Quantcast

Tool Nerds, Questions and Tool Snobbery

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Just discovered that work has a Smithy mill/drill combo machine. Not super fancy, but it's something.

Now to figure out who I have to blow to get permission to use it. Got quite a few projects in the ole brain.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Just discovered that work has a Smithy mill/drill combo machine. Not super fancy, but it's something.

Now to figure out who I have to blow to get permission to use it. Got quite a few projects in the ole brain.
I...umm... I'm.....uhhh....in charge of that machine....in the...uhhhh...machine room.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

I...umm... I'm.....uhhh....in charge of that machine....in the...uhhhh...machine room.
You guys are in the wrong thread, the Toolbox you are looking for is the gay bar in nyc

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
2 tools that I think should exist but don't, and may try to make in the near future:

1) a nipple holder for inserting nipples through holes in the rim. I always just use another spoke, but something with a nice screwdriver style handle, about 1/8" of threads and a small shoulder to bottom the nipple against would be nice.

2) a lacing jig that holds hubs and rims concentric while lacing up that folds up nice and compact for storage. I've seen a few handmade versions out of 80/20 or similar, but they're are pretty bulky. Something that telescopes and folds up like a tripod would be nice.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
2 tools that I think should exist but don't, and may try to make in the near future:

1) a nipple holder for inserting nipples through holes in the rim. I always just use another spoke, but something with a nice screwdriver style handle, about 1/8" of threads and a small shoulder to bottom the nipple against would be nice.

2) a lacing jig that holds hubs and rims concentric while lacing up that folds up nice and compact for storage. I've seen a few handmade versions out of 80/20 or similar, but they're are pretty bulky. Something that telescopes and folds up like a tripod would be nice.

1. https://uniorusa.com/products/nipple-assembly-tool-17512t

2. Really? I've never had that problem but ok.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Update: HAG works flawlessly.
What's a HAG?

Tomorrow I am playing E brakes, my 15“ saw has no brake and it sucks, swear it takes a minute to stop.
Hopefully it is just worn brushes otherwise the internet suggests the switch may be faulty.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Ahhh, Mine is a Hanger Straightener Thingy.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Jesus, that is hideous!
I like things that look cheap but are expensive, can't afford this set though.
1617789395574.png

I've been using two of the newer Hazet ratchets for about a year and they have been good, the long handle one is awesome with 90t, our workshop breaker bars have so much slop that makes them unusable in tight locations.

Ko-Ken have released a lowish drag 72t 3/8" long handle ratchet so I'm gonna have to get one of them, a meter long Ko-Ken ratchet arrived in the mail yesterday.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I have the outer race of a bearing stuck in a Hope hub. There is hardly any of the race poking out from the shelf it sits on.

What should I use to get it out?

Angle grinder? Thoughts and prayers? Gorilla Tape?

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Not sure if I'm visualizing this correctly, but I've had pretty good luck removing stuck outer races using a blind bearing puller. It does tend to be a little bit fiddly in terms of having enough pressure applied so that the puller doesn't slip, but not so much pressure that it further binds the race in the housing.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I have the outer race of a bearing stuck in a Hope hub. There is hardly any of the race poking out from the shelf it sits on.

What should I use to get it out?

Angle grinder? Thoughts and prayers? Gorilla Tape?
Not sure if I'm visualizing this correctly, but I've had pretty good luck removing stuck outer races using a blind bearing puller. It does tend to be a little bit fiddly in terms of having enough pressure applied so that the puller doesn't slip, but not so much pressure that it further binds the race in the housing.
if its just the outer race am I correctly assuming that the bearing fell apart during removal?

i'd agree that the bearing puller would be the best option - assuming you have the appropriate sized one.

plan B would be to try and *CAREFULLY* make a small cut in the bearing race to free it. there may or may not be space for a dremel, so you might have to use a hacksaw blade.

you could also try heating the hub shell and cooling the bearing race?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
if its just the outer race am I correctly assuming that the bearing fell apart during removal?

i'd agree that the bearing puller would be the best option - assuming you have the appropriate sized one.

plan B would be to try and *CAREFULLY* make a small cut in the bearing race to free it. there may or may not be space for a dremel, so you might have to use a hacksaw blade.

Bearing race is hardened, hacksaw isn't going to get you very far.

We need an exploded cutaway drawing.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
well yes there is that, but i also assume there isn't sufficient clearance to (safely) use a dremel.

My rule of thumb is you can try to cut a softer piece of metal out from a harder one, but the other way around is a recipe for fucking shit up.

Hot/cold is probably the best way to go. If that didn't work I'd try to TIG weld a washer to the race and just punch it out, but not everyone has a TIG welder collecting dust in their basement.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

The bearing fell apart while I was riding the bike. It was an awful noise.

I have no bearing puller of that size, so will need to find a cheap one. Will also try heating up the hub shell.

If I can't find a puller, maybe I can find a socket that fits perfectly into the hub shell, to try to push it out from behind?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
My rule of thumb is you can try to cut a softer piece of metal out from a harder one, but the other way around is a recipe for fucking shit up.

you're not wrong. i said it was an option, not a good option.

Hot/cold is probably the best way to go. If that didn't work I'd try to TIG weld a washer to the race and just punch it out, but not everyone has a TIG welder collecting dust in their basement.
wheels mnfg sells individual bearing extractors, for $25, probably the best option assuming there is one that's the correct size, but they usually go by the ID of the inner bearing race. biggest ones they sell are 25mm and 30mm. smaller intervals are available under 25mm

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Unpopular opinion: any tools that come in a wooden box can go fuck themselves.

Metrology/inspection tools excluded
No that's a correct opinion, wooden boxes are dumb, fancy boxes in general are dumb. Give me the cheapest, least wasteful packaging that can adequately protect the tool during transit, don't charge me an extra $23 for a shitty wooden box that's headed straight for the trash-can anyway.

Now wooden crates, any tool that's large enough to come in a crate is bad ass and I want to feel like Indiana Jones when I open a $20k tool with a bigass pry-bar.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
you're not wrong. i said it was an option, not a good option.

wheels mnfg sells individual bearing extractors, for $25, probably the best option assuming there is one that's the correct size, but they usually go by the ID of the inner bearing race. biggest ones they sell are 25mm and 30mm. smaller intervals are available under 25mm

If there is an exposed lip for an extractor there is an exposed lip to tap it out. I've found a nice piece of white oak is hard enough to tap things out but soft enough not to damage anything and you can easily shape it to fit in tight spots.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
No that's a correct opinion, wooden boxes are dumb, fancy boxes in general are dumb. Give me the cheapest, least wasteful packaging that can adequately protect the tool during transit, don't charge me an extra $23 for a shitty wooden box that's headed straight for the trash-can anyway.
what about a case that stores a tool kit? i'm thinking something like the hadley tool kit.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
what about a case that stores a tool kit? i'm thinking something like the hadley tool kit.
I'm on the fence, I have quite a few kits in cases that stay in their cases when it makes sense, like my test leads, tap&dies, stuff like that, but probably an equal number of kits that used to have cases but now that case is in a landfill somewhere. Some manufacturers don't seem to understand that I may also own other tools and make the case comically large assuming I'd have a big empty drawer set aside just for that 1 tool. Or like the Hazet kit Hardtail posted they forget that there's a 175% chance you'll need to use tools from the kit with tools from other kits, so you either end up carrying like 5 cases of sockets and adapters, or forgoing the box altogether.

If I were cool enough to still have a Hadley rear hub, I'd probably make my own drawer insert like I have for most of my tools to keep them together but use as little space as possible. Alas, I am not cool, and own no Hadley hubs.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
The bearing fell apart while I was riding the bike. It was an awful noise.

I have no bearing puller of that size, so will need to find a cheap one. Will also try heating up the hub shell.

If I can't find a puller, maybe I can find a socket that fits perfectly into the hub shell, to try to push it out from behind?
Hit that from the back.

Using oak like Westy says, or brass, maybe delving if you've got some on hand. Spray with PB blaster, maybe a little hair dryer or heat gun, then get at it with little taps around the perimeter so it comes out evenly and doesn't distort the bearing seat.