Quantcast

Tool Nerds, Questions and Tool Snobbery

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
How many tool boxes do you have? :rofl:

I got dibs on all duplicate tools.
Just two and a drawer set for the overflow.
The other day there was a bolt in a prick of a spot so I grabbed a 22mm from each set, it was then that I realised I have a problem.
IMG_20221118_063901.jpg

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I like these style of punches coz if you get them stuck in something you can catch the edge with another punch to get them back out, unlike the single piece ones.
They also make great roll pin starters after you bend or snap them beyond repair.
IMG_20221118_231820.jpg

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I got to my in-laws house only to be told I needed to fix something under the counter. Needed a big philips screwdriver. Of course I don't have any tools with me. Quick trip to the pawn shop and I had a Fuller 314 for the costly sum of $1.00. It wasn't even used up yet. Score!

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
@HardtailHack I think you gotta try your hand at frame building. You are way too mechanically inclined and picky not to!
Nah I'm good, I wouldn't trust myself to weld a bike rack up, no way I'd do a bike.
I put new pistons and seals in the calipers on my first car and I was petrified that I was going to die every time I went to press the brake pedal for weeks afterwards.
I am hopefully going to try the TIG welder at work over Christmas, it would be nice to be able to TIG the aluminum repairs we have to do rather than relying on a spool gun. One of my riding buddies teaches welding for a living so I can always get help off him.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
God damn it, promised myself no tool purchasing this week. I don't have a jump pack for work and all the fake specs of the little jump packs annoy me.
I couldn't find a decent lithium battery without Chinese cells so I bought an American made AGM battery, some Italian made clamps, Aussie cable. I'm yet to get an anti zap thing because I can only find one non far east made item but it has alligator clamps on it which I don't want, I also don't know what is inside the anti zap things, cap and a diode????
Maybe there is some sort of semi precious stone in the box that aligns the e chakras.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
The little jump packs are tanks. You probably should have gone that way. I wish I did, my agm don’t hold or even really take a charge anymore and it’s only like 8 years old.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
The little jump packs are tanks. You probably should have gone that way. I wish I did, my agm don’t hold or even really take a charge anymore and it’s only like 8 years old.
Yeah, but I am a crazy person and it shits me that lithium goes from Aus to China and back to Aus in battery form.
I was going to originally get a hybrid pack from BC but their 100% made in Italy claim is a load of shit.
I have gone with a pretty big 18AH Odyssey battery, I might add some supercaps to help with starting diesels. There's a roll of 35mm cable at home so that will get used, it'll be big enough for a short run.

EDIT- Finally ordered all the bits to make one of these-
It will be handy for seized bolts and maybe trying to harden some random tools.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I don't recommend tools much coz I buy weird stuff, but these are freaking awesome! Also I hate Amazon but the Aussie price for these things is pretty nuts!
Stolen from Reddit-
1670501022119.png

They are longer than a normal spanner and the open end is fairly thin so it gets in to places that you'd want to put a spanner.
But, as they are thin you can't put huge load on the open end or it will spread, luckily there is a second end for hulk tight stuff.