Quantcast

Tool Nerds, Questions and Tool Snobbery

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
fancy indeed. i'm still using a 15 year old blackburn pump that's slightly bent from rolling around the back of my truck going to DH races. and the pressure gauge is off by about 10 psi.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Whats a good pump these days? Have an old lezyne that is good, dial only goes up to 80, and its perfect for off road as a result. Wanted to grab another as a gift and they no longer sell it.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
For MTBs, I like the Blackburn Chamber HV floor pump.
I despise mine. It can't pass air without the presta valve core, and as such, it doesn't move enough air fast enough to seat a tubeless tire over a regular pump. I have a regular non-chamber HV bell pump I got at the supermarket for $18 and if I can't fill up a tire with that (no chamber), the Blackburn definitely won't, it doesn't move air fast enough.

Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I despise mine. It can't pass air without the presta valve core, and as such, it doesn't move enough air fast enough to seat a tubeless tire over a regular pump. I have a regular non-chamber HV bell pump I got at the supermarket for $18 and if I can't fill up a tire with that (no chamber), the Blackburn definitely won't, it doesn't move air fast enough.
The pump is called Chamber but it does not have one, I think you are talking about a different model. It moves a lot of air.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The pump is called Chamber but it does not have one, I think you are talking about a different model. It moves a lot of air.
Hmm, yeah this one has a second chamber thing. Just doesn’t work for crap.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
A dishing tool is one thing I've never needed in my almost 30 years of bike wrenching and wheel building (for myself).
That one looks nice though.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
A dishing tool is one thing I've never needed in my almost 30 years of bike wrenching and wheel building (for myself).
That one looks nice though.
All this time I’m beginning to wonder if there is any real point to dishing in a stand. It’s in your frame that really matters and they aren't 100% perfect, so might as well true to the frame?

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
So, are any of those mini torque wrenches that do a small range of presets worth a shit?
like the Park ATD 1.2?
looking for a travel unit that doesn’t suck…
Not sure how the mechanism works but most wrenches stay more accurate if they are backed off when not in use, the Park may be different though.
I like the look of these-
1635155898148.png

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
What is this “torque wrench” you speak of? Turn until you feel that 5Nm in your flesh! Done.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
What is this “torque wrench” you speak of? Turn until you feel that 5Nm in your flesh! Done.
Seriously though. I have them. I never use them. Hand feel has served me well for 30 years. Things that are so delicate that they need exactly 4.9Nm I just don't have on my bikes.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I am not having any luck with taps and dies, so many damn standards!
I bought a Koken tap holder set(which is gorgeous) but it seems the Japanese have different size square drives for taps than us Aussies, today 7 Ruko dies arrived and the 10mm has a larger OD than the 12mm, fuck! They do have a lead in on both sides which is nice but there is no adjuster screw to adjust for wear, that explains the cheap price.
I have some Hazet square drive button die holders coming and now I have no idea which dies will fit them as it seems even the Germans chop and change standards.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I am not having any luck with taps and dies, so many damn standards!
I bought a Koken tap holder set(which is gorgeous) but it seems the Japanese have different size square drives for taps than us Aussies, today 7 Ruko dies arrived and the 10mm has a larger OD than the 12mm, fuck! They do have a lead in on both sides which is nice but there is no adjuster screw to adjust for wear, that explains the cheap price.
I have some Hazet square drive button die holders coming and now I have no idea which dies will fit them as it seems even the Germans chop and change standards.
I got some real nice die holders recently but I’m having similar issues as you….My nicest ones don’t fit the dies I have, so I found a used thread cutting attachment for my small lathe. It’s rare and supposedly sketchy to use without a clutch/brake or variable speed motor. I‘ll have to be quick with the reverse lever and connect a VFD? I dunno, we’ll see.

This is an older version of the one I got but shows how it drives the cross slide.

225BF933-5E09-4EF6-A8BB-99E8A41AE787.jpeg

The green box and gears in this pic is the one I got.
77640643-667E-4072-8809-1074FFB65894.jpeg

Gears for different thread pitches. It does metric and imperial.
83693C8A-B5C8-41AE-AA11-D2C678937C4A.jpeg

All this time I’m beginning to wonder if there is any real point to dishing in a stand. It’s in your frame that really matters and they aren't 100% perfect, so might as well true to the frame?
I have one that I got when a bike shop, I worked in, closed down but don’t remember ever using it. I flip the wheel in the stand to check.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I have one that I got when a bike shop, I worked in, closed down but don’t remember ever using it. I flip the wheel in the stand to check.
That assumes though that the bikes are perfect and the issue I'm running into more and more is just that...they ain't. They aren't far off, but it seems to make a lot more sense to a true a wheel in a frame or adjust it to the frame after the stand at this point in my wheel endeavors.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
That assumes though that the bikes are perfect and the issue I'm running into more and more is just that...they ain't. They aren't far off, but it seems to make a lot more sense to a true a wheel in a frame or adjust it to the frame after the stand at this point in my wheel endeavors.
Even carbon frames? Molds take away a lot of the tolerance issues that we saw in alu frames. Oh yeah, I forgot many frames have alu rear ends. Yes, the rear end spacing tolerances are amusing. Nevermind…

Just get a wobbly carcasses Assegai and then yer fine.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
When I told my boss I wanted a 2000A amp clamp because we work on diesels he said we won't work on anything that draws that. This is a small 4cyl diesel, his readings were always varied because really cheap meters can have a pretty low sample rate, or he had the clamp on AC and assumed it was broken.
P_20211105_141854.jpg

Also you shouldn't run 100A through 10mm cross section cable with a shitty crimp at the end.
P_20211105_163413.jpg

I get to see some stupid shit, people smoking around big lead acid batteries as they charge, a charger sitting on bags of chlorine, so, so many shit crimps.
This is pretty handy for sizing cable, not sure if I have to legally do it to size as I only work on LV stuff as I'm too basic to be trusted with ouchie voltages.

Last edited:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
When I told my boss I wanted a 2000A amp clamp because we work on diesels he said we won't work on anything that draws that. This is a small 4cyl diesel, his readings were always varied because really cheap meters can have a pretty low sample rate, or he had the clamp on AC and assumed it was broken.View attachment 167037

Also you shouldn't run 100A through 10mm cross section cable with a shitty crimp at the end.
View attachment 167038

I get to see some stupid shit, people smoking around big lead acid batteries as they charge, a charger sitting on bags of chlorine, so, so many shit crimps.
This is pretty handy for sizing cable, not sure if I have to legally do it to size as I only work on LV stuff as I'm too basic to be trusted with ouchie voltages.
Should be no surprise that burned out. That lug/connector calls for a 1/0 gauge cable and they used an 8 awg instead.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Should be no surprise that burned out. That lug/connector calls for a 1/0 gauge cable and they used an 8 awg instead.
Yeah I'm not sure what happened, they bought the thing from auction and it came with a 100A charger, should have had a 60A tops. Not sure how the batteries will cope long term, probably not very well.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Some old Swiss and Japanese measuring instruments. I like the old stuff.

View attachment 167093
Don't need a cheap Etalon 531B? I tried to contact the seller but they said they couldn't work out how to do an international return then stopped replying, that was a year ago.

I want some of these calipers in 200mm but $626USD is too much-
1636197594218.png

Does anyone else know of any others with long crosspoints? The only others I could find were Helios which were also too dear, they don't have to be digital but can't be Chinese.

EDIT- Ended up buying a 200mm one of these, I thought the PITA name was funny and the flat head design will be pretty handy for me.
1636539393018.png

Boooo, caliper came today, Japanese price but made in China.

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Don't need a cheap Etalon 531B? I tried to contact the seller but they said they couldn't work out how to do an international return then stopped replying, that was a year ago.

I want some of these calipers in 200mm but $626USD is too much-
View attachment 167098
Does anyone else know of any others with long crosspoints? The only others I could find were Helios which were also too dear, they don't have to be digital but can't be Chinese.
I don’t but thanks anyways. There‘s so much of that stuff local to me due to the Swiss watchmaking industry. It’s a treasure trove of old machines and tools.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I have always been on the look out for a cool old Wilton bullet vise. Found this one in an old shed. It cleaned up well and is almost ready to get back into service. There's new jaws on the way, serrated steel ones.

113472.jpeg

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I have always been on the look out for a cool old Wilton bullet vise. Found this one in an old shed. It cleaned up well and is almost ready to get back into service. There's new jaws on the way, serrated steel ones.

View attachment 167386
Sweet find! I too have a thing for Wilton bullet vises. Always have my eyes open for an 8" jaw version, but those seem to go for $1K+, even used.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Sweet find! I too have a thing for Wilton bullet vises. Always have my eyes open for an 8" jaw version, but those seem to go for $1K+, even used.
Yeah that's out of range for me. I found this one but then spent $130 on new jaws and powdercoat. It's a C1 stamped 3-53 so that would put it at 1948. It had a good 1/4" coating of dust and grease all the way around. It's not pristine but is 100% functional.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Speaking of expensive vices, I want one of these so bad https://fireballtool.com/fireball-hardtail-bench-vise-deposit-for-pre-order/

I have absolutely no need for a vice that big, but I’m sure if I bought one I could find a way to justify it

All you need is a welder, waterjet, some plate steel and you can make your own!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
JM, if you true/dish to a frame you know is not aligned correctly, how is that any better than knowing that at least your wheel is properly dished? What points are you using for reference?

I'm old school but I use my dishing tool every time I build a wheel, and to check dish when periodically truing/re-tensioning (which admittedly, is not that often these days).

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle

All you need is a welder, waterjet, some plate steel and you can make your own!
I wish I still had access to a waterjet and tons of scrap armor plate. Didn’t abuse my access when I could, now I’m left with no mega-vice and having to hand cut things out is steel I had to pay for like a peasant.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
JM, if you true/dish to a frame you know is not aligned correctly, how is that any better than knowing that at least your wheel is properly dished? What points are you using for reference?

I'm old school but I use my dishing tool every time I build a wheel, and to check dish when periodically truing/re-tensioning (which admittedly, is not that often these days).
Well, bikes just aren't accurate down to the tenth of a mm in my experience and they do vary a few mm as far as dish, so by dishing to the frame, you at least have a better chance of the front wheel lined up with the rear wheel. It's not a huge difference...but it seems more accurate for real-world. When you are on the stand spending a few min to dish over 2mm...well, that becomes completely arbitrary IMO, perfect dish doesn't really exist on the frame, the frame is what it is.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
We used to be able to get nearly perfect alignment with rigid bikes using frame alignment and wheel dishing tools, but those days are long gone. Still, if your frame is out of alignment, now sure how dishing to the frame will result in the wheels being better aligned. I suppose you could check frame alignment and dish to correct it, but that creates questions of your reference points, how things change with suspension travel, etc. I dunno, guess I'd rather know that my wheels are properly dished and eliminate that as an issue, but old habits die hard.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Not sure if any of you good people mess with older engines but I spotted a timing light that seems sensible, it's a self powered(one wire) timing light that doubles as a torch. Since it's LED you can check scatter on the coil lead without wondering if the globe will blow.
I bought a supposedly decent one with advance and it is stupid, there is no zero degree detent so the slightest bump turns the dial, the thing is stupidly large and the pickup is metal and most of the things I work on have the alt output terminal right near No1 lead.
1637230326871.png

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Not sure if any of you good people mess with older engines but I spotted a timing light that seems sensible, it's a self powered(one wire) timing light that doubles as a torch. Since it's LED you can check scatter on the coil lead without wondering if the globe will blow.
I bought a supposedly decent one with advance and it is stupid, there is no zero degree detent so the slightest bump turns the dial, the thing is stupidly large and the pickup is metal and most of the things I work on have the alt output terminal right near No1 lead.
View attachment 167598
i would recommend you look at garage sales or eBay and find a older one. Or an estate sale store.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
i would recommend you look at garage sales or eBay and find a older one. Or an estate sale store.
Nah this one should be fine, all the usefully bright xenon ones seem to have all the adjusty stuff I don't want and the leads get all tangled up so I'd rather have just the pickup wire.
This is what I have currently(badge engineered Chinese thing) and used a 20+yo old one before that, they are both crap but in different ways.

1637372195010.png