Quantcast

Tool Nerds, Questions and Tool Snobbery

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Been pretty pleased with my Dewalt 20V heat gun, but then again I'm mostly only using it for heat shrink and some plastic forming.
Yeah they seem to be far better than the Milwaukee one we have at work, it would stuggle to reheat a slice of toast.
I got a 36V Steinel at something like 70% off, I would have been pissed if I paid anywhere near full price.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
jesus, I aint showing my tool drawers off to any of you neat freaks.
haven’t posted here in part for the same reason. I am not a tool nerd or snob. If it does the job, great… gets put away (and often not) and onto the next.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I try to keep my stuff organized enough I can find it when I need it. My tool chests are reasonably organized, but not foam cutout levels of organized.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Trim around my back door was damaged and needed replacing. Problem is that it is probably 70 years old and I cannot find a matching pattern. I could replace all of it but part of my kitchen countertops are tightly coped around the trim profile. So I decided I could try to repair what I had, put some packaging tape over a good section of the trim and made a pattern with epoxy putty. This let me draw out filler in the correct shape around the damaged parts. 3-D printed a detail sanding tool to rough in the filler then used the epoxy pattern as sanding block finalize the shape. Looks like it will all work out well.

1639442341200.png

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Trim around my back door was damaged and needed replacing. Problem is that it is probably 70 years old and I cannot find a matching pattern. I could replace all of it but part of my kitchen countertops are tightly coped around the trim profile. So I decided I could try to repair what I had, put some packaging tape over a good section of the trim and made a pattern with epoxy putty. This let me draw out filler in the correct shape around the damaged parts. 3-D printed a detail sanding tool to rough in the filler then used the epoxy pattern as sanding block finalize the shape. Looks like it will all work out well.

View attachment 168777
Should have filled it in with Ramen noodles.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Had to change a hydro hose when it ended up too short. Internal would normally be a PITA, but a tandem shift cable ran through both the old and new hose section, then just pulled the shift cable through the frame worked like a cham.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Do you guys know if you can still pressurize some of the current brakes to get rid of some of the slack and add modulation? I know with the old shimano stuff I could use a syringe and give aa few more PSI to take out the lever creep. Any of the new brakes allow this or all of them? been out of the bike brakes game for a while.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Do you guys know if you can still pressurize some of the current brakes to get rid of some of the slack and add modulation? I know with the old shimano stuff I could use a syringe and give aa few more PSI to take out the lever creep. Any of the new brakes allow this or all of them? been out of the bike brakes game for a while.
Wut?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
If anyone ever wants a set of wobble extensions, Koken make a wicked set, they are so handy for spinning sparkplugs in.
For cracking stupidly tight stuff they aren't what you want, the twist in the middle makes my shitty Snap-On battery ratchet's ratchet change direction when the fastener cracks. I assume they waist the middle to make them less likely to snap the wobble end off, if you are cracking bolts in the wobble mode they will die pretty quickly anyway.
1640055641400.png

1640055878902.png

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I actually have a whole set of wobble sockets by tekton, a little spendy but awesome on the end of a long extension or for work you dont have to hold on to.
They look good, knurling is awesome to have!

Just got two more sizes to get, 1/4" something and M6 fine.
P_20211226_192422_1.jpg

I got some cheap Chinese HSS BSPT taps coz I'd only ever tap in to cast iron or aluminium and you don't need great taps for that.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Ahhh crap, sneaky first bid got me, seems I bought a torque multiplier from Spain, damn.
1640807897779.png

EDIT- Seller refunded me as postage was going to be 110 Uuuuuroze instead of 30 as Ebay had guesstimated, neither of us wanted to pay the extra 80.

Last edited:

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Those look to function exactly like these Bondhus K10 HEX-PRO Pivot Head Wrench Set,Incl Sizes: 3, 4, 5, 6, 8 & 10mm 6PC, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000TYDW2U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_ZTB79WCTDNNYR9E4RZRW

Which I have and are the shit! Rarely even use my T handles anymore, these are just faster. Only downside is that they aren’t really the same in terms of quality to the offer Bondhus hex wrenches i have
I was trying to get my local shop to get some of them in a while ago so I could have a look, the design looks awesome but they are made in Taiwan so I don't know who makes them. I hate using the Bondhus T Wrenches, they can be pretty brutal on the wrist when bolts crack.

Work gave me an SP sliding handle set but they were shit so I gave them away.
1641152974898.png

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Says they will come feb 1st via the slow boat from japan. We shall see.

View attachment 169822
Haha, is that Amazon? I couldn't find them for sale anywhere, I'll get some.
SEK make pretty nice breaker bars too, for some reason most breaker bars have a bunch of slop at the head which makes them shit to use in tight spots, my SEK one is tight as a tight thing.
The place I did my apprenticeship at gave it to me, I had never heard of SEK prior to that.
They look the same as pretty much everything else but are much better in use-
1641153589178.png

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Meh, I spend twice that on fuel every time I hit the pump so no loss to me if they are junk. Always down for new tools to make life easier or tasks more rewarding.
I was talking about the Bondhus being made in Taiwan, the SEKs are made in Japan but the Bondhus ones might be a bit quicker in use...........

The international amazonz

Sweet I'll get some.

Stupid Ebay, bought a PC based battery analyzer-

Last edited:

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
I was trying to get my local shop to get some of them in a while ago so I could have a look, the design looks awesome but they are made in Taiwan so I don't know who makes them. I hate using the Bondhus T Wrenches, they can be pretty brutal on the wrist when bolts crack.

The thing that surprised me is how un-Bondhus they are. Clearly they’re licensed from somebody else, but you’d expect them to at least make the packaging match.

The ability to hold the thing from the long side at any angle abd break bolts loose, then immediately flip up to spring mode makes them stupid fast. I don’t work on a lot of crusty crap so rarely do I need actual torque once the bolt is broken loose. To that end the SEK look awesome since there’s two sized per wrench, I’d be tempted to Frankenstein the 5/6 one into a 5/t25 so that two wrenches covered pretty much an entire bike 3/4/5/t25.

Bondus T wrenches FTL. We buy them for our machinists since they’re cheap, and we can get each size individually. Hot garbage though, that wrist snap is real, my Mac and Matco sets don’t do that, possibly because they’re P handles instead of T?

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
@maxyedor

Knew Concepts coping saw showed up yesterday. Initial impressions are that it's well made and much better than any other coping saw I've ever handled. I don't know if that speaks to the quality of the KC as much as it does the lack of quality of other coping saws. That said, I would be apprehensive to pay the $173 this saw cost (received it as a gift, which is why I'm not more put out).

20220104_100523_copy_477x1008.jpg

Looks good from afar, though the fit and finish are where it loses points.

20220104_100627_copy_477x1008.jpg

Frame looks to be waterjetted, and perhaps lightly tumbled after. They chose to powdercoat it, perhaps to try and hide the rough edges. For the price, I would expect better edge treatments. I also would have preferred an anodized finish, but perhaps that's nitpicky.

20220104_100537_copy_1008x477.jpg

Again, no edge treatments. On a $173 coping saw? Disappointing. Same goes for the handle. It's a garden variety, cheap wood handle, probably the same as you'd find on any Olsen saw. I expect better. You can get an aftermarket handle, but they are $85.

I haven't done much other than make a few small cuts, but it does perform well. No issues with tension or wandering. I'll be doing a bunch of baseboard and crown over the next few months, so I'll see how it holds up.

I'd give it 3.5 stars. Best of the bunch, but it's definitely graded on a curve.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
That is pretty bad given the price. Anno would look much nicer and actually be a lot cheaper and more durable. I guess I'll stick to my $6 Husky coping saw until I have time to make my own in 2000-never. What a bummer.

Woodworking tools are really starting to piss me off. My dad loves Bridge City and won't stop buying them for me, and honestly, they're straight dogshit. The prices are preposterous, the quality is mediocre and the function & ergonomics on most of them are pretty poor. Same with Woodpeckers, bought one of their squares, and exchanged it 3 times before just asking for a refund, how are you a square company and can't make a square square?

I think I'm going to start a tool company, seems like there's a market for tools made by somebody who actually knows wtf they're doing.