Quantcast

Tool Nerds, Questions and Tool Snobbery

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Looks like you could use some Milwaukee packouts
Nah, I like the Sortimo stuff(but don't own any), Packout is shit.

Speaking of shit, this is poop.
It's expensive, it's huge, it has no release lever, takes too much hand pressure and the dies seem to be slightly narrower than everything else I've used.
1643274695394.png
Back to the trusty Click 'n' Crimp, it's cheaper, holds two sets of different dies in the handles, it is way smaller and easier to use.

Last edited:

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
My LBS is retiring and while it's sad, I am happy for my homie to be getting out and chasing the dream. I only used two tools of his and now one of those is mine. I had to buy it cause I ain't taking my frames to just anyone for that deep BB penetration. Now I can do it at home, whenever I want!

122114.jpeg

gonefirefightin

free wieners
My LBS is retiring and while it's sad, I am happy for my homie to be getting out and chasing the dream. I only used two tools of his and now one of those is mine. I had to buy it cause I ain't taking my frames to just anyone for that deep BB penetration. Now I can do it at home, whenever I want!

View attachment 171394
Such an under rated tool, I find myself facing the paint/finish off so many BB's to get a better fit.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

View attachment 171394
you know, i was thinking about asking about facing tools. :shakefist:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
you know, i was thinking about asking about facing tools. :shakefist:
Same here, I searched the internet and like 80% of people think it does nothing, that made me want one even more.

I was looking at the Ice Toolz set with the headset reamer too.
My Marino frame looks like they've let a beaver loose on the HT.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I have a park press but not sure of the model. Will try to remember to check tomorrow.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
The other guys had a bit of a failure today, the last mech treated this think like crap but the aluminum is so thin it has to happen at some point.
P_20220209_162104.jpg

The one in my truck seems pretty gutless compared to this one, not sure why.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Same here, I searched the internet and like 80% of people think it does nothing, that made me want one even more.

TBH, they should do nothing, not on a new frame anyway. New frames should be reamed and faced at the factory, but the bike industry being the bike industry the reamers, taps and facing tools are very necessary. Loved installing BBs and headsets on frames that were prepped just right.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
TBH, they should do nothing, not on a new frame anyway. New frames should be reamed and faced at the factory, but the bike industry being the bike industry the reamers, taps and facing tools are very necessary. Loved installing BBs and headsets on frames that were prepped just right.
I remember talking to dude in a bike shop and he said some of the BMX headtubes with drop in headsets weren't post weld machined so they had some pretty crazy headset fitment.
Friends occasionally ask why I don't work on bikes, the shit build quality and the billion stupid standards is why, fuck bikes! Plus my memory sucks so I'd have to be hidden in a dungeon with no distractions and have some room to throw stuff with no consequences.

On a different note, my boss rang me yesterday to swear about my socket set, he took it out of his truck and had to put it down in the middle of the workshop because it is so heavy, hahaha!
P_20220210_104230_1_1.jpg

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
New frames that aren’t reamed and chased/faced are not worth my time.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Today, I got an Amazon Chinese seller special - a pre-cracked torque wrench adapter. Looks like someone used it, broke it, returned it, and they re-sold it as new.

Looks more like a manufacturing defect. The oxide or whatever coating appears to be inside the crack.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
So my ancient Park Tool chain whip doesn't seem to want to work with Eagle cassettes.

Looks like the newer 12 speed compatible version is the SR-12.2, anyone got one or a better suggestion?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
So my ancient Park Tool chain whip doesn't seem to want to work with Eagle cassettes.

Looks like the newer 12 speed compatible version is the SR-12.2, anyone got one or a better suggestion?

Just rivet a discarded 12 speed chain to the old chain whip. I'd say this is what I did but I just used a few bent nails instead of rivets cuz I'm janky like that.

Also found I don't really need a chain whip anymore, the cogs are large enough with 12 speed that I can generate enough torque by just grabbing the outer cog while wearing a welding glove.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Just rivet a discarded 12 speed chain to the old chain whip. I'd say this is what I did but I just used a few bent nails instead of rivets cuz I'm janky like that.

Also found I don't really need a chain whip anymore, the cogs are large enough with 12 speed that I can generate enough torque by just grabbing the outer cog while wearing a welding glove.
This is the way of the ham fist.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I have a 1/2" adaptor in an impact driver to get the cassettes off.
I bought an impact driver to get a free drill, removing cassettes is pretty much the impact driver's only purpose in life.

Purchased a new cordless Steinel heat gun, since they have gone from Bosch Batteries to Metabo I think I'll be up to seven chargers at work, yay.
The price in Aus was proper nuts so I bought the skin from Italy and waited for a local deal on a Metabo 8AH battery and charger as they cost less than half the price of the ones with Steinel stickers on them.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I have a 1/2" adaptor in an impact driver to get the cassettes off.
I bought an impact driver to get a free drill, removing cassettes is pretty much the impact driver's only purpose in life.

Purchased a new cordless Steinel heat gun, since they have gone from Bosch Batteries to Metabo I think I'll be up to seven chargers at work, yay.
The price in Aus was proper nuts so I bought the skin from Italy and waited for a local deal on a Metabo 8AH battery and charger as they cost less than half the price of the ones with Steinel stickers on them.
Love my impact for cassettes, spindles and BB's (in reverse of course)

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

I used to do this with a rag/old t-shirt, cassette tool, adjustable wrench...and hammer.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
It is good to have the right tools for the job. Also good to know how to get the job done when you don't have the right tools available.
I got the job done. Dug out an old 9 speed chain, wrapped around the cassette and stood on the end. That cassette had been ugga duggad on at the factory.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

I have the old Park Tool whip, which I think has a 9 speed chain on it?

It works for me on Eagle, but yah gotta be perfect with it or it'll slip pretty good.

If I were shopping for a new tool, I think personally I'd go with one of the plier type cassette tools. A whip always seems too finicky and easy to screw up when trying to juggle it, a beer and the lock ring tool.

Last edited:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Speaking of taps...anyone got a good recommendation for a set? Don't need something exhaustive, but the common sae and metric sizes would be nice.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Irwin or any of the rebranded Irwin sets out there. Not the best, far from the worst, and fairly priced. I bought the Matco version solely for the free replacements when they wear out.
Wouldn't you know it, Project Farm released their tap n die test yesterday. Irwin and Craftsman came out on top.