Quantcast

Tool Nerds, Questions and Tool Snobbery

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
@toodles You are an electrical person, what sort of multimeter do you use and will it beep if it registers a DC voltage?
My new one doesn't and it sucks!

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
@toodles You are an electrical person, what sort of multimeter do you use and will it beep if it registers a DC voltage?
My new one doesn't and it sucks!
I've got all Fluke gear now. The general use multi is a 117 which has auto-voltage (ac/dc) for unknown stuff.

For instrumentation stuff I've got a 179, 771 process 4-20mA clamp and a fucken awesome little Kyoritsu tong 2300R (tiny and does AC/DC tong testing).

Dunno about audible beep tho. What are you using?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I've got all Fluke gear now. The general use multi is a 117 which has auto-voltage (ac/dc) for unknown stuff.

For instrumentation stuff I've got a 179, 771 process 4-20mA clamp and a fucken awesome little Kyoritsu tong 2300R (tiny and does AC/DC tong testing).

Dunno about audible beep tho. What are you using?
Yeah my old man is a Fluke guy but I have a habit of leaving stuff on site and people know the big yellow is worth big money so a weird name that people don't know is mote likely to end up back in my hands, hahaha!

Multimeters are Hioki DT4252, and DT4281, the cheaper 4252 will beep when it registers a voltage but the 4281 won't, working in cramped engine bays trying to probe through silicone seals the audible beep is awesome as you often can't see the display, they also swapped the DC and AC selector locations on the two meters which is quite annoying.
Neither meter will do what some(all?) Flukes do and allow you to display both a max and min voltage recorded, and that is awesome for a quick battery test. My amp clamp will do it but I think it has to be doing current and voltage at the same time, does logging which is handy.
Screenshot_20201009-192753.png

Odd that you mention the Kyoritsu, I bought a 2010 yesterday, nobody else made anything that suit my wants as well, it is supposedly super accurate and goes to 20A, it looks like it's straight outta the 80's.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Yeah my old man is a Fluke guy but I have a habit of leaving stuff on site and people know the big yellow is worth big money so a weird name that people don't know is mote likely to end up back in my hands, hahaha!

Odd that you mention the Kyoritsu, I bought a 2010 yesterday, nobody else made anything that suit my wants as well, it is supposedly super accurate and goes to 20A, it looks like it's straight outta the 80's.
Its a bit of a wank at first but the Fluke 233 has a detachable screen which comes in real handy for placing in line of sight sometimes. One guy at the last job had one and we used the detachable screen way more than you'd think.

The Kyoritsu stuff is good quality - I'd run their gear no worries. I'm stoked on the mini tong, especially in cabinets that are a complete clusterfuck. The low key appearance makes it less likely to end up missing as well. The yellow Fluke cases actually come off to make them look boring and grey which is convenient if you're working around sticky fingered types. I've got a shitty old CABAC multi in the ute which i basically just keep to lend out if someone needs one (although it registers high frequency than my Flukes! - I needed 400Hz for an aircraft power supply recently and the Fluke topped out at 200Hz).

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
I like the fluke 27/FM so much I bought a second one to keep in the house and leave one the in garage. Its big, its heavy, but they're cheap as fuck, have all through hole components, thicker than standard 27 cases, and hardened against EMP attack.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Its a bit of a wank at first but the Fluke 233 has a detachable screen which comes in real handy for placing in line of sight sometimes. One guy at the last job had one and we used the detachable screen way more than you'd think.

The Kyoritsu stuff is good quality - I'd run their gear no worries. I'm stoked on the mini tong, especially in cabinets that are a complete clusterfuck. The low key appearance makes it less likely to end up missing as well. The yellow Fluke cases actually come off to make them look boring and grey which is convenient if you're working around sticky fingered types. I've got a shitty old CABAC multi in the ute which i basically just keep to lend out if someone needs one (although it registers high frequency than my Flukes! - I needed 400Hz for an aircraft power supply recently and the Fluke topped out at 200Hz).
I did see the remote screen, long leads and a magnetic strap are good enough for me.
I'm half tempted to get one of these and just taking the cheaper meter for the things the Maestro won't do.
The elec box is growing too quickly, hahaha!
1602405500980.png

Last edited:

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
For the tool super snobs.

That does look ideal for removing fork seals.

As a side tool snob question, what are people's favorites for grease and method of application? I'm still in the dark ages using a normal tube of Park PolyLube (no complaints) and then smearing on with my finger. Not sure if switching mostly to a grease gun or one of the "grease pot" type setups with a brush would be better.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
That does look ideal for removing fork seals.

As a side tool snob question, what are people's favorites for grease and method of application? I'm still in the dark ages using a normal tube of Park PolyLube (no complaints) and then smearing on with my finger. Not sure if switching mostly to a grease gun or one of the "grease pot" type setups with a brush would be better.
Just got this guy, and initial review is that its the bomb. No cartridge, just a reservoir you can stuff full of your favorite grease and neatly dispense. Same thing as the gun Park Tools offers, just not blue.

101.jpg

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Those grease guns are great. I recommend finding one with a longer tip. :brows:

I also use the grease pot/brush approach for certain applications, so the short answer for me is both.

As for the grease itself, I've been using Phil Wood waterproof grease for about a million years and see no reason to change, but the Park stuff seems fine too.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I think I've got about 5 different greases...
  • Park tube, used for pedal threads, seat posts etc
  • Slick honey, finger application for suspension
  • P600 red stuff, SRAM coil boxxer stuff
  • super lube tube with grease gun head, used for turner zerks
  • old manitou sticky stuff which turner used to recommend before super lube

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Those grease guns are great. I recommend finding one with a longer tip. :brows:

I also use the grease pot/brush approach for certain applications, so the short answer for me is both.

As for the grease itself, I've been using Phil Wood waterproof grease for about a million years and see no reason to change, but the Park stuff seems fine too.
I have Phil's grease, but I find it turns black and nasty sometimes.

I picked up some sort of farm equipment grease that is red and it has been awesome. Its super sticky and it doesn't wash away at all.

It just smells rank.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I just use Slickoleum for everything now because I know at some point I will drop the tub and end up with another Slicko blob on the concrete.

At least the new tub is better than the old margarine type container, still, I'd like a threaded lid.

The specs on Slickoleum are properly impressive too, I assumed it was all lizard industry BS but there is a proper test sheet avaliable for the stuff.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I just use Slickoleum for everything now because I know at some point I will drop the tub and end up with another Slicko blob on the concrete.

At least the new tub is better than the old margarine type container, still, I'd like a threaded lid.

The specs on Slickoleum are properly impressive too, I assumed it was all lizard industry BS but there is a proper test sheet avaliable for the stuff.
Used to use this for everything too, partially due to having that ridiculous margarine tub (and now the even bigger one), but I find it does wash away if you ride in really wet conditions.

But on the plus side, it stays pretty clean, compared to Phil's like I mentioned before (turning black).

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Next time I'm at work I will take a pic of my Knipex collection. I went a little overboard, haha. But they are amazing to use.
I have owned a cobra forever, didn't even look at kimpex stuff until the toolbox wars thing started, we will see how much I end up with.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Next time I'm at work I will take a pic of my Knipex collection. I went a little overboard, haha. But they are amazing to use.
I have just started on the Stahlwille collection, it is crippling me, but when you find a brand that makes stuff that just works you have to keep buying it.
Shiny chrome tools look pretty but cover them in brake fluid or ATF and they are as slippery as an eel. La la Laaa.

EDIT- I bought one of the Knipex plier wrench thingies coz of this thread but I can't work out what it is any good for, how is it any better than a wide jaw shifting spanner?
I'm gonna swap it out for a 12" Lobtex, same weight as the Knipex but with more leverage and grips three flats which might be handy on bigger nuts.
1603622538907.png

Last edited:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I have just started on the Stahlwille collection, it is crippling me, but when you find a brand that makes stuff that just works you have to keep buying it.
Shiny chrome tools look pretty but cover them in brake fluid or ATF and they are as slippery as an eel. La la Laaa.

EDIT- I bought one of the Knipex plier wrench thingies coz of this thread but I can't work out what it is any good for, how is it any better than a wide jaw shifting spanner?
I'm gonna swap it out for a 12" Lobtex, same weight as the Knipex but with more leverage and grips three flats which might be handy on bigger nuts.
View attachment 151364
Maybe I need to get a decent adjustable, cause every one I've used has just enough slop in them to a) never quite fit tightly on the nut and b) require readjusting frequently.

And yes, I do realize that adjustable wrenches are directional.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
You using my toolbox or something?
IMG-20201025-224822249.jpg

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Maybe I need to get a decent adjustable, cause every one I've used has just enough slop in them to a) never quite fit tightly on the nut and b) require readjusting frequently.

And yes, I do realize that adjustable wrenches are directional.
Ha, get a Nepros shifting spanner, it's the only one I have seen with a direction arrow.
1603700479045.png

For non dential people, Lobster have zero backlash adjustables but none of the super wide jaws have the feature.
1603700725294.png

1603700776405.png

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Ha, get a Nepros shifting spanner, it's the only one I have seen with a direction arrow.

For non dential people, Lobster have zero backlash adjustables but none of the super wide jaws have the feature.
View attachment 151390
View attachment 151391

Bought myself a Lobster a while back simply based on the name, intending to just leave it in the truck for emergency use, and actually, it's a really great wrench. Now my Bahco is in the truck, and the Lobster is my go-to when the Nipex won't do the trick.

Really all cheap adjustable wrenches should have those arrows, if you're buying the Nepros, you probably already know which was it's supposed to turn, but if you're buying a $5 adjustable at Home Despot, those may just save your fitting or knuckles. That Nepros is damn nice, don't need it, maybe buy it.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
What's funny is I'm pretty sure AVE proved that they're (at least cheap ones he was willing to blow up with a hi-torque) actually stronger used against the arrow engraved on that tool.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Anyone using one of the cordless inflators? The Milwaukee one looks nice but I'm primarily on the Makita battery platform. They have a new-ish one out but it doesn't have a few features that seem like they'd be nice to have. Mainly trying to avoid having to throw the bulky floor pump in the car every time I go for a ride.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Anyone using one of the cordless inflators? The Milwaukee one looks nice but I'm primarily on the Makita battery platform. They have a new-ish one out but it doesn't have a few features that seem like they'd be nice to have. Mainly trying to avoid having to throw the bulky floor pump in the car every time I go for a ride.
Screenshot_20201116-121920_Chrome.jpg

I've got the Dewalt inflator and cannot say enough good things about it. Runs off of 20V batteries, 12V, and 110V, unlike some of the other brands. Fast & accurate and does a decent job with both bike and car tires.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
Buying the Makita inflator next time I hit the Depot, so I'll report back. Have the Milwaukee M12 and Makita 18v platforms, but the 18v inflator seems like a better bet, if only because the batteries should last longer when doing truck tires.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Buying the Makita inflator next time I hit the Depot, so I'll report back. Have the Milwaukee M12 and Makita 18v platforms, but the 18v inflator seems like a better bet, if only because the batteries should last longer when doing truck tires.
This for the Tacoma?

Thus far I haven't found any battery powered options that are adequate airing up the 35s on my one ton. Granted those are big tires and asking them to achieve 60+ psi is a tall order.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Seems like the reviews for the Makita indicate that it takes a while to do a car tire and there's no trigger lock. I'd be using it 90% for bike tires but still seems like a feature that should have been included.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Seems like the reviews for the Makita indicate that it takes a while to do a car tire and there's no trigger lock. I'd be using it 90% for bike tires but still seems like a feature that should have been included.
Most definitely. I just turn the dial to my desired pressure, then hit the go button and it'll just auto cutoff when it hits the set psi.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
This for the Tacoma?

Thus far I haven't found any battery powered options that are adequate airing up the 35s on my one ton. Granted those are big tires and asking them to achieve 60+ psi is a tall order.
Yeah, I have a powertank, but looking for something less bulky to carry. The Taco is absolute garbage on a dirt road at anything over 30 PSI, so I want something that'll let me air back up the tires from 20ish to 36 and I'm throwing airbags on the back so those will need to get aired back up before reattaching the trailer. Home Depot has a pretty lax return policy, so I'll give it a try, and if it's a PITA return it and get another Viair.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Yeah, I have a powertank, but looking for something less bulky to carry. The Taco is absolute garbage on a dirt road at anything over 30 PSI, so I want something that'll let me air back up the tires from 20ish to 36 and I'm throwing airbags on the back so those will need to get aired back up before reattaching the trailer. Home Depot has a pretty lax return policy, so I'll give it a try, and if it's a PITA return it and get another Viair.
When I had my Tacoma, I mounted an ARB single with a Slee Offroad bracket under the hood. More spendy than a battery powered compressor, and pretty comparable to a Viair setup, but that thing was good to fill all 4 tires from 16 to 35 psi fairly quickly.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
You're gonna want a battery clamp style pump for filling tires that large. Of if you hate your ears, go paroose the junk yards for a 2000's audi and get the factory pump. It blows any other cig lighter pump out of the water but its hatefully loud.