kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
THat's awesome. I can't wait until my little baby girl is big enough to get out there to teach. I have a little while though. She's only 10 months old right now.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Yeah you have some time....

I may have jumped the gun a little taking him last year a few times, it wasn't until yesterday which was his 6th time going all together that he was able to link some turns together. It's a lot of fun though.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
:thumb: Very cool!!!

We've debated taking Sydney. Sq-Earl skied when he was younger and we all snowmobile (she just got her own for Christmas) and snowshoe so we already have some winter hobbies, but I think she'd enjoy it and it's much easier to learn when you're younger.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
I started skiing when I was 6. When I was an snowboarding instructor in college my best students were 6-9. It seemed like the older they get the longer it took them to pick it up. The college kids were really tough.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I noticed the same when I instructed, 7-9 year old girls picked it up no problem, little boys were a bit more stubborn and didn't listen as well.

My boy turned 6 in august, snowboarded a little last year, and 3 times so far this year, he finally figured out how to link his turns together yesterday, so he should really get the hang of it quickly now.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
My dad had me on skis at age 2 and I had my first season pass when I was 3. Although my grandpa was a ski patrol and my dad was the race coach so my season pass was free. I was a ski instructor when I was in high school and my thought was usually the earlier you can get the kids on skis/boards the better.

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
Nice!!! We'll be taking teh 5 year old up this year, started him when he was three, but we are 2 plankers... did he start on skis? Or straight to the board?

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Nice!!! We'll be taking teh 5 year old up this year, started him when he was three, but we are 2 plankers... did he start on skis? Or straight to the board?
I started him on the board. I was a little concerned he would get discouraged and not enjoy it. I mean anyone with an ounce of athletic ability can snowplow down a hill on skis (don't mistake that comment for me thinking skiing is easy, skiing takes YEARS to get very good at in comparison to a board) but on a board you must learn how to turn it to be able to ride down the hill with out catching edges and falling.

A lot of people who I used to instruct with (2000 ish)always said kids shouldn't board until they are either 7 or 8 or have skied first.

I dunno how much of that I believe in, but either way, I started him on a board because it is what he said he wanted to learn to do instead of skiing, it was his choice.

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
I started him on the board. I was a little concerned he would get discouraged and not enjoy it. I mean anyone with an ounce of athletic ability can snowplow down a hill on skis (don't mistake that comment for me thinking skiing is easy, skiing takes YEARS to get very good at in comparison to a board) but on a board you must learn how to turn it to be able to ride down the hill with out catching edges and falling.

A lot of people who I used to instruct with (2000 ish)always said kids shouldn't board until they are either 7 or 8 or have skied first.

I dunno how much of that I believe in, but either way, I started him on a board because it is what he said he wanted to learn to do instead of skiing, it was his choice.
Nice! I was an instructor for 5 years (until I got preggo with the little one), and heard the same thing about starting them later. We put our little guy on skis because I was a ski instructor and though I can teach boarding too, Lucas sees me ski, so that's what he wants to do. It's so cool so see such a little guy on a board though! Maybe Lucas will have to see your little man's pics! :)

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Nice! I was an instructor for 5 years (until I got preggo with the little one), and heard the same thing about starting them later. We put our little guy on skis because I was a ski instructor and though I can teach boarding too, Lucas sees me ski, so that's what he wants to do. It's so cool so see such a little guy on a board though! Maybe Lucas will have to see your little man's pics! :)
I have some better pics on my facebook, those were actually supposed to come through as video's.

I think that is why Xander chose to snowboard, simply cause that is what I do. I taught a few lessons back in the day on ski's too, I can wedge turn and wedge to parralell like no body's business lol.

After snowboarding for so long (I started in 91) I wonder from time to time how fun it would be to ski again.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
Nice! Definitely harder to learn to snowboard but you progress faster. Easier to learn to ski, but it takes years and years to master.
"A new skier will be better after a day or two but a new snowboarder will be better after a year".

I started skiing at age 6 in '78 and started snowboarding at 14 in '86 and haven't looked back. I did however ski during the training weekend to become a snowboard instructor. Their rational was that there may be a case where I would have to teach skiing or if we couldn't ski then it would show us what it was like to be a beginner. I had never been on shaped skies and it was much easier. They also made us ride switch. At the time I had an asymetrical alpine carving board with just a tiny curve in back. It was tough but I managed much better than I thought seeing as how I never ride switch. However, I did probably the worst fly swatter ever at the bottom trying to stop. :)

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I actually taught a few lessons on skis when I was a snowboard instructor. Went to the rental department, suited up, and then there I was teaching myself and 5 kids how to do snowplows and wedge turns lol

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Took him out again, made some good progress, unfortunately after I buckled him in he took off on me and I didn't catch the top portion of his run, he was also pretty tired (we rode for almost 7 hours) , and at the end of his run he tried to do some sort of jump and lost his balance and caught his heel edge, but it was a pretty good run. We had a great day.

302 Found