Quantcast

Tool Nerds, Questions and Tool Snobbery

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
The Impact a drivers can be a bit more awkward to hit due to the length and they do not rotate as far as a conventional Impact driver but they do save weight if you only need impacts on PH2/3 screws.

For work I would now go to sunflag for everything but the impacts or possibly get the wood pulp Vessells.

EDIT- Have any of you guys used plastic O-ring picks?

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
My insulated screwdrivers are a mix of Wiha, Wera and Knipex depending on the tool bag. My non-insulated are just insulated ones that got too worn/ratty to be trusted. I also have a Stanley set in the 2nd bottom drawer of the tool box that are "tang-thru" so you can give the tail a tap or knock if you've got to free up a seized screw somewhere.

EDIT- Have any of you guys used plastic O-ring picks?
Not plastic for the pick part. I've got a Stanley set of O-ring picks, plus a couple of teeny ones that dentists use for something that I got for doing tiny O-rings inside dampers. Though I'm embarrassed by how often I find my self still using one I made out of a sharpened and bent old spoke pushed and glued into a wooden handle

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
My insulated screwdrivers are a mix of Wiha, Wera and Knipex depending on the tool bag. My non-insulated are just insulated ones that got too worn/ratty to be trusted. I also have a Stanley set in the 2nd bottom drawer of the tool box that are "tang-thru" so you can give the tail a tap or knock if you've got to free up a seized screw somewhere.

Not plastic for the pick part. I've got a Stanley set of O-ring picks, plus a couple of teeny ones that dentists use for something that I got for doing tiny O-rings inside dampers. Though I'm embarrassed by how often I find my self still using one I made out of a sharpened and bent old spoke pushed and glued into a wooden handle
I got sent a catalogue from an Aussie toolmaker and they also sell Bojo composite tools, some are up to 50% glass filled and the prices are really reasonable-
1614063528385.png

1614063569317.png

Oh Toodles, these guys are not too far from me, they make some kits that are just so damn pretty and look properly functional.
1614064160599.png

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Ended up getting the Metrix Scopix II, a company had it listed for 2k on their website and $1500 on Ebay.
I asked if it had recording function and they said that was an optional extra, I replied saying I'd get a used Fluke and they replied with a $500 off offer then Ebay had an extra 3% offer.
For $1000AU I couldn't pass it up, how they ended up with a 13yo new scope I will never know, guess they were a similar price to a Fluke so any sensible person would buy that over French scope with a bunch of dogs on the packaging...........

Why does the dog have a Scope in its collar?
Scope (2).jpg

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Ended up getting the Metrix Scopix II, a company had it listed for 2k on their website and $1500 on Ebay.
I asked if it had recording function and they said that was an optional extra, I replied saying I'd get a used Fluke and they replied with a $500 off offer then Ebay had an extra 3% offer.
For $1000AU I couldn't pass it up, how they ended up with a 13yo new scope I will never know, guess they were a similar price to a Fluke so any sensible person would buy that over French scope with a bunch of dogs on the packaging...........

Why does the dog have a Scope in its collar?
View attachment 157020
So many dog questions.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I got one from Digilent that runs off a laptop. For occasional use, it's excellent, and price point's order $450 with some probes and whatnot

I have been considering getting a separate oscilloscope + signal generator, then I saw this. Almost hit the buy button on this with the BNC probe package, then I noticed the max input is only +/25 volts. Short term need is 350 volts and possibly 600 volts in the future. I know there are X10+ probes, are there fractional probes available? My feeble google search say no. I think a simple resistive voltage divider using high value resistors should allow me to measure high voltage with a low voltage board??

I don't really need the high resolution or frequency that dedicated scope/generator would give me, I do like the high functionality that the free software should provide such as Bode plots and sine sweeps.

I have been considering getting a separate oscilloscope + signal generator, then I saw this. Almost hit the buy button on this with the BNC probe package, then I noticed the max input is only +/25 volts. Short term need is 350 volts and possibly 600 volts in the future. I know there are X10+ probes, are there fractional probes available? My feeble google search say no. I think a simple resistive voltage divider using high value resistors should allow me to measure high voltage with a low voltage board??

I don't really need the high resolution or frequency that dedicated scope/generator would give me, I do like the high functionality that the free software should provide such as Bode plots and sine sweeps.
I would guess that a simple voltage divider would do it.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Scope arrived yesterday and it is a bit French, the touch screen is as bad as one would expect from a 14yo device
The battery is dead and local replacements have cheap cells so I'll rebuild it with whatever Sanyo cells are called now.

Very happy it came with BNC adaptors as the Probix leads are a lot of money, and going off the standard one I got, pretty shit.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Scope arrived yesterday and it is a bit French, the touch screen is as bad as one would expect from a 14yo device
The battery is dead and local replacements have cheap cells so I'll rebuild it with whatever Sanyo cells are called now.

Very happy it came with BNC adaptors as the Probix leads are a lot of money, and going off the standard one I got, pretty shit.
What about the dogs?

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Question for tool nerds: I need a Fox Bullet Tool to rebuild a 38 air spring, and they aren't available from what I have found right now. Does anybody have one and willing to take the critical dimensions? Have lathe, can make.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Toolbox question.....any monkeys out there know of any places outside of where I've tried for top toolboxes with a large and/or varied selection of drawer configurations? I'm redoing my bike shop area, and part of that has been scrapping a lot of useless/obsolete small parts, and acquiring more tools. Of course now, as a result, my current toolbox isn't ideal for moar tools/less small parts. What I have now is 3 full width drawers, 3 1/3 width drawers, and a bottom tall drawer that is a big compartment for the back 1/2 of the depth, 5 insertable bins for the front 1/2 of the depth. It's pretty sweet and served me well, but no longer ideal, as most small parts are gone, and what's left is stored elsewhere.

I'd like to stick with the same dimensions (26/27" wide, 12" deep), but have a good mix of full width and partial width drawers, all full depth. Much more conducive to having all the tools laid out and accessible without having to pile on top of stuff, and seperate by function (small drawer for brake tools, small drawing for suspension tools, large drawer for presses/bearing tools, etc). I found this online, which would be perfect, but doesn't appear to be available anywhere. Doesn't seem too crazy, but I can't find anything similar most seem to have 3-4 full width drawers, 1 partial width. I'd love what's shown below, or i've seem some that are 2-3 full wdith drawers on bottom, 3 rows of 1/3 width drawers on the top sides, and 1 3-row deep drawer in the top middle (also shown below). That would be sweet too, but can't find any for sale.

In talking with @Adventurous , the suggestion of a machinists toolbox could be sweet, but they tend to have much shallower drawers, the felt lining isn't necessary, and most importantly tend to be way too expensive for what I need. Looking to spend $150-200, $250 tops if it's perfect.

I've tried:
Home Depot
Lowes
Harbor Freight
McMaster
Grainger
Amazon
eBay
Autozone
Summit Racing
FB marketplace and CL

What say you, tool wizards?

1614918838280.png

1614919226041.png

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
They’re labs. It should be obvious that labs have scopes
Ahhhh French pun, I missed that completely.
It did say that it was perfect for the lab or field work, somebody must have done the packaging order using Google Translate.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Do any of the machinist's boxes have
Toolbox question.....any monkeys out there know of any places outside of where I've tried for top toolboxes with a large and/or varied selection of drawer configurations? I'm redoing my bike shop area, and part of that has been scrapping a lot of useless/obsolete small parts, and acquiring more tools. Of course now, as a result, my current toolbox isn't ideal for moar tools/less small parts. What I have now is 3 full width drawers, 3 1/3 width drawers, and a bottom tall drawer that is a big compartment for the back 1/2 of the depth, 5 insertable bins for the front 1/2 of the depth. It's pretty sweet and served me well, but no longer ideal, as most small parts are gone, and what's left is stored elsewhere.

I'd like to stick with the same dimensions (26/27" wide, 12" deep), but have a good mix of full width and partial width drawers, all full depth. Much more conducive to having all the tools laid out and accessible without having to pile on top of stuff, and seperate by function (small drawer for brake tools, small drawing for suspension tools, large drawer for presses/bearing tools, etc). I found this online, which would be perfect, but doesn't appear to be available anywhere. Doesn't seem too crazy, but I can't find anything similar most seem to have 3-4 full width drawers, 1 partial width. I'd love what's shown below, or i've seem some that are 2-3 full wdith drawers on bottom, 3 rows of 1/3 width drawers on the top sides, and 1 3-row deep drawer in the top middle (also shown below). That would be sweet too, but can't find any for sale.

In talking with @Adventurous , the suggestion of a machinists toolbox could be sweet, but they tend to have much shallower drawers, the felt lining isn't necessary, and most importantly tend to be way too expensive for what I need. Looking to spend $150-200, $250 tops if it's perfect.

I've tried:
Home Depot
Lowes
Harbor Freight
McMaster
Grainger
Amazon
eBay
Autozone
Summit Racing
FB marketplace and CL

What say you, tool wizards?

View attachment 157357
View attachment 157358
With that budget I'd rather buy something used, is this sort of what you are after?
Waterloo.jpg

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Do any of the machinist's boxes have

With that budget I'd rather buy something used, is this sort of what you are after?View attachment 157360
He's after a top chest. Something to place on the bike workbench.

I'm still drawing a blank after searching more. Northern Tool and Acme Tool also have boxes, but nothing satisfying the criteria.

You could do 5 full width drawers + Kaizen foam to organize that would be pretty neatly organized.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
pricey, and only one multi drawer row

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
a little closer to what you're after, but again, pricey

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
He's after a top chest. Something to place on the bike workbench.

You could do 5 full width drawers + Kaizen foam to organize that would be pretty neatly organized.
What Tim said on bench top. Looking relatively cheap as this is inside the basement on a bench and will be lightly used compared to a fully loaded roll around.

Converting the full width drawers to divided is something I hadn't thought of but could easily come up with something slick. that might be a good option, and allows me to change it down the road if I wanted...

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Thanks Jon.... I did see that, but you're right with the price. I even came across a Westward one exactly like I'm looking for in cool blue color, but I think it was like $650.

I don't mind waiting it out and trying to stick below $200, but also the dividing drawers idea opens up options significantly.
Screenshot_20210305-082924.png

Last edited:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I thought for sure I would find every drawer configuration and color imaginable with cheap boxes on Amazon, but they all seem to be the same two or three styles.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
yea, given the budget you're looking at and the limited options for the config you're after just making dividers yourself would probably the better option. that's what i've done in my roller chests.

the one roller chest i "inherited" from work is hardcore heavy duty, design for an OR, and has built in configurable dividers which is super awesome, but the damn thing weights at least a hundred pounds.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I have a five-drawer middle chest I also inherited from work in the garage that I could potentially use, but it's 22" deep and currently filled to the brim with auto specific tools and parts. So I'd be in the same situation looking for a new box there anyway.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Is the chest you're talking about a Lista by any chance?

We have an absolutely insane amount of listic cabinets throughout the site, some of which are underutilized now that I think about it. Might have to go window shopping today...

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
If you really like the felted drawers Kennedys have, you can always DIY. It's not that difficult.

And Listas do have a bunch of nice cutouts for adding dividers. You know, if one happens to grow legs and walk away.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Is the chest you're talking about a Lista by any chance?

We have an absolutely insane amount of listic cabinets throughout the site, some of which are underutilized now that I think about it. Might have to go window shopping today...
no, i have a husky one, and the one i got from work was one of our internally manufactured products. i'll PM you a pic of that.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
For reference, this is the space in question. Like I said to Jon, I'd like to keep the 12" depth and go taller if needed to keep as much bench space open as I can.

right to the right of the box out of frame is HVAC duct, so sticking with the 26 or 27 in width is needed as well.

IMG_20210224_212534_702_resize_87.jpg

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I've already tapcon'ed'ed'ed more things to the walls in the basement/garage than I'd like to. Especially on this wall, which is underground up to about 7ft or so.

I've purposely tied everything to the bench itself, so when Laura kicks me out and I come live with your in-laws, i can bring it all with me.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I've already tapcon'ed'ed'ed more things to the walls in the basement/garage than I'd like to. Especially on this wall, which is underground up to about 7ft or so.

I've purposely tied everything to the bench itself, so when Laura kicks me out and I come live with your in-laws, i can bring it all with me.
Good point.

And now to set about torpedoing your relationship so my dreams will come true. The two horsemen shall ride again!

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Mmmmmk so I think I figgered out my plan. Going to pick up one of these because the price is right. Already have a kickass idea for tool-free, movable dividers I can make at work and get ano'd black.

1614964492577.png