Quantcast

Tool Nerds, Questions and Tool Snobbery

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Yeah true about cross threading. Hopefully these pins help, so I don't have to juggle the wheel while trying to get one of the bolts started!
I think my old Volvo had a pin that went in to some sorta poor fitting slot but I remember it not helping, the things you are getting would be very handy.
My Vulva also had stupid wheels, all spokes on the outside and no support on the inside so one cracked as loads of them do. There's a Benz dealer near work that sells lots of new wheels for the same reason, our roads are not good for many Euro wheels.
I saw a broken Alcoa truck wheel a few weeks back, id hope it wasn't from a pot hole, two years of rain has been hard on the roads.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Studs are also cheaper than bolts if you also have winter wheels with normal conical lugs along with using factory wheels with ball lugs. A set of studs with both style nuts is cheaper than a set of conical bolts that aren’t made from recycled dishwashers.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'd assume it's for cheapness, same as engines.
It makes no sense in any way shape or form.

If you crossthread something you don't replace a single stud like normal, it's a pain in the ass to mount the wheel, winding a hardened thing in to a soft thing multiple times* seems silly.

*may not be an issue on VWs as tires may outlast the rotors.
I could see VW moving to TTY wheel bolts in the future if their profits ever start to dip.
When I sold my GTI at 180,000 miles it had the original pads and rotors and they looked damn near brand new.

New owner had the original clutch replaced and it reportedly only had about 50% wear. I drove that car like an idiot and destroyed tires in 30,000 miles. Perhaps when you never slow down for corners you baby certain components.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Yeah true about cross threading. Hopefully these pins help, so I don't have to juggle the wheel while trying to get one of the bolts started!
You have to have hammer hands to cross thread a bolt with a good inch of thread engagement.

I always start the bolts by hand with the screwdriver in the toolkit with the hex on the head. Then go nut with the impact wrench. Maybe that isn't part of the toolkit, I have been using mine for ages.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
You have to have hammer hands to cross thread a bolt with a good inch of thread engagement.

I always start the bolts by hand with the screwdriver in the toolkit with the hex on the head. Then go nut with the impact wrench. Maybe that isn't part of the toolkit, I have been using mine for ages.
That is true, but forums give people with hammer hands a can do attitude, and that can be dangerous.
I worked with a mechanic that I'm pretty sure would be able to strip a wheel bolt thread then proceed to rattle it up so he didn't have to admit fault.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Not sure if anyone is looking for some thin wall impact sockets but I found some Genius ones that are well priced, they go stepless from 10-24mm, and the biggie, the sizes are stamped and not laser etched.
1680521356207.png

Every now and then I get a 12 point bolt that needs a rattlin' and my current six point set isn't stepless.

EDIT- Two more sets got ordered at work, other doodz thought they looked good for the money.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Finally happened. Forgot to bring the goddamn centerlock tool on a trip. The “bike shop” had none. Picked up a universal bb/CL tool at the supermarket.
06A87C2E-9EA5-4259-95E5-6B1593D560E6.jpeg

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
This little set is freaking magic, in a week it's been used three times and my boss even decided he needs one.
Because you can lock it at angles it is really useful for flat and Philips head screws as it doesn't require you to press on the back of the head to stop it flopping and dropping the screw, oh and I think it's 72T which is also great.
IMG_20230404_211701.jpg

Screenshot_20230404-212519.png

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Got a link for that? That kit would come in clutch on the Audi.
As much as I hate to link Amazon I couldn't find it easily anywhere else.
Postage seemed to be almost a fixed price so I got the super short ratchet in the pic and a Crow's foot, $20AU postage was fine with the extra items.
If you look to purchase more Tone stuff like ratchets, read the negative reviews. Some of their ratchets use plastic parts on the back of the head. Plus their ratchets don't seem to be for huge torque loads, they are more to get in to tight places. I have a 600mm flex head 1/2“ and it's not as useful as I expected as it is a bit bendy.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Didn't manage to get gaskets through the week so I finally gave in and bought a Maun wad punch set, they are so dear in Oz. It's so British, the case feels like it will last a week and the label that doesn't fit in the molding is about to fall off, the other set in the shop was taped up as the case was already broken.
PXL_20230410_011427729_1.jpg

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Didn't manage to get gaskets through the week so I finally gave in and bought a Maun wad punch set, they are so dear in Oz. It's so British, the case feels like it will last a week and the label that doesn't fit in the molding is about to fall off, the other set in the shop was taped up as the case was already broken.
View attachment 192249
This guy over here keeping it real by making gaskets and replacing turbos on someones front porch. :D

I think we still need a tour of your work truck. :busted:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Yay, finally a paint pen that still works after it gets a bit of oil on the nib.
Pink coz I've never seen a pink filter, so it's visible on everything.
-1722025953796220669.jpg

I blame my old man for my Koken addiction, he's had his set forever, it's missing a screw but has never been serviced and still works a treat.
2875614417786873485.jpg

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Going back to everyone's favorite topic...bearing pullers and presses.

I need to replace the bearings in the rear hub of my road bike, which are 6903. I was planning on ordering the 3/8" Wheels Manufacturing press and the appropriate drifts as well as their expanding collet style blind puller.

Any better options or recommendations? I've replaced suspension linkage bearings as well as press fit bottom brackets/headsets, but don't have anything for hubs.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
That's no fun, I already have all of those things!
I was looking at purchasing a Kukko or Hazet blind puller but the bad reviews and high price put me off, annoyingly the bad reviews were well written, not -Dis is da shittest pulla eva, do knot buy.
I got frustrated and bought nothing.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
20230420_164505_copy_1000x750.jpg

First hand plane acquired, adjustable mouth block plane. Goodness is this a well made piece. Definitely belongs in this thread.

What's next, maybe a No 4 or 4 1/2? I can't imagine buying too many of these, at least not at retail LN prices. :rofl:

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
View attachment 192752

First hand plane acquired, adjustable mouth block plane. Goodness is this a well made piece. Definitely belongs in this thread.

What's next, maybe a No 4 or 4 1/2? I can't imagine buying too many of these, at least not at retail LN prices. :rofl:
which one is that? I have a similar one, but the blade goes right to the edge… which makes it quite versatile. Agreed that the quality is off the charts.

6E659943-D311-4C23-B8F3-ADD22C891EBE.jpeg
2C95B585-347E-475B-8C69-F36153C325EE.jpeg
2F9B8110-268C-4F5B-926B-41B71FE895B1.jpeg

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Going back to everyone's favorite topic...bearing pullers and presses.

I need to replace the bearings in the rear hub of my road bike, which are 6903. I was planning on ordering the 3/8" Wheels Manufacturing press and the appropriate drifts as well as their expanding collet style blind puller.

Any better options or recommendations? I've replaced suspension linkage bearings as well as press fit bottom brackets/headsets, but don't have anything for hubs.
If the seller accepts my offer it will be your fault, why'd you mention pullers?!
EDIT- Offer accepted, but I didn't realise GST was not included in the offer, oops, I am poor again.
Puller.jpg

Last edited:

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Learn me some inflators. Using the blow gun just jammed into the valve stem is getting kind of old for seating tires and my shrader filler sucks too. Is this the best one that does both valve stem types?

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
which one is that? I have a similar one, but the blade goes right to the edge… which makes it quite versatile. Agreed that the quality is off the charts.

View attachment 192779View attachment 192780View attachment 192778
I got this one: https://www.lie-nielsen.com/products/adjustable-mouth-block-planes-?path=core-tools&node=4086

Bought it for trimming dowels and finishing edges. I'm starting to redo our main staircase in red oak (custom milled some red oak thresholds too) and will be screwing and plugging the treads instead of nailing. Some combination of plane, chisel, and flush cut saw shall trim the remnants for a fine finish.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I'm a weirdo so I do one of the UK made inflators and adapt the Chuck off a floor pump.
1682082809034.png

I have no idea how as they move at brutal speeds but the gauges stay pretty accurate.
I don't trust cheap digital stuff(any really) , if you use you analog gauges enough you usually spot that they aren't behaving properly, and they don't run out of batteries.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
At least borrow @StiHacka's little oriental rug if you are going to put your fancy plane sole down.
I've already got one in transit in the colorways of my soon to be launched youtube maker channel. Follow along to see me spend 95% of the time talking about tools and 3% of the time actually using them.

In all seriousness, the blade is retracted in that photo. I know there's the whole, storing planes on their side or on their sole debate, but frankly, so long as the blade is retracted and sufficient precautions are taken for corrosion protection I don't think it really makes a difference.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I've already got one in transit in the colorways of my soon to be launched youtube maker channel. Follow along to see me spend 95% of the time talking about tools and 3% of the time actually using them.

In all seriousness, the blade is retracted in that photo. I know there's the whole, storing planes on their side or on their sole debate, but frankly, so long as the blade is retracted and sufficient precautions are taken for corrosion protection I don't think it really makes a difference.
True, but a tiny hipster rug would be cool, at least one of those self healing cutting mats.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I'm a weirdo so I do one of the UK made inflators and adapt the Chuck off a floor pump.
View attachment 192788
I have no idea how as they move at brutal speeds but the gauges stay pretty accurate.
I don't trust cheap digital stuff(any really) , if you use you analog gauges enough you usually spot that they aren't behaving properly, and they don't run out of batteries.
I have found most inflator gauges to be fairly inaccurate to my liking. I have several tire gauges from summit. I like the moroso ones. Gotta have high pressure for over 50-60 psi and low pressure for other stuff. Since gauges are more accurate in the middle. Despite having a big air compressor and a really nice 12volt, I use my lyzene floor pump for almost everything. With its high volume, accurate gauge, lightweight and me needing exercise it’s my go to even for car tires if I’m topping up.

to seat beads I always remove the valve core and use a rubber tipped blow gun. Sometimes a quick connect air chuck jammed on a schrader valve works. Some air chucks don’t work with the cores removed and just flow too little.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Anyone got decent suggestions for a western style dovetail saw? For some reason I see a bunch of saws in the $30-$40 range, then $175+, but little in the middle other than Veritas.

I'm tempted by a dozuki, both to use for dovetails and flush cutting, but I'm overall more comfortable with western style saws.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle

I'd go for a 62, it's the most universal plane for general woodworking, and the best value in LN's lineup. Also, last I checked, LN planes were going for more used on ebay than new MSRP, honestly has me tempted to off my entire collection, make a buck and buy back when the market cools off.