Quantcast

Tool Nerds, Questions and Tool Snobbery

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Apprentice was battling with a sump plug so I told him to use the gun, then I heard "Whoa, whoa whoa, ohh, haa haa haa!" Then I got my gun back pretty shiny and a bit leaky. Might have to pull it apart as the oil will possibly dissolve whatever they use to pot set the leccy bits.

View attachment 163727

View attachment 163726

I guess I should have told him to crack it with the gun and not undo it with the gun,
Jesus, who TF puts in a drain plug so tight that you need an impact to get it out?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Apprentice was battling with a sump plug so I told him to use the gun, then I heard "Whoa, whoa whoa, ohh, haa haa haa!" Then I got my gun back pretty shiny and a bit leaky. Might have to pull it apart as the oil will possibly dissolve whatever they use to pot set the leccy bits.

View attachment 163727

View attachment 163726

I guess I should have told him to crack it with the gun and not undo it with the gun,
Does it run real smooth now? :D

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

View attachment 163727

View attachment 163726

Well lubricated now.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Probably another apprentice
I believe it was the same apprentice, he's pretty good with not over tightening things, the other apprentice could strip a sump plug and still have it seal okay. It's fine for him but shit for the next people that do a service, he was tightening hose clamps until they clicked for quite a while too :(

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I believe it was the same apprentice, he's pretty good with not over tightening things, the other apprentice could strip a sump plug and still have it seal okay. It's fine for him but shit for the next people that do a service, he was tightening hose clamps until they clicked for quite a while too :(

Torque clamps

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Finally found some short spanners for hyd stuff, I got them on clearance but I still feel ripped off.
Why do people make spanners with sharp edges?

P_20210821_111740.jpg

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
One less manufacturing step one less penny spent.
All my other metric spanners have concave profiles so they present more surface area at the loading points.
It is far nicer in use and it is and shouldn't really be dearer to make, a concave should be as easy to as a convex shouldn't it?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
There wasn't too much oil inside but the other apprentice manged to knock it about 7ft to bitumen last week, not sure if that's why the impact housing is cracked at the back but I'll see if I can get warranty on it.
It came apart really easily and the hammer mech works a bit different to what I was expecting, I assumed it was just some sort of sliding rampy thing but it is two balls on ramps to raise the anvil, never had a rattle gun apart before.

P_20210822_125834_1.jpg

P_20210822_132817.jpg

P_20210822_131016.jpg

I thought al the electrical bits would be hidden under conformal coating but everything is really easy to replace and there's stuff all electronics in it compared to some brushless tools.
Not all that sure how the trigger works, it has a small magnet in it and a legged spring which contacts stakes on the board, the rear ones would presumably be for full speed but I don't know why you'd have that with brushless as you can really bypass the electronics.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Are you talking about the area that grips the nut/bolt? If so it's a minefield of patents to sort out the shape.
No sorry, nice and wide on the edges to stop the carpal tunnel and I drop them a lot less than shiny convex chrome ones.
Spanner.jpg

My boss bought a meter from Wish, it works and he has the shits that it was missing one of the protective caps that normal people throw in the bin on the first use. Not him, the lead comes out, plug goes in, Wishmeter goes back in the bag then in the box after every use, it's torture. It'll be in the tub of non working Chinese made meters in no time, people should just buy Fluke and be done with it.
P_20210906_092433.jpg

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
You may say that's just a piece of 1.5" electrical conduit. I am here to tell you it's actually a highly valued crown race setter.

I edited my fingerprints cause I am paranoid

20210909_120049.jpg

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I hate with a passion using this tool.
I considered the more expensive wolftooth alignment tool, but it appears to be based on adapters, some of my axles are 197, not to mention what other fuckery the industry comes up with, so while it isn’t as advanced and a bit crappier to work with, it’s also simpler and should work with all bikes with no mods.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Not sure if anyone enjoys a bit of soldering but I got my old man a Pace ADS200 and it is freaking awesome. It's made in the USA and is built like good olden days American stuff, it heats up super quick, the temp drops back when you put the iron back in to the stand and you can hot swap tips.
I have a Hakko FX-889 it it is shit in comparison, but the display doesn't behave as if it's on crack like the Pace.

Not sure if anyone enjoys a bit of soldering but I got my old man a Pace ADS200 and it is freaking awesome. It's made in the USA and is built like good olden days American stuff, it heats up super quick, the temp drops back when you put the iron back in to the stand and you can hot swap tips.
I have a Hakko FX-889 it it is shit in comparison, but the display doesn't behave as if it's on crack like the Pace.
Interesting, all of my soldering equipment is ancient.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Interesting, all of my soldering equipment is ancient.
So was my dad's, he is a retired electrician and was using a crap station that was so old he couldn't get the correct tips for so they wobbled around in the barrel and conducted very little heat.
The Pace isn't all that cheap but it seems like good value when you unbox it, with 120W output you can run big tips so there's no need for a second station or Iron.
I bought my hakko because you can run two irons, if I had of know other stations let you hot swap tips I wouldn't have bought it.
I have another battery powered iron coming next week, I hate gas irons.
EDIT- This guy doesn't think much of it-
And I will say that one tip did die on the first use, there were some dodgy ones early on and dodgy stuff usually ends up in Australia as we are the A-Hole of the globe.

Last edited:

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
In my new job we are doing soldering work. My boss has been at for 50 years and has his whole system where he likes it. He has weller brand gear but he basically said yea I use it for 4 years and buy a new one.

The butane Weller soldering iron for field work is pretty cool too.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
So was my dad's, he is a retired electrician and was using a crap station that was so old he couldn't get the correct tips for so they wobbled around in the barrel and conducted very little heat.
The Pace isn't all that cheap but it seems like good value when you unbox it, with 120W output you can run big tips so there's no need for a second station or Iron.
I bought my hakko because you can run two irons, if I had of know other stations let you hot swap tips I wouldn't have bought it.
I have another battery powered iron coming next week, I hate gas irons.
EDIT- This guy doesn't think much of it-
And I will say that one tip did die on the first use, there were some dodgy ones early on and dodgy stuff usually ends up in Australia as we are the A-Hole of the globe.
I have the Milwaukee M12 soldering iron and love it. Great for smaller or field type jobs. It does chew through batteries pretty quickly, but as long you are using a 6.0ah battery it's acceptable.

Beats the hell out of my butane soldering iron that died after a year. Too bad too, cause it was handy with the heat shrink tip.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I have the Milwaukee M12 soldering iron and love it. Great for smaller or field type jobs. It does chew through batteries pretty quickly, but as long you are using a 6.0ah battery it's acceptable.

Beats the hell out of my butane soldering iron that died after a year. Too bad too, cause it was handy with the heat shrink tip.
Yeah I have one but it's just too underpowered for me, I have a battery one that just has a momentary on off button and no electronics. It is better than the Milwaukee but I am getting the four cell version, it can solder up to 6mm2 wire.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009

Yeahhh, new one finally arrived today and I'm fairly confident it would solder 8AWG with the largest tip.
P_20210922_183332.jpg

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Do any of you good people know of any companies that make decent die nuts, preferably in a set?
I can't find any sets other than really cheap Chinese sets.
Hex outer profile would be awesome but I haven't seen any HSS dies like that, only carbon ones.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Do any of you good people know of any companies that make decent die nuts, preferably in a set?
I can't find any sets other than really cheap Chinese sets.
Hex outer profile would be awesome but I haven't seen any HSS dies like that, only carbon ones.
Cheap die nut? That's the kind of thing that you don't want cheap IME.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I'm going to get some Ruko HSS button dies, they are supposedly made in Germany, have 5% Cobalt content and the price isn't crazy.