Quantcast

Tool Nerds, Questions and Tool Snobbery

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Who makes those? I see a lot of the Halder type clamshell head design, but not familiar with those pictured.
It just a tiny Aussie company, I don't think they even have a website.
Thor are probably the most common trade grade soft face hammer over here but the prices are crazy, over double what they sell for in the UK.

With that said the one I ordered is pretty damn dear but they are made here and have an aussie hardwood handle so I am sort of happy to pay the money.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Nabbed a used once Snap-On oil pressure test kit for 50 dollarydoos.
IMG_20230210_191556.jpg

Dude was a nice bloke but he was a staunch Snap-On supporter, that's a religion I don't understand.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I haven't noticed much of a durability difference between my Snap on and Craftsman tools after however many decades of using them, but I have not been a professional mechanic.
The are both fine for most tasks, with the performance differences mostly appearing at the ends of the spectrum. Snap-On also tends to be slimmer, tighter fitting, and have a better fit/finish.

I've justified buying Snap-On ratchets, wrenches, and some frequently used sockets/bit drivers, but the math doesn't work for most of the other tools unless they are being used in a professional environment.

Craftsman tools were great, warranty was awesome, then they got sold and the warranty means nothing now.
I was perfectly happy with Craftsman when they were USA sourced and I could walk into a Sears anywhere to buy or warranty them. They were reasonably priced and had satisfactory performance. The pros outweighed the cons. Now, not so much.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I recently got some 125mm Knipex pliers wrench to complement my 180mm. Now I want the 250mm...and needle-nose pliers...and cobras, etc.

Such nice tools, it's hard to buy anything else.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Two sleep deprived purchases, dickhead!
IMG_20230215_154248.jpg

IMG_20230215_154151.jpg

I should set up some sort of reaction time test on my computer so I can't buy stuff if I am overly tired.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I feel like part of your ASE Certification as a mechanic should include a course on how to not spend 3x your paycheck on the tool truck. Instead they give you a gift certificate to get you started on your path to financial ruin.

The dumb shit some of the guys I've work with finance of the tool trucks is shocking. Since most trucks have a maximum monthly payment guys will just keep buying dumb shit like knives, sunglasses, jerky, flashlights, etc from the tool trucks for inflated prices simply so their wife doesn't find out since all they see is the monthly payment, not how large the debt is.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
20230219_142906_copy_1008x477_1.jpg

Bought these a while back and hadn't had an occassion to use them, but these Collins Tool Co pinch clamps are the bees knees for stuff like this. Allowed me to use wood glue instead of CA and pulled the joint nice and tight. Highly recommend for keeping mitered corners together.

Last edited:

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I recently got a Park WH-1 wheel holder tool.

Arguably unnecessary and overpriced, but extremely useful when working on wheels. I like it even more than I expected.

Highly recommended if you like tools that make your life easier.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
I recently got a Park WH-1 wheel holder tool.

Arguably unnecessary and overpriced, but extremely useful when working on wheels. I like it even more than I expected.

Highly recommended if you like tools that make your life easier.
Seems like such a useful thing, and I'm usually willing to go along with the nonsensical pricing for bike-related stuff, but it's reaaaaly hard to justify $120 on that.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Seems like such a useful thing, and I'm usually willing to go along with the nonsensical pricing for bike-related stuff, but it's reaaaaly hard to justify $120 on that.
I agree totally. I've been checking it for a while, refusing to pay so much for so little.

I took advantage of a 20% discount at JensonUSA to finally pull the trigger. Still too expensive for what it is, but so convenient when installing/removing rotors and cassettes, taping rims, cracking the bead to add tubeless sealant. I expected it to be useful, but I appreciate it even more than I initially thought. This is why I posted here.

One unexpected trick: For screwing and unscrewing rotor bolts, you can just insert the torx tool and spin the wheels on the WH-1. Very satisfying! :D

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I didn't have space on the bench for the WH-1, but did for the WH-2, which is the same thing but only holds the wheel in the vertical position. It was about 1/2 the price I think and have used it enough to justify the $50-60 I spent on it. It's great even to just have a safe place to keep wheels that are off the bike while working on something, not that leaning against a wall hasn't worked since the invention of the wheel.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
While the idea of one of those wheel holders is nice, I'm way too cheap for that.

Never even considered working on wheel stuff like that. Great idea!

Vice + soft jaws + old axles FTW!

IMG_0093.JPG
IMG_0094.JPG

Last edited: