Quantcast

Tool Nerds, Questions and Tool Snobbery

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Wouldn't you know it, Project Farm released their tap n die test yesterday. Irwin and Craftsman came out on top.

Many moons ago when I was a travelling wrench I always used Craftsman taps largely because when you were in bumblefuck USA you used to always be able to find a SEARS. I once won a $100 bet by tapping over 100 M4 blind holes using a drill without breaking a tap.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Any particular reason? Partial to split dies?

This is the kit to get, by far the most complete and irwin makes it easy to replace onesies twozies of the kit if and when they break.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
A die is only good for making something fucked, slightly less fucked.

Hex or round are both just rusty claw hammers for threads.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Where do you order from. Need get shipped to USA. I already have the park tool for bsa and just need the taps. Do the taps fit the park tool?
I found mine on a random Dutch website. I found it through image searching. I have no idea if they fit the Park Tool.

These were the only two site I found with stock. Peter at Ceeway probably has them but you’d have to email him.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I'm not sure what really happened here, I questioned a seller about postage almost a month after paying for my item.
They said they packaged it but didn't have any postage details from when they sent it so they'd send a second item.
I thought they meant that they had sent one already, but they sent two in one box........

I bought it used but they retail for 1000USD with a power supply, guess I sell one now, hahaha!
IMGP0571 (2).jpg

I hate the world of batteries so I want to be able to check to see I got what I paid for.
For Ni-Mh batteries I only buy Eneloop Pro or FDK batteries as everything else I have tried has been shit.

I'm not sure what really happened here, I questioned a seller about postage almost a month after paying for my item.
They said they packaged it but didn't have any postage details from when they sent it so they'd send a second item.
I thought they meant that they had sent one already, but they sent two in one box........

I bought it used but they retail for 1000USD with a power supply, guess I sell one now, hahaha!
View attachment 172090
I hate the world of batteries so I want to be able to check to see I got what I paid for.
For Ni-Mh batteries I only buy Eneloop Pro or FDK batteries as everything else I have tried has been shit.
Returning one would seem the more ethical option...

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Returning one would seem the more ethical option...
No, the second was sent as an apology of sorts for the month delay.
I didn't get two arrive individually, the seller asked if sending a second would be okay, I said that that would be a bit over the top and that they didn't need to(and I was struggling to work out what they were offering).
I'm not that much of an asshole, I told a dude at the LBS a couple of weeks back that he had undercharged me by $100, so he added $110 to the bill, jerk, hahaha!

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Yay finally, the 72T ratchets are available down at the asshole end of the globe.
1645517368064.png

I got a stubby, bendy Gearwrench but it has too much backdrag and you can't hold your finger on the back of the head to make it ratchet.

Ordered a Zerk Zapper from the good Ol' USA, have been getting a few grease nipples that just won't clear, this should sort them out quick smart.
1645610471709.png

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Got stuck last week with a twisting locknut on a starter and didn't have anything to hold it.
This was all I could see in stock that wasn't an Irega or a Chinese one that cost too much, it looks acceptable and the split thumb screw is nice.
IMGP5003.jpg

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
@maxyedor, chisels and planes, got any recommendations? Veritas or Lie Nielsen the go-to choices? I don't use either frequently, though that might change if I had more pleasurable options to use.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Narex for chisels, Veritas PMV-11 are much nicer, but you can't beat the value of the Narex stuff. There are other good brands, but those are the two that I would look at, best bang for your buck by a long shot.

Planes, sorta depends on what you're after, good user planes or heirloom stuff. Definitely start with a block plane though, you'll use the shit out of it around the house fitting doors, installing trim, etc.

I have a beater Stanly No 9 that I bought right when I got into woodworking and use the shit out of it. Given that I use it as often as I do, I probably should have bought a Nielsen or Veritas, but it works so I've stuck with it. I also have a LN 140 skew rabbet block plane and a Bridge City HP9. The skew is great, but wouldn't be my first buy as it's a tool for a specific purpose, the BCT is an ergonomic disaster, feels like crap in the hand. One day I'll catch these in-stock, I'll use it enough to justify the price http://www.veritastools.com/Products/Page.aspx?p=485

The rest of mine are a mix of old Stanley, LN and Veritas, plus a couple other BCTs I rarely ever touch. Of the bunch the Veritas are may favorites, they're the logical evolution of a handplane. The Stanley planes used to be cheap, but prices have gotten so outrageous that they're almost not worth mentioning anymore, so I'd go LN if you want a classic style plane, but if it's just a user, Veritas are the shit!

Be careful with ebay, I'm about to list most of my LN stuff because their planes are selling for well over MSRP despite being in-stock at LN.

I've heard lots of good things about Wood River/Luban, but never payed with one, may snag a Luban off Alibaba to see what they're all about.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Rabble rabble rabble!
Box came today but it has some rust running out from a couple of rivnuts, looks like it has been in storage for a long time, maybe someone from Intense did the powder coating.
IMG_20220329_210058.jpg

Main reason I wanted a wide box was to be able to fit the big torque wrench in, didn't want to have it laying around the shop.
I've still got to get the wrench extension handle, was supposed to get one from the UK but they gave me a price and that was it.
image000000 (1).jpg

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Get hadley to make a 108!!! Then it would be cool like his old school hubs.
Gearwrench have a 144t, I haven't tried one but if they are reliable it would be handy.
I think Snap-On have some crazy numbers too, but I'm not Snap-On rich. At some point a socket has to be hit on to a bolt with a lump hammer to make shit happen, fuck doing that with a $50 socket, I'll keep my cheapies and treat them as consumables:rockout:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Gearwrench have a 144t, I haven't tried one but if they are reliable it would be handy.
I think Snap-On have some crazy numbers too, but I'm not Snap-On rich. At some point a socket has to be hit on to a bolt with a lump hammer to make shit happen, fuck doing that with a $50 socket, I'll keep my cheapies and treat them as consumables:rockout:
Yeah don't do snap on...I had 2 ratchets keep breaking and a ratcheting breaker bar with swivel head keep going out...had the 2 piston jack 1 piston went belly up seal wise 6 months paid $550 for it on sale...

Snap on and their big white candy van I'll avoid like chester the molester in his white van. Both are gonna show you shiny things in one hand while doing a reach around on you...at least snap on I get a warranty though..lol

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I snapped the head off a swivel head breaker bar once(not Snap-On), that's somewhat scary when it happens, the whole head snapped not the square drive.
I have this as my go to ratchet in my tool bag, it is good but the handle did go to poop with how oily I leave it.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I snapped the head off a swivel head breaker bar once(not Snap-On), that's somewhat scary when it happens, the whole head snapped not the square drive.
I have this as my go to ratchet in my tool bag, it is good but the handle did go to poop with how oily I leave it.
HF has a jack that's a copy of the snap on made same place just a smidge less high end internals...works amazing looks identical still $300+ but alot less than snaop and a buddy has one that's been solid since day 1. Damn good jack.

From what I gathered from a conservation with a designer at park tool they utilize the proto tool factory.damn good tools

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I bought a bunch of NOS 70s or early 80's Proto stuff and it is shit, I reckon they'd be the only company that would have improved under Stanley B&D ownership, hahaha!

I didn't want to spend much money on imperial tools coz I hate the system so I bought a bulk lot of Proto, it wasn't shiny and it was cheap so it seemed perfect. I don't use it much because everything is so heavy and it bends easily, it all lives in the workshop.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Since all of my tools are scattered to the four winds I had to put together a trouble shooting/maintenance kit just for the coach. Pretty impressed with amazons price point of tools lately.

07E79932-B995-4941-B5A0-EFC38012D893.jpeg

Will have to buy some rather beefy hydraulic terminal crimpers when I start on the solar project but that can wait till I have parts in hand, for now I am just going over everything and prepping everything for solar.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Rabble rabble rabble!
Box came today but it has some rust running out from a couple of rivnuts, looks like it has been in storage for a long time, maybe someone from Intense did the powder coating. View attachment 174194

Main reason I wanted a wide box was to be able to fit the big torque wrench in, didn't want to have it laying around the shop.
I've still got to get the wrench extension handle, was supposed to get one from the UK but they gave me a price and that was it.
View attachment 174389
It's getting replaced, I agreed to a $150 tool voucher then pulled the drawers to make it easier to lift and there was more rust along the seams.
Seems someone is going to inspect a replacement then drive it ~130km to my place of work, not bad I guess but a decent box to start with would have been better.

It is otherwise fantastic, two power lead holes, full length drawers have strengthening underneath, there is a latch for each drawer so they don't auto open and tip the box over when you go for a high speed corner in the workshop.
It's still not Snap-On or Waterloo quality, but the price reflects that.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Since all of my tools are scattered to the four winds I had to put together a trouble shooting/maintenance kit just for the coach. Pretty impressed with amazons price point of tools lately.

View attachment 174433

Will have to buy some rather beefy hydraulic terminal crimpers when I start on the solar project but that can wait till I have parts in hand, for now I am just going over everything and prepping everything for solar.
I recommend adding a cheap gas sniffer wand to your kit. I caught a few leaks that developed in my setup via the sniffer.

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009

New arrivals. A set of double ended flex hex and torx similar to the SEK posted earlier. Saw those and when I went looking for them on Amazon.jp found these instead.

Took the 3mm off and swapped the T25 in. The T25 - 4mm and 5mm - 6mm will be the perfect pairing for all bike work. These have some heft to them, I wonder if they will feel like overkill for using on bike stuff.

Tagged some Engineer made in Japan Tetsuwan scissors onto the order. Heard great things about these scissors.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009

New arrivals. A set of double ended flex hex and torx similar to the SEK posted earlier. Saw those and when I went looking for them on Amazon.jp found these instead.

Took the 3mm off and swapped the T25 in. The T25 - 4mm and 5mm - 6mm will be the perfect pairing for all bike work. These have some heft to them, I wonder if they will feel like overkill for using on bike stuff.

Tagged some Engineer made in Japan Tetsuwan scissors onto the order. Heard great things about these scissors.
Are they the scissors that reviewers find dangerous? There's a wire cutter that can somehow kill you....

I am shit at not ordering tools-
1649244147743.png

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
I have no doubt these scissors could kill someone. Some serious kit.

Just ordered a couple tools off Aliexpress, we'll see how they are.

A bb press.

I have just been tapping in my press fit bb92 with a small nylon face hammer.

Hose barb tool.

We'll see how they are when they show up in a month.