Quantcast

Tool Nerds, Questions and Tool Snobbery

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
What would be the best "thread-appropriate" bearing extraction tool?

I already have the Wheels MFG bearing press, which is a joy to work with. I use it to take bearings off as well, but it implies using a socket larger than the bearing and it doesn't always work perfectly when there isn't a nice flat surface around the bearing. I am also missing some sockets compatible with the bearing press for some smaller size bearings.

The natural option I consider is Wheels Manufacturing:
I am sure it works fine and I am a big fan of the brand, but you need a punch to hit on it in order to get the bearing out. Is this an issue compared to similar bearing extractors meant to be used with a sliding hammer?

Another option would be buying an Abbey Tool suspension top-cap sockets kit.
More expensive than buying individual sockets from the hardware store and still an imperfect solution for pulling out bearings having a non-flat surface around them...but it would still be an improvement.

Another option is a cheapo chinese sliding hammer + extractors from Amazon, but I am afraid it will be garbage.

The other option is the Park Tool SHX-1, but I can't justify that price to simply do more cleanly something I can already do with some creativity.

Any recommendations? Thanks!

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The natural option I consider is Wheels Manufacturing:
https://wheelsmfg.com/presses-tools/bearing-extractors/sealed-bearing-extractor-set-bike-bearings.html I am sure it works fine and I am a big fan of the brand, but you need a punch to hit on it in order to get the bearing out. Is this an issue compared to similar bearing extractors meant to be use with a sliding hammer?
i don't have the set, but i have at least 4 or 5 of these extractors from Wheels. I generally use an old allen wrench that fits the allen head of the bolt and tap it out. never been an issue.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Another option would be buying an Abbey Tool suspension top-cap sockets kit.
More expensive than buying individual sockets from the hardware store and still an imperfect solution for pulling out bearings having a non-flat surface around them...but it would still be an improvement.
i'm not sure how using chamferless sockets would get bearings out.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
i'm not sure how using chamferless sockets would get bearings out.
You can use the bearing press with a drift smaller than the bearing to push the bearing out and a socket larger than the bearing OD on the other side to "collect" it.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
given what chamferless sockets cost i wouldn't want to risk messing one up in that manner.
True. The idea was more to have them for their intended purpose as well...but I reckon it's probably not the best way to go and buying dedicated extractors is a better plan.

meant to add that I do like them, and continue to acquire more as needs arise.
Great thanks! I believe the Wheels MFG extractors are probably the best option for me.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Great thanks! I believe the Wheels MFG extractors are probably the best option for me.
just took a look at mine out of curiosity. only have 3 after all. one thing that would be nice is if they were stamped/makred what size they are. it's easy enough to figure out and isn't a deal breaker for me. but given how good their bearing presses are (i have 2 of them) it would be a nice touch and really make them top notch.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
just took a look at mine out of curiosity. only have 3 after all. one thing that would be nice is if they were stamped/makred what size they are. it's easy enough to figure out and isn't a deal breaker for me. but given how good their bearing presses are (i have 2 of them) it would be a nice touch and really make them top notch.
Same here. I have their large bearing press kit (Press-1), headset press and BB drifts. Nice stuff!

Pressing bearings is probably the most satisfying maintenance work you can do on a bike...and it's even better with nice tools. :)

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
True. The idea was more to have them for their intended purpose as well...but I reckon it's probably not the best way to go and buying dedicated extractors is a better plan.

These guys have a good assortment of Wheels stuff on their site. Free shipping too :)

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
My little amp clamp came today, it's a piece of shit, can't remember the last time I got something that wasn't decent from Taiwan. The leads fit in to the clamp but won't fit in to a multimeter, plus two ends are wonky anyway so I wouldn't use them as they side load the jack.
IMGP1743.jpgIMGP1742.jpg
Got it from an Aussie retailer, they said they give me a credit on the meter but they don't have anything else I want so I ordered the meter I should have bought in the first place from Amazon Japan. I hate Amazon but i wasn't paying 160USD for postage.

Milleratio

Chimp
Oct 24, 2021
I bought some UK made bearing tools (bearing protools) and US handmade snobbish and a piece of art bearing packer. Will change couple of linkage bearings on my Summum.

Summum is easy as it's only 10x3802 bearings, but the Trek Rail is full of different models with couple of special "bicycle" bearings (with no added value) from Enduro Bearings. I think it's just lazy engineering and 100% rubbish.

491622A7-3328-447E-9FB5-FB548D1AECAA.jpeg

5458323E-11FB-4C42-80C1-B1591BBA9403.jpeg

Last edited:

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I just got hold of a Wera pistol-style torque wrench. So cool for stem and control type bolts.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
The other option is the Park Tool SHX-1, but I can't justify that price to simply do more cleanly something I can already do with some creativity.

Any recommendations? Thanks!
Not sure if the input is too late, but I have the SHX-1 and it was great for pulling blind-set bearings from my Capra frame.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Not sure if the input is too late, but I have the SHX-1 and it was great for pulling blind-set bearings from my Capra frame.
Thanks! Yes, I am sure the SHX-1 kit is amazing, but I couldn't quite justify the cost.

I purchased a Wheels Manufacturing kit yesterday, which I am sure will work quite well too.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
My new high precision Bondhus allen keys don't like to fit into the vast majority of my hex heads.

I wonder if the color coating needs to wear in or something...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
My new high precision Bondhus allen keys don't like to fit into the vast majority of my hex heads.

I wonder if the color coating needs to wear in or something...
Have you tried hammer?

Milleratio

Chimp
Oct 24, 2021
The bearing packer seems to work. It pushes the old(here it’s new from factory) grease and then the new starts to come between the seals. The bearings are 3802 2RS and tool works without removing the seals.

1301B526-EAC0-4CA6-929C-BC16902BED70.jpeg
5983C997-7214-4816-A2CE-8F58C960C3D4.jpeg

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Not trying to be a wise ass, but.....is there a reason to not just replace the bearings?
Some people think the grease in new bearings is sub-par so they put their chosen slippery stuff in there.

Would be cool to see how long they do last if they are serviced compared to a stock bearing.

Milleratio

Chimp
Oct 24, 2021
This is kinda test for next season. If the linkage bearings are full grease the water shouldn’t get so easily inside them. I wouldn’t do it for wheel bearing.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009

pretty sure that's it.
That looks pretty cool, you can crack screws with it because the torque wrench function only work in the clockwise direction.
3-6Nm is a very narrow range, I guess if you work on bikes a lot you'd have a couple to make work quicker anyway.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Some people think the grease in new bearings is sub-par so they put their chosen slippery stuff in there.

Would be cool to see how long they do last if they are serviced compared to a stock bearing.
it’s worth it on full rotating bearings getting loaded heavy. Like it’s standard practice on Miata front wheel bearings to clean them fully and regrease them with amsoil dominator, because at high load the stock grease gets too hot and running and the bearings die.

you have to fully remove all the original grease or know exactly what grease is already in there because mixing greases can cause them to split and they’re worthless if they split.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
That looks pretty cool, you can crack screws with it because the torque wrench function only work in the clockwise direction.
3-6Nm is a very narrow range, I guess if you work on bikes a lot you'd have a couple to make work quicker anyway.
Yeah it fell into my lap, but made sense to have for clamping carbon bars and steerers and stuff.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
95% of the time I need to use a torque wrench on bikes I need the 3-6NM range. If accurate at both ends of the range, probably a much better investment than a cheap 2-8NM alternative.