Quantcast

Tool Nerds, Questions and Tool Snobbery

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
If you have a spare axle you can just make one, just get a nut the right size and make a bracket with your fabrication method of choice.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Craftsmen Bench Grinder shit the bed. 30 years old. I'll probably hold onto it for another 10 years in a closet somewhere.
Is Sears still open? My buddy found a rotten craftsman wrench when he was excavating a foundation. He took it into Sears and they gave him a fresh one no questions asked.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
What’s wrong? There isn’t much to those grinders. You can replace the power switch, replace the bearings, or have it rewound for less then what the harbor freight grinder cost and you’ll end up with a better grinder.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
What’s wrong? There isn’t much to those grinders. You can replace the power switch, replace the bearings, or have it rewound for less then what the harbor freight grinder cost and you’ll end up with a better grinder.
When I turn the on switch it just hums loudly instead of grinding. it owes me nothing. Ace hardware will give me credit on the Ryobi 6" I can pick t up tomorrow. $98.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Can you flick the wheel from the side and make it run?
May have a dud starter cap, if it has one.

Cheapie today, little baby bit holders for doing distributor caps.
PXL_20230302_080751064~2.jpg

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Damn sales got me again, 2 min noodles for the rest of the week.
1677919093517.png

A Milwaukee will be better but I hate the torque setting buttons on the Milwaukees, dial on the back is heaps quicker to adjust and has a larger range of settings.
Milwaukee is also better for doing left hand threaded stuff, Ze Germans deny the existence of LH threads as the torque adjustment only works for the clockwise direction.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
I keep thinking about one of them but the grease gun keeps my forearms and hands in shape for bike riding.....and other things.
I have been swearing at my new McNaught gun for quite a while, new one is poop compared to the old one.
During spring planting I have 100 zerks that are daily’s. And quite a few are in different to reach spots. Should be a time saver.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
During spring planting I have 100 zerks that are daily’s. And quite a few are in different to reach spots. Should be a time saver.
Yeah I thought about your farming stuff, that would be pretty shit to do at the end of a day.

Doubt I'd do 100 on my busiest service day.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Cheap Crow's foot set that really annoyingly stops at 26mm, an individual 27mm will no doubt cost half what the set cost.
1679054920600.png

I was going to buy a decent set but the one I wanted got discontinued.
Edit, got these from 27-36mm, should be pretty handy.
IMG_20230319_174141.jpg

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
My new work light turned up today, gotta read the instructions, can't turn it on.
PXL_20230320_060937976.jpg

EDIT- They got the sockets right, mid depth Kokens. Koken Zeals are one of the few sockets I can get off the Snap-On battery ratchet in smaller sizes coz of the ribbed for my pleasure shape. Mid length will be handy because of the shit design of the Snap-On ratchet.
IMGK3199.jpg

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Poor again, work has an assortment of okay and munted Knipex circlip pliers and that means I can't buy Knipex, so I got eight sizes of CK brand external pliers.
1679473005407.png

I'll get a a different brand/color for the internal ones so future apprentices or dumb humans don't spend five minutes squeezing every plier with a confused look when I ask them to get me a set.
Grab a medium size black plier dear apprentice.......

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Whelp, I guess I'm off to the "What's wrong with the industry" thread. Probably a $150 tool that's one stuck bolt away from the trash because they bonded in a $2 bit.

Could have at least used a set screw or something.
At least it's beautiful green ano though!!!11!1

Oh wait....

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Found this little Devil at work, they were an absolutely awesome drill back in the day.
I annoyingly bought one just after they moved production to China and they were crap compared to the Mexican ones.
IMG_20230330_175407.jpg

My boss's boss gave him a 7.2V Makita drill about a year ago, hahaha!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Ordered some pins to aid with swapping out winter/summer wheels on the VW, because wheel bolts. Even came in this fancy neon green case, which I'm sure I'll break the latch on within a year and make it useless.

Related; I also grabbed some random wheel bolt covers for the summer wheels. This package was about $12 delivered vs what, $6 per piece of plastic from the dealer? Thanks no thanks on that...

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Your vag product has bolts still? I have my order in to fcpeuro before driving home for studs.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I'm new to this vag thing. Though unless there is a downside to running bokts, why change it?
I'd assume it's for cheapness, same as engines.
It makes no sense in any way shape or form.

If you crossthread something you don't replace a single stud like normal, it's a pain in the ass to mount the wheel, winding a hardened thing in to a soft thing multiple times* seems silly.

*may not be an issue on VWs as tires may outlast the rotors.
I could see VW moving to TTY wheel bolts in the future if their profits ever start to dip.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I'd assume it's for cheapness, same as engines.
It makes no sense in any way shape or form.

If you crossthread something you don't replace a single stud like normal, it's a pain in the ass to mount the wheel, winding a hardened thing in to a soft thing multiple times* seems silly.

*may not be an issue on VWs as tires may outlast the rotors.
I could see VW moving to TTY wheel bolts in the future if their profits ever start to dip.
Yeah true about cross threading. Hopefully these pins help, so I don't have to juggle the wheel while trying to get one of the bolts started!