Quantcast

Tool Nerds, Questions and Tool Snobbery

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
The Impact a drivers can be a bit more awkward to hit due to the length and they do not rotate as far as a conventional Impact driver but they do save weight if you only need impacts on PH2/3 screws.

For work I would now go to sunflag for everything but the impacts or possibly get the wood pulp Vessells.

EDIT- Have any of you guys used plastic O-ring picks?

toodles

Turbo Monkey
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
My insulated screwdrivers are a mix of Wiha, Wera and Knipex depending on the tool bag. My non-insulated are just insulated ones that got too worn/ratty to be trusted. I also have a Stanley set in the 2nd bottom drawer of the tool box that are "tang-thru" so you can give the tail a tap or knock if you've got to free up a seized screw somewhere.

EDIT- Have any of you guys used plastic O-ring picks?
Not plastic for the pick part. I've got a Stanley set of O-ring picks, plus a couple of teeny ones that dentists use for something that I got for doing tiny O-rings inside dampers. Though I'm embarrassed by how often I find my self still using one I made out of a sharpened and bent old spoke pushed and glued into a wooden handle

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
My insulated screwdrivers are a mix of Wiha, Wera and Knipex depending on the tool bag. My non-insulated are just insulated ones that got too worn/ratty to be trusted. I also have a Stanley set in the 2nd bottom drawer of the tool box that are "tang-thru" so you can give the tail a tap or knock if you've got to free up a seized screw somewhere.

Not plastic for the pick part. I've got a Stanley set of O-ring picks, plus a couple of teeny ones that dentists use for something that I got for doing tiny O-rings inside dampers. Though I'm embarrassed by how often I find my self still using one I made out of a sharpened and bent old spoke pushed and glued into a wooden handle
I got sent a catalogue from an Aussie toolmaker and they also sell Bojo composite tools, some are up to 50% glass filled and the prices are really reasonable-
1614063528385.png

1614063569317.png

Oh Toodles, these guys are not too far from me, they make some kits that are just so damn pretty and look properly functional.
1614064160599.png

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Ended up getting the Metrix Scopix II, a company had it listed for 2k on their website and $1500 on Ebay.
I asked if it had recording function and they said that was an optional extra, I replied saying I'd get a used Fluke and they replied with a $500 off offer then Ebay had an extra 3% offer.
For $1000AU I couldn't pass it up, how they ended up with a 13yo new scope I will never know, guess they were a similar price to a Fluke so any sensible person would buy that over French scope with a bunch of dogs on the packaging...........

Why does the dog have a Scope in its collar?
Scope (2).jpg

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Ended up getting the Metrix Scopix II, a company had it listed for 2k on their website and $1500 on Ebay.
I asked if it had recording function and they said that was an optional extra, I replied saying I'd get a used Fluke and they replied with a $500 off offer then Ebay had an extra 3% offer.
For $1000AU I couldn't pass it up, how they ended up with a 13yo new scope I will never know, guess they were a similar price to a Fluke so any sensible person would buy that over French scope with a bunch of dogs on the packaging...........

Why does the dog have a Scope in its collar?
View attachment 157020
So many dog questions.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I got one from Digilent that runs off a laptop. For occasional use, it's excellent, and price point's order $450 with some probes and whatnot

I have been considering getting a separate oscilloscope + signal generator, then I saw this. Almost hit the buy button on this with the BNC probe package, then I noticed the max input is only +/25 volts. Short term need is 350 volts and possibly 600 volts in the future. I know there are X10+ probes, are there fractional probes available? My feeble google search say no. I think a simple resistive voltage divider using high value resistors should allow me to measure high voltage with a low voltage board??

I don't really need the high resolution or frequency that dedicated scope/generator would give me, I do like the high functionality that the free software should provide such as Bode plots and sine sweeps.

I have been considering getting a separate oscilloscope + signal generator, then I saw this. Almost hit the buy button on this with the BNC probe package, then I noticed the max input is only +/25 volts. Short term need is 350 volts and possibly 600 volts in the future. I know there are X10+ probes, are there fractional probes available? My feeble google search say no. I think a simple resistive voltage divider using high value resistors should allow me to measure high voltage with a low voltage board??

I don't really need the high resolution or frequency that dedicated scope/generator would give me, I do like the high functionality that the free software should provide such as Bode plots and sine sweeps.
I would guess that a simple voltage divider would do it.