Quantcast

Tool Nerds, Questions and Tool Snobbery

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Sorry if this has been hashed out - I'm looking for a nice set of allen wrenches for my shop. I am looking at the Park THH-1 setup. Is there something comparable/more better out there I can get my hands on?

Thanks!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Sorry if this has been hashed out - I'm looking for a nice set of allen wrenches for my shop. I am looking at the Park THH-1 setup. Is there something comparable/more better out there I can get my hands on?

Thanks!
I far preferred the Pero's TL stuff to Park when I worked in a shop.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Huh, "Strip Gripper", well there you go.
If my inhexes look like that I call them something else.

Has anybody use the grip paste stuff to remove a flogged out cap screw?
I need to try some.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019

Thanks!
Bohoundus and weara are my choice of the top of my head. But check the project farm Allen key test.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Thanks! The sliding T handle stuff looks nice. I'll check out these other brands
Powerbuilt makes a nice set if the twisty end thing on the Parks isn't a deal breaker https://www.amazon.com/Alltrade-941645-T-Handle-Wrench-Pieces/dp/B074PXK2BN?th=1 They also come in Torx.

Has anybody use the grip paste stuff to remove a flogged out cap screw?
I need to try some.
I've used lapping compound, seems to work fairly well if you're just barley camming out the driver. If something is stuck-stuck to the point that you're destroying the drive socket the paste won't make a difference

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland

Thanks!
I like the Silca t handles. Beta, PB Swiss and Hazet Allen wrenches are also favorites.

https://bikerumor.com/silca-spins-forged-sliding-t-handle-wrenches-tattico-mini-pump/

https://www.beta-tools.com/en/products/screwdrivers-male-end-wrenches-and-bits/t-handle-wrenches-with-male-ends/t-handle-wrenches-with-three-hexagon-male-ends.html

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I was hesitant to buy this set but I'm glad I got it, it looks the goods.
Wind the thread in to the sump plug hole, adjust the expander and start cutting a nicely aligned sealing face.
IMGP0970.jpg

IMGP0972.jpg

Some new sumps we get come with inserts welded at a bit of an angle so this will sort that and the replacement plugs in this kit have a slight taper so they work with worn threads, some are a two piece plug so you Loctite the outer in place and remove the centre to drain the oil.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Finally bit the bullet and pulled the pin and threw the grenade on buying a cordless impact wrench, ryobi 18V.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
How do you like that bit driver? I've needed one on a few occasions but still haven't pulled the trigger.
So far so good, haven't used it enough to form a solid opinion but Wera has always treated me well. My one gripe is the forward/reverse switch feels a touch flimsy. Have the Wiha one too and use the shit out of it, this one is a bit smaller and I like the little "wallet" thing for throwing in my tool-bag with just a couple bits I use all the time.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
one thing to be mindful when repurposing syringes is that the plunger piston/seal material may not be compatible with that you're using it with. i used suspension fluid in some vet syringes (back when i worked at the company that made them) and the suspension fluid caused the piston seal to swell and seize.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
one thing to be mindful when repurposing syringes is that the plunger piston/seal material may not be compatible with that you're using it with. i used suspension fluid in some vet syringes (back when i worked at the company that made them) and the suspension fluid caused the piston seal to swell and seize.
yes. i've had similar happen in the past. this is some sort of food grade silicone and seems to ba a standard-ish size, so easy enough to replace. IMHO, not as big a deal if you keep it cleaned out anyhow.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
That looks eerily similar to Sram's expensive bleed syringes. Which cost probably 1000x that. :rofl:
The Stans ones have the plunger fail after a while. I just buy 60ml ones from ebay and move the hose part across.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Tried the drug store?
I've used various ones from work over the years - whatever gets the job done.

The biggest difference between the (ahem) meat injector vs. SRAM's is the volume. But for just topping a setup up vs. a whole new install, that's fine for me.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Just jagged these for $115AUD delivered-
1667991434549.png

They are whatever Greenfield turned in to.
Got these too from the same seller-
1667991633164.png

Can never have too many taps, the 1/4" BSP was the one I wanted and I only have a crappy Chinese chrome one in that size.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Ordered a set of these, hadn't seen any 15deg double box ratchets before.
1668597209394.png

Clear windows in tool rolls are shit as they crack and shiny convex spanners are annoying to use in the real world but the offset is good, the lever is good, I don't have enough room in my spanner drawer for a combo set and I quite Like SP stuff, it lasts well.