Quantcast

Tool Nerds, Questions and Tool Snobbery

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I accidentally bought a digital torque wrench that didn't work.
Ripped it apart, cleaned the zebra strips, flipped the screen 180 degrees and it works.
Pretty happy as the wrench retails for ~$1300 here.
IMG_20231205_180620.jpg

There has to be a stepper motor in there and a load cell, it clicks like a normal one and displays current and Max torque and lights up red if you exceed your present threshold.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Nice! I just received my Abbey order a few days ago. I can already say the 4-way is likely to be come my go-to for low-torque application (cockpit setup, mainly). I ultimately went with the fixed 3-4-5-T25, but I also seriously considered the one with replaceable bits.

They make great tools. I now have a few and they are all part of my favorite tools.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Nice! I just received my Abbey order a few days ago. I can already say the 4-way is likely to be come my go-to for low-torque application (cockpit setup, mainly). I ultimately went with the fixed 3-4-5-T25, but I also seriously considered the one with replaceable bits.

They make great tools. I now have a few and they are all part of my favorite tools.
The fixed tools on the 4 way is the way to go, it is so hard to remove the bits it defeats the purpose.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Oh and I stupidly ordered a three pack of Matsui squares, said Metric so I assumed that top and bottom markings were internal an external Metric but they appeared to be the wrong way, and the scales were different.
"What is the Kakume scale?
A Kakume scale is used to determine the size of square that can be cut from a round piece of material. For example, when the Kakume Scales indicates 30 as the diameter of a piece of circular material, then the largest possible square that may be cut from that circle is 30mm along one edge."

1703247435189.png

Why the shit would you want to make something square from something round?

Oh and I stupidly ordered a three pack of Matsui squares, said Metric so I assumed that top and bottom markings were internal an external Metric but they appeared to be the wrong way, and the scales were different.
"What is the Kakume scale?
A Kakume scale is used to determine the size of square that can be cut from a round piece of material. For example, when the Kakume Scales indicates 30 as the diameter of a piece of circular material, then the largest possible square that may be cut from that circle is 30mm along one edge."

View attachment 205402

Why the shit would you want to make something square from something round?
Socket driver...

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I am still shit at welding and have still been swearing at my Speedglas helmet, so it's no steak dinners for a little bit.
Ordered an Optrel Helix Quattro, I initially wanted something lighter as the one I have just turns on your head if you lean to the side, is super fatiguing to use laying down and welding, it still flashes me if the arc is obscured slightly and you have to chuck a rag over the back of it to stop reflections messing up your vision.
The Optrel sounds like it should help with every issue above except the weigh, but the headgear looks a bunch better.
1705579920273.png

And I ordered some Vegan friendly TIG welding gloves, coz dirty bearded hipster.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I am still shit at welding and have still been swearing at my Speedglas helmet, so it's no steak dinners for a little bit.
Ordered an Optrel Helix Quattro, I initially wanted something lighter as the one I have just turns on your head if you lean to the side, is super fatiguing to use laying down and welding, it still flashes me if the arc is obscured slightly and you have to chuck a rag over the back of it to stop reflections messing up your vision.
The Optrel sounds like it should help with every issue above except the weigh, but the headgear looks a bunch better.
View attachment 206503

And I ordered some Vegan friendly TIG welding gloves, coz dirty bearded hipster.
I have the same issues with mine.
Did you get the active air filter setup? Those look nice.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Absolutely no need for this but much want. I fantasize about getting called about a problem at work and solving it by beating the shit out of something with a giant $5,000 monkey wrench.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I have the same issues with mine.
Did you get the active air filter setup? Those look nice.
Nah, I just use my lungs to clean the air, I weld maybe once a week.
I hope it's a good helmet, I have read a few bad reviews about Optrel stuff but it seemed like the best overall for my "needs".

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Absolutely no need for this but much want. I fantasize about getting called about a problem at work and solving it by beating the shit out of something with a giant $5,000 monkey wrench.

Well, it won't start a fire at least.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

I need to know how many of those they sell per year. It's probably more than I'd think they would.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
As part of my journey into fine woodworking, I have acquired a backsaw. 12" Bad Axe hybrid dovetail/tenon saw. This thing cuts like a dream.

1000004815.jpg

#definitesnobbery

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I wonder how that handle is cut, they machine the handgrip part then the V part in the bottom is done by saw or multi axis CNC thingy?
If I tried to make that the thin bottom piece would shatter and fly across the back yard.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
How small some of the inside corner rads are I’d bet they’re water jetting it then either robot or hand sanding the rounding of it in.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I bought these a couple of years ago to use only as the good lord intended. But they ended up in the toolbag and have seen a good amount of abuse and only one has a slight twist on the head.

1708062897717.png

9/10, will bang Witte screwdrivers again.

I lied about Sidchrome ratchet spanners a few pages back, they aren't proving to be nearly as durable as my Stahlwille ones.
Stahlwilles are brutes, three years and none have ever skipped teeth.
After about five uses my Makita battery rather is dead again, pretty sad as that was a brand new replacement.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
TIL, or actually yesterday, that there's a spoke nipple size in between Park's SW-2 and SW-3 tools. (it's a 3.75 mm nipple size, a 2.5 if you will.)

so I ordered a cheapo 6-way spoke wrench from Amazon that has this one size that I need for one wheel on one bike.