Quantcast

Tool Nerds, Questions and Tool Snobbery

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Its a bit tougher as an ordinary consumer, without regular stops by the tool truck. Always buying at retail, cant take advantage of sales or promotions, and warranty is more of a hassle.

Their stuff is still top notch, but the value proposition at this is point is questionable given how good a lot of the foreign offerings are.
I have only ever had 1 SnapOn tool and it was a pair of lineman pliers. They were stupid expensive, but I have never found one as good since.

90% of my tools are Craftsman.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I have only ever had 1 SnapOn tool and it was a pair of lineman pliers. They were stupid expensive, but I have never found one as good since.

90% of my tools are Craftsman.
Lot of mine are Craftsman too. Bought the full socket set years back, along with some ratchets, hammers and wrenches, but rarely buy them any longer since they transitioned away from domestic production.

As a whole, there's a noticeable difference in Snap-On performance and fit/finish, but as with anything, there's a point of diminishing returns. I typically don't purchase anything at full retail as that's nutso, and prefer to grab it off of ebay and FB.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Thanks for the chart, and I forgot about Stahlwille. No huge bias against Taiwanese tools, as they've gotten loads better in recent years, but it always feels like I'm being taken when they cost damn near what US or tools from zee Germans will run you.
I believe Stahlwille from AmazonDE to is pretty affordable but in the US it is properly expensive.
For me they are the go to spanner brand, they are so damn light and you can really lean on them without damaging your hands as they are so well shaped, I have some Bahcos that are like using dull knives to undo bolts.
My sockets are mostly cheap Action 6point thin wall impact sockets and they are fantastic, not sure why so many sockets stay with 12pt as modern ratchets are pretty damn good, my 1/2" 90t one is rated to 1000Nm. If you are using a breaker bar 12pt is nice as you don't have to take the socket off and rotate it 90deg to get your half flat if you are stuck for room.

If I was in a workshop permanently I would buy some nice sockets with knurling on them but my site tool bag is well over 40Lb now so if it doesn't get used a lot it's not going in there.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
UGH. I hate hearing that, because I am a tool snob and always look at Snap-On first. Recently upgraded my ratchets from some Made is USA Craftsmans to Snap-On comfort grip, cause their ratchets are, IMO, worth it.

Just hurts dropping $300+ on multiple sets of wrenches for personal use. Guess I'll keep an eye on FB marketplace and ebay for good deals.
If it helps, 2 jobs ago we supplied our installers with Snsp-On kits, the ratcheting wrenches were complete garbage. Our driver was replacing 9/16” wrenches weekly, to the point that he gave us spares to hold us over when only exploded. Granted they were installing litterally thousands of 3/8” bolts so things were bound to wear out, but I loaned one of the guys my Gear Wrench 9/16 and it lasted a few months rather than a few weeks.

I don’t have reversible ratchets in my box, but have basically every other variety and really likeGear Wrench. Would probably buy their ratcheting wrenches as well if I were in the market today.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
20210201_160919_copy_477x1008.jpg

Places where spending extra for premium tools has a significant benefit, universal joints/sockets.

Snap-On on top, Craftsman (Made in USA, GK series) below. Torque transmission at ~90* for Snap-On vs only ~30* for Craftsman. Note, older Craftsman stuff was significantly better. I have universal socket sets from the G series, and they have probably ~80* of useful range of motion.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Um at that angle that snap isn't going to transmit any torque unless you use it like a breaker bar head.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Um at that angle that snap isn't going to transmit any torque unless you use it like a breaker bar head.
Sorry, the picture was intended to illustrate their range of motion.

I made the assumption that anyone who has used a universal joint would know its effectiveness decreases as you approach 90. The snap-on gives you a heck of a lot more usable range of motion compared to the craftsman. My bad, should have stated that more clearly.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Torque screwdriver shopping has started again and I think Kanon will get my money. They aren't bike tool cheap but they still look like good value to me, I can't justify twice the price for a Stahlwille but it does have a cover over the indicator which I do like.
The N50LTDK does 1-5Nm which fills the gap in my set.
1613385778492.png

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Torque screwdriver shopping has started again and I think Kanon will get my money. They aren't bike tool cheap but they still look like good value to me, I can't justify twice the price for a Stahlwille but it does have a cover over the indicator which I do like.
The N50LTDK does 1-5Nm which fills the gap in my set.
View attachment 156552
this looks like something we'd make as a surgical instrument.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
this looks like something we'd make as a surgical instrument.
Yeah they do look nice but looking at second hand ones the knurling doesn't stay purty for long, guess that would be a tall ask for ano to stay good on pointy bits.

Gunsmiths(I'm assuming not the Trump kind) seem to like them. Actually the trumpians probably throw guns out and buy new ones when they stop working.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
@toodles or any electrical Monkeys.

I am looking at buying an Oscilloscope and it will just be for pretty basic stuff, checking Crank and Cam angle sensors.
I think I will only need a two channel unit and even then I think I will be battling to use it but are there any nice to haves on a scope, anything you like or dislike about a certain unit.

I don't want a home gamer level one and am happy to buy used as I can't justify 4k(AU) for something I will almost never use. My old man has a ~30yo Philips/Fluke and aside from the battery and backlight still works perfectly, however I would like something a bit newer than his as it is pretty slow reacting and the screen is a bit shit.

Cheers.

I got one from Digilent that runs off a laptop. For occasional use, it's excellent, and price point's order $450 with some probes and whatnot

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I got one from Digilent that runs off a laptop. For occasional use, it's excellent, and price point's order $450 with some probes and whatnot

I did look at them, they look amazing for the cost and they are one of the few made in Taiwan. Actually, they look amazing if you aren't considering cost, look like a pretty versatile little unit.

I bought an Android tablet a few months ago and I never use it so I had been looking in to whether mine can run Windows or not.
Don't really want to have to buy another tablet just to use with/as a scope.

At this stage an older Metrix brand 2ch scope is looking like the winner but I know nothing about the brand.

Did some sewing yesterday-

Attachments

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia

That actually looks freaking awesome.

That actually looks freaking awesome.
I bought one in 2018 for a project I was working on and it worked fine.

I used oscilloscopes, mostly Tektronix, a lot when I was working as an electrical engineer. When Digital Equipment Corp. manufacturing in South Burlington, Vermont folded up in 1992, I almost wanted to take one with me. In hindsight, it would have been a bad idea. They were complex beasts, with lots of components like potentiometers that don't age worth a damn. Also, the number of times I would have used one would never have justified the storage space.

I can keep the Digilent and its accessories in a small plastic tray.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Yeah I don't have one at the moment for the same reason. There's an old Tektro in the workshop at my job but generally speaking most of the stuff I'm doing these days just needs a good multi so I can't justify the clutter or cost. A little unit like that Diligent would be sweet to keep for an emergency fix.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Sorry, the picture was intended to illustrate their range of motion.

I made the assumption that anyone who has used a universal joint would know its effectiveness decreases as you approach 90. The snap-on gives you a heck of a lot more usable range of motion compared to the craftsman. My bad, should have stated that more clearly.
They still flip and flop when you do tight angles, especially as they age.
I still have to get one of these, bit safer on the gun, we used to put a 3/4" wobble on a 12" extension and play duck and cover in the pit when the nut came off, the socket would release at a great rate, hahaha!

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
What is everyone using for screwdrivers? I picked up a Vessel JIS screwdriver and it's so much better than the other crappy ones that I've had for years that I'm considering just replacing the whole lot. Would definitely consider Vessel, but also Wera, PB Swiss, etc...too many options. Ball grip, ratcheting, etc. Use would be bike stuff, general household, auto. The usual.

What is everyone using for screwdrivers? I picked up a Vessel JIS screwdriver and it's so much better than the other crappy ones that I've had for years that I'm considering just replacing the whole lot. Would definitely consider Vessel, but also Wera, PB Swiss, etc...too many options. Ball grip, ratcheting, etc. Use would be bike stuff, general household, auto. The usual.
Snap-On and Craftsman

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I really like the Vessel ball grips

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Vessel, Wera, Wiha, are my go-to screwdrivers now, but Craftsman Professional used to be the shit! They were made by SK, or rather made by the same people who make SK but the Craftsman were always on clearance for $2-3/each. Sadly I'm an idiot and gave most of them away when I bought my Snap-On screwdrivers and I ended up absolutely despising the Snap-On crap. Still have the "stubbys" and they're the most used screwdriver in my box by far https://www.amazon.com/SK-Hand-Tool-86335-Screwdriver/dp/B007PBB9GQ/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=Sk+Screwdriver+Set&qid=1614011338&sr=8-8

Get yourself a Vessel Impacta too, total life saver for old stripped and painted over door hinge screws.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Get yourself a Vessel Impacta too, total life saver for old stripped and painted over door hinge screws.
Do these work like a conventional impact screwdriver? I have one of those that I've used a couple of times when restoring old tools. I couldn't make sense of the diagrams on amazon for the Vessel product. Seems intriguing though.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Got mostly Klein and Craftsman in the rotation at the moment, but I suppose if I were starting over I'd probably just grab some Wera or Wiha and call it a day. I don't actually find myself using manual screwdrivers a ton these days (and when I do, it's typically a Klein ratcheting), and would prioritize them accordingly.