Quantcast

Tool Nerds, Questions and Tool Snobbery

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I've derailed the custom toolbox thread a few times with random ramblings and questions so I figured I'd start a tool thread for mostly non bike related stuff.

I have been slowly piecing together my work tool bag and all I really need now is a decent pair of bent snipe nose pliers without the ergonomic lump at the top so they are easy to get in and out of the tool bag pockets. I have no real preference for brands but as a dirty bearded hipster I like tools made in the home country, price is not too much of an issue as long as they are decent, have no need for a cutter.
So far the Schmitz 8" pliers look to be the most suitable but I can't find them in Oz, Stubai look good too but again aren't available here and post outta Germany sucks at the moment.

1599477063219.png

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Used to have a nice little bent/curved nosed pliers.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Actually I do have one: Aluminum Shears. I can't count how many times these have been helpful for general stuff.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I found a pair of snap on bent nose pliers laying in the engine compartment of my truck. Truck had a wiring harness installed 2 years ago. The pliers were very dirty.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
...I really need now is a decent pair of bent snipe nose pliers without the ergonomic lump at the top so they are easy to get in and out of the tool bag pockets.
Looks like Knipex makes several, but yeah..Germany.

I will say my Knipex diagonal cutters are the toughest I've ever used by FAR. They make a slim pair that slide right into a tool bag pocket no prob.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I don't really find the above pair of side cutters good for much, we have some at work but they are only really good for pulling split pins out, too much of a bevel for easy stripping and not hard enough for lots of hardened wire so I have full flush(Engineer) for cable ties and PCB work, semi flush(CK) for stripping, piano wire cutters(Hit) and cable cutters(Ideal) in my bag.
I do have some Marvels like the ones above but they get used maybe once a week or if someone wants to borrow some snips. I have ordered a Wago wire stripper but it has been out of stock for two months, sold heaps supposedly.

I love these, I have to get to pretty tight places along chassis to chop cable tie tails and the angle on the head makes it so much easier.
1599650022782.png

Knipex are easy to get in Oz but I think they only do a 6" bent long nose plier, 7 or 8" would be ideal.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I don't really find the above pair of side cutters good for much, we have some at work but they are only really good for pulling split pins out, too much of a bevel for easy stripping and not hard enough for lots of hardened wire so I have full flush(Engineer) for cable ties and PCB work, semi flush(CK) for stripping, piano wire cutters(Hit) and cable cutters(Ideal) in my bag.
I do have some Marvels like the ones above but they get used maybe once a week or if someone wants to borrow some snips. I have ordered a Wago wire stripper but it has been out of stock for two months, sold heaps supposedly.

I love these, I have to get to pretty tight places along chassis to chop cable tie tails and the angle on the head makes it so much easier.
View attachment 149543

Knipex are easy to get in Oz but I think they only do a 6" bent long nose plier, 7 or 8" would be ideal.
Knipex 38 21 200. 8" long bent needle nose pliers.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
asinine comments aside, can we discuss bike specific tools here? i have some that are getting a little long in the tooth; they don't need replacing quite yet, but are to the point i want to start considering replacements. abbey? unior? i have plenty of park tools, and while they do their job without complaint (generally) i know there's definitely better options available.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
i have plenty of park tools, and while they do their job without complaint (generally) i know there's definitely better options available.
IME, it's not that simple. In some cases, they are as good or better than anything out there. In others, they are lacking. It comes down to the specific tool IME.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
IME, it's not that simple. In some cases, they are as good or better than anything out there. In others, they are lacking. It comes down to the specific tool IME.
this is true, especially in the case of tools for old standards or oddball stuff, like certain mavic spoke tools they are pretty much the only option.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I like a lot of Pedro's stuff. I like their T-handles better, cassette tool better. If you are going to get a chain tool, get Shimano's delux one.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Y-wrenches. Why?
Speed? My 3-way allen (4, 5 and 6mm) is probably one of my most used tools. Barring clearance issues, it's by far the quickest and easiest way to check torque on everything quickly. Y-shape enables decent amount of torque, too.

My 3-way torx on the other hand....useless.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Speed? My 3-way allen (4, 5 and 6mm) is probably one of my most used tools. Barring clearance issues, it's by far the quickest and easiest way to check torque on everything quickly. Y-shape enables decent amount of torque, too.

My 3-way torx on the other hand....useless.
Then it must just be my wrist. It's always felt like the most un-ergonomic tool ever to me. I won't touch mine for that reason. Plus, I've found that when you use tools, they wear out, so having 3 of them connected to one just exacerbates the issue.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Then it must just be my wrist. It's always felt like the most un-ergonomic tool ever to me. I won't touch mine for that reason. Plus, I've found that when you use tools, they wear out, so having 3 of them connected to one just exacerbates the issue.
Maybe cause I don't have girly hands it's never been an issue for me.:flirt::p;)

As far as wear, I find it worse/more annoying to have a 9-10 piece set of T- or L-allens and have the same 2-3 wear faster while the rest remain virtually untouched. Mostly a problem for bikes specifically as they are 4/5/6mm 95% of the time.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
i was looking at their stuff last night. i like how their cassette tool fits inside the chain whip.
I have it.

Really nice unit.

I want to order this.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Bikes are poorly built pieces of poop and working on them should be done in the fastest possible manner, undo shit with a Makita stick impact or bigger uggadugga and do it back up with one of these-
1600342983799.png

If you have the funds-
1600343168724.png

I'm an old cranky mechanic, I get no joy from playing bikes coz I get crap like this to reseal and Chinese gear to work on that is the same quality as most bikes, shifters, hammers and rattle guns is life, hahaha!
20200715_161819.jpg

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
If you're still smashing your cable ends with dikes or pliers, you're wrong and you're a bad person. Saw a bunch of lost cable ends on the trail yesterday, and it reminded me once again why I use these https://www.amazon.com/ABN-
Haha, never thought of using a Deutsch crimper for doing that, I bought the genuine one and man, when you get the Douche outta the box the stench that follows is quite bad, not cat spew screwdriver bad, but still not pleasant.

A bootlace crimper would probably be the best tool for the job, I use sidecutters because I am a butcher.