Quantcast

Tool Nerds, Questions and Tool Snobbery

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I did see that (or similar), and thought it was pretty cool. Not a huge fan of losing the liner at the bottom though, or having to cut/recut specific shapes depending on arrangement.

Box acquired, 95% of tools are here, so starting to figure out arrangement tonight. May or may not even go with dividers at all, ironically.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I did see that (or similar), and thought it was pretty cool. Not a huge fan of losing the liner at the bottom though, or having to cut/recut specific shapes depending on arrangement.

Box acquired, 95% of tools are here, so starting to figure out arrangement tonight. May or may not even go with dividers at all, ironically.
Yeah I am not huge on the foam either, I know it is a bit different but for auto work I like tool rolls and removable socket sets. I work with people that have fancy sets in foam and it's just a pain in the ass, bit less of an issue if you are just going from bench to bike though.
I really wanted one of these, they come in a set with a rollcab at a great price but the rollcab sucks, won't fit a welding helmet or a 3/4" torque wrench.
1615115191150.png

@toodles A while back I stupidly bought a Hioki 8807 thinking it was a 2Ch Scope but it is an older logic analyser and data logger, it does use BNC connectors but only has two contacts for each channel. It has a 1GB CF card on board so it will store forever and waveforms can be viewed on a PC. Gonna sell it off for a couple a hundred, not sure it would be of interest? It's too involved for me, I am a basic human at best.
1615115989473.png

This but 2Ch + logic- http://www.unitestinstruments.com.au/home/documents/Hioki 8807 4 Channel Recorder.PDF

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
@toodles A while back I stupidly bought a Hioki 8807 thinking it was a 2Ch Scope but it is an older logic analyser and data logger, it does use BNC connectors but only has two contacts for each channel. It has a 1GB CF card on board so it will store forever and waveforms can be viewed on a PC. Gonna sell it off for a couple a hundred, not sure it would be of interest? It's too involved for me, I am a basic human at best.
View attachment 157438

This but 2Ch + logic- http://www.unitestinstruments.com.au/home/documents/Hioki 8807 4 Channel Recorder.PDF
I don't really need one but lemme check with some of the other guys. @Udi was getting into it a bit too so he might even have a use.

vinny4130

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
albuquerque
Question for tool nerds: I need a Fox Bullet Tool to rebuild a 38 air spring, and they aren't available from what I have found right now. Does anybody have one and willing to take the critical dimensions? Have lathe, can make.
Did you end up with the dimensions you needed?

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
@HAB PM’d me with some details as well. It also sounds like that tool is somewhat optional, so I’ll give it a go sans tool first.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I ended up going full dentist and bought a Stahlwille 775/50N 1-5Nm torque driver, that will have me covered from 1 to 1000Nm all in Stahlwille wrenches.

Bought a NOS Helios 300mm caliper a while ago and it lives at home because I know if I leave it at work some numpty will see how quickly they can get the dial to spin then use the points as scribes then use it to lift a tire on to a machine.
I much prefer using the lower jaw for internal measurements over cross points, it has way better reach, doesn't scratch things but you have to remember to add 10mm to your measurement.
Finding ways to use it at home isn't all that easy.

Attachments

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Finally found who actually makes these things, seems to be a few companies rebranding them, mine is a T&E or Toledo.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Nah that sucks in comparison, I normally just use a second spanner but for the first time ever I bought some decent spanners and don't want to flake the chrome off in the open and ring ends.
We have some pipes that have been hammered flat but they slip around and don't fit in little engine bays very well.
My other spanners I whack with the 4Lb copper hammer, if it is really tight it gets a trolley jack under it or a long bit of pipe on it.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Nah that sucks in comparison, I normally just use a second spanner but for the first time ever I bought some decent spanners and don't want to flake the chrome off in the open and ring ends.
We have some pipes that have been hammered flat but they slip around and don't fit in little engine bays very well.
My other spanners I whack with the 4Lb copper hammer, if it is really tight it gets a trolley jack under it or a long bit of pipe on it.
Speaking of which, we need more slug wrench offerings. I love giving mine a good whack with with deadblow hammer instead of reefing on it by hand.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
so shifting gears a bit - looking for a bearing extractor. Wheels mfg has good looking ones for $25, any other brands i should be looking at?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I think any toolbox I've ever owned I found at a garage sale or on craigslist.
that said, I'm horribly unorganized compared to some of you idiots. I should correct that.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I ended up going full dentist and bought a Stahlwille 775/50N 1-5Nm torque driver, that will have me covered from 1 to 1000Nm all in Stahlwille wrenches.

Bought a NOS Helios 300mm caliper a while ago and it lives at home because I know if I leave it at work some numpty will see how quickly they can get the dial to spin then use the points as scribes then use it to lift a tire on to a machine.
I much prefer using the lower jaw for internal measurements over cross points, it has way better reach, doesn't scratch things but you have to remember to add 10mm to your measurement.
Finding ways to use it at home isn't all that easy.
Who was playing with the pressure washer?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
there's a bearing pressed in on both sides of the frame, and a spacer in between, not really conducive to using a socket
If the spacer has a hole or slot in it, you could just punch it out from the backside. Or use one of those expanding extractors, that's what you're thinking?

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
the spacer is a full sleeve. and yes, the expander extractor is what i'm looking at from wheels mnfg
They seem to be well rated. I used an Ebay version at one point and couldn't get the expander to "bite" sufficiently on the inner race to be punched out and had to resort to a conventional automotive style blind puller. These look a lot better made.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
They seem to be well rated. I used an Ebay version at one point and couldn't get the expander to "bite" sufficiently on the inner race to be punched out and had to resort to a conventional automotive style blind puller. These look a lot better made.
i have a wheels mnfg BB press, and that's well made, so i'd expect similar quality from their bearing press.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Who was playing with the pressure washer?
Haha, yeah it died on that day so the squiggles will stay, a valve decided it no longer wanted to close and parts are no longer available, it was a hand me down but it was really well made.
Has anyone got a decent pressure washer that isn't made in China or do I have to sell my soul to the Far East? Yeah call me racist, I work on Chinese shit all the at work and the last thing I want to do is work on it at home too.

Just found software for the scope I bought it is free and really useful as my meter doesn't have logging functionality pre-installed so I could do video capture on the laptop, you can control the scope remotely which is nice.
Scope pic (2).jpg

EDIT- I am a moron, did some late night ordering of cells thinking that the ones I ordered will just fit.
Soldered the cells together before testing fitment, yeah they don't fit, will order the correct 4/3A cells.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
This says made in Australia:

Assembled in Australia perhaps?
Yeah but they do make nice utilitarian pressure washers, possibly a mix of Chinese and Italian bits, our "Made In Aus" labeling isn't quite as clear cut as America's.
We had a big diesel Karcher hot pressure washer at one place I worked at and it was a pain in the ass, thing needed more servicing than a Ferrari and the smaller ones feel cheap and nasty.
The one I had was from Aussie Pumps but their current smallest one(Black Box) needs a horizontal trolley and that takes up too much room, guess I could ask if it can be mounted vertically.
1616152949936.png

Everything I can afford will probably be Chinese so I should just step outta my Ivory tower for a bit.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Does Australia have the equivalent of Harbour Freight or Princess Auto?

Do it the true North American™ way, buy super cheap at the fraction and simply toss it when is breaks and buy another for pennies*. :busted:

*disclaimer for the tree lovers, i don't actually condone or want people to do that.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
All pressure washers are a PITA to maintain.
Our current one at work was good until a former apprentice put diesel in it, head gasket seems to be leaking a bit now, hahaha!

Does Australia have the equivalent of Harbour Freight or Princess Auto?

Do it the true North American™ way, buy super cheap at the fraction and simply toss it when is breaks and buy another for pennies*. :busted:

*disclaimer for the tree lovers, i don't actually condone or want people to do that.
Yeah we have a big shithole called Bunnings that pretty much started the race to the bottom in Australia, luckily proper tool stores started opening up around the country and some sell some pretty decent gear.
I like to buy things that can be fixed and I'd much rather buy something good and used over some new plastic craptastic item. In saying that I would never buy a used pressure washer as loads of people will turn the motor on before the water or have a hose full of air so the pump is still running dry for a couple of seconds.

Last edited:
Our current one at work was good until a former apprentice put diesel in it, head gasket seems to be leaking a bit now, hahaha!
On mine, an ancient Craftsman, the various valvery in the pump is very fussy as to whether it wants to work on a given day. I really should have chucked the rig years ago. Maybe I'll drag it out when things get warmer, if it works OK, otherwise roadside it.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
On mine, an ancient Craftsman, the various valvery in the pump is very fussy as to whether it wants to work on a given day. I really should have chucked the rig years ago. Maybe I'll drag it out when things get warmer, if it works OK, otherwise roadside it.
I've found that cycling a little WD-40 through the pump intake after using does wonders for making them last.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
This says made in Australia:

Assembled in Australia perhaps?
May have found something, fair bit more than I wanted to spend but they make the pump heads in Germany, run ceramic coated stainless pistons and have a 10yr pump warranty for trade use.
It comes with a 15m braided steel hose, that would be a $150+ bit of hose here in Aus, the next model down is a third cheaper but it looks like a bigger step down than a third in usefulness and quality.
1616247773293.png

It is ugly in a way that only the Germans can do.
They even have spare parts available so people can fix them-

Last edited:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
IMG_20210317_174302722_resize_46.jpg
so shifting gears a bit - looking for a bearing extractor. Wheels mfg has good looking ones for $25, any other brands i should be looking at?
the spacer is a full sleeve. and yes, the expander extractor is what i'm looking at from wheels mnfg
These came the other day and I'm very much looking forward to using them. Might start replacing all my linkage bearings at reasonable intervals now