Quantcast

Tool Nerds, Questions and Tool Snobbery

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Not sure this fits much under snobbery, but definitely fits under nerdy.

While re-organizing my garage/main tool box, I wanted to move most of my frequently used tools to the wall to free up space. Not happy with the off-the-shelf options for wall mount or pegboard options, I decided to make my own.

Custom, laser cut holders to be hung on steel pegboard. Yes, I measured each tool individually for proper sizing and how they would sit in them.
IMG_20230126_144410204.jpg

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

While re-organizing my garage/main tool box, I wanted to move most of my frequently used tools to the wall to free up space. Not happy with the off-the-shelf options for wall mount or pegboard options, I decided to make my own.

Custom, laser cut holders to be hung on steel pegboard. Yes, I measured each tool individually for proper sizing and how they would sit in them.View attachment 188353
Let's see it finished!

Not going to crack?

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Let's see it finished!

Not going to crack?
Plan is to get it all installed tonight.

Original plan was to make them out of Delrin cut on our new water jet for durability. Said waterjet isn't up and running yet and I didn't have the material on hand anyway, so the 3/8" acrylic and laser cutter meant I could have it today at least for a test fit. If they hold up as is, great. If not I can always remake with the original intent.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

Custom, laser cut holders to be hung on steel pegboard. Yes, I measured each tool individually for proper sizing and how they would sit in them.View attachment 188353
Someone's bored at work. :D NTTAWWT

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I always figured with a fastener that size, the torque would be such that the box end would be 6-point to reduce the potential for damage. Then again, I see plenty of slug wrenches and big sockets in 12-point, so perhaps that concern is overblown.
The last time I had to use a spanner about this size it was to tension a chain, it wouldn't have been possible with a single hex.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Idea: A+, Execution: B-/C+

Few things need to be opened up a bit to either sit right or just plain fit, which I'll attribute to my being too optimistic on the laser cutter tolerances. Few things more crowded than I would have liked but still workable. Looks like I might have to add another pegboard panel to get the height needed for adequate clearance, which I was hoping to avoid but suspected might happen.

IMG_20230126_201045260_HDR_resize_51.jpg
IMG_20230126_201334674_HDR_resize_96.jpg

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
As a funny side note, while I was on the Bridgeport drilling the holes for the pegboard hooks, a group of site management, facilities and EHS folks came through our machine shop going over audit findings. I was trying to think of what I could say I was working on had they asked the whole time they were in there. I couldn't come up with anything, which is good because they never asked.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
That looks awesome!

Are the spanners at the top ratcheting ring spanners? If so I don't know if you would want to magnetize them, guess it would only be an issue if you have them around heaps of grinding dust.
My current ones aren't serviceable so they have to get a dunk in ATF every now and again.

What's the grey charger looking thing?

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
So after a little bit of using the world's manliest tool, the Dremel, everything fits pretty nicely and won't need to get an additional panel after all. Everything comes in and out, though I wished I had the foresight to angle some of the tools (adjustables, channel locks, etc) for better clearance between each other, or slightly staggered some stuff (precision pliers).

Plus there's always rev 2.0 if needed. Pretty happy with the result and even more happy all the stuff is out of the toolbox, as it was painfully overcrowded.
IMG_20230126_213422319_resize_65.jpg

Last edited:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
That looks awesome!

Are the spanners at the top ratcheting ring spanners? If so I don't know if you would want to magnetize them, guess it would only be an issue if you have them around heaps of grinding dust.
My current ones aren't serviceable so they have to get a dunk in ATF every now and again.

What's the grey charger looking thing?
They are gear wrenches, the magnetizing is something I wouldn't have thought of. This is my home set and doesn't see anything severe as far as grinding/dust so I'm not too concerned. Interesting point though.

The grey thing is a small trickle charger I use for my mower battery, as needed.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Nabbed an Imperial 3/4" set for $120 Aussie dollars, ratchet sucks compared to the Koken one I lost, but it works.
IMG_20230127_201106.jpg

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
As a funny side note, while I was on the Bridgeport drilling the holes for the pegboard hooks, a group of site management, facilities and EHS folks came through our machine shop going over audit findings. I was trying to think of what I could say I was working on had they asked the whole time they were in there. I couldn't come up with anything, which is good because they never asked.
Working on improving the Set in Order part of your 5S system, for your pen, pencil and ruler storage on your desk.

Should they come around when you do v1.34. :D

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
There are 32" Festool and 39" Makita rails, but they aren't much cheaper (or at all cheaper) than the 55" Makita rail. Definitely agree that the 55" rail is a pain when working on smaller stuff. Guess you could cut it to something like 24"/31" or maybe 18"/27" and then have a couple of options. I've considered doing the same.
Ended up grabbing the 39" Makita rail today. Fondled the HK55 for a bit, but just couldn't justify spending that much for a mostly redundant tool.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Time for me to buy some replacements. Kicking the can long enough. Ace Hardware Gift card expired. But they let me use it anyways. Replaced the missing 19mm socket and they gave me a 3/8 to 1/2 adapter to replace the one I lost. Craftsmen stuff works for me.

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
I uploaded it to thingiverse.com and printables. Would print for others too.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
What are you doing to your Avy cart? Shims I hope?
Yeah. Moar compression less rebound. It felt pretty good out of the box but this is on a dumb hardtail so I am trying to get it to ride higher in the travel. Thinking I will reduce the float in the midvalve.