked it a lot for an AL hardtail.

I also had an Inbred - great steel frame and geometry. The new ones are even nicer in my opinion and a great deal for a complete bike (via Jenson or Pricepoint). Brant runs a great company too!!

The Niner guys seem very good as well in terms of their level of customer service and hey - all they do is 29" stuff - that's pretty cool in and of itself.

Good luck and keep us posted when you take the plunge into the cool-aid pool!

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
I've been riding a gary fisher ferrous (ebb/steel/made in Wisconsin) for almost a year. I got really lucky finding one in stock right when they came out. I love the bike so very much. If you get the opportunity to ride one check it out as they are a blast.
I don't have any experience riding a niner but have checked em out at the LBS and they seem to be really nice.