Quantcast

Tool Nerds, Questions and Tool Snobbery

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Oooof, almost hit pay
1682414673665.png

To the people with blind hole pullers, what's the smallest one you'd use on a bike?
Bikes don't have roller bearings these days do they?

Last edited:

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Anyone got decent suggestions for a western style dovetail saw? For some reason I see a bunch of saws in the $30-$40 range, then $175+, but little in the middle other than Veritas.

I'm tempted by a dozuki, both to use for dovetails and flush cutting, but I'm overall more comfortable with western style saws.
I have a couple of dozukis and I really like them for those tasks. No experience with the Veritas, but pretty hard to go wrong with most of what they make.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I'd go for a 62, it's the most universal plane for general woodworking, and the best value in LN's lineup. Also, last I checked, LN planes were going for more used on ebay than new MSRP, honestly has me tempted to off my entire collection, make a buck and buy back when the market cools off.
I saw that and wondered wtf is with that secondary market?

I ended up ordering a #4, but will also get a 62 at a later date. Got a few projects on the docket that are more suited to the #4 at the moment. Any other planes I need I'll probably supplement with vintage Stanleys, but might as well get the goofs for the more frequently used ones.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Hmmm, wasn't expecting it to be 14kg, postage must have cost a fortune from Mumbai!
I'll probably be the first person in Oz to be crushed to death by a toolbox.
IMG_20230501_171450.jpg

It's even got a thrust bearing under the puller nut, noice!

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
New Harbor Freight silicone tool tray dealio for my desk tools, huge win, will buy all three sizes for the garage.

Also new pocket light, Streamlight Macrostream, highly recommend if you need a small but bright as shit light that also has a not very bright mode.

C02C5D81-182B-4549-98AB-2BCCB6E00D5B.jpeg

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
Want a fancy bearing extractor set?

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Want a fancy bearing extractor set?

Yes, yes I do. I don't do enough bearing removal to warrant this, but I do still want it. Maybe if it could do 10mm bore sizes as well (have a bike with some 6900 suspension bearings)...

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I'd been waiting for these to go on special for a couple of years, didn't expect 50% off but I'm happy.
It's four speed with electronic clutch and I grabbed the tapping adaptor on it in the pic.
Having the high speed will let me clean gasket surfaces without having to use the air 90deg die grinder.
IMG_20230508_182742.jpg

For people thinking it might be a good drill to buy, if you don't have Fein batteries it's not a good purchase. It's a five year old model so all the major brands have a better option and a normal clutch is better than this one's electronic version in most circumstances.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
20230509_075325_copy_1000x750.jpg

Added a LN #4 to the collection. Now I must debate the merits of a #5 from LN or a tuned Stanley. It is a jack plane after all, so high quality is not a requirement, but having a matching set is enticing.

Smoothing some 6x6 laminated beams the FIL gave me to use as workbench legs. Now to source some large timber for a top.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
View attachment 193587

Added a LN #4 to the collection. Now I must debate the merits of a #5 from LN or a tuned Stanley. It is a jack plane after all, so high quality is not a requirement, but having a matching set is enticing.

Smoothing some 6x6 laminated beams the FIL gave me to use as workbench legs. Now to source some large timber for a top.
Don't need a high quality finish? You should try this electric one then tell me if it is worth buying, hahaha!
1683635674586.png

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Like jewelry. I only have their block plane and a few chisels but looking forward to adding to the collection.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
i need a rotor truing tool. park one is steel, abbey makes an aluminum one. price is the same. thoughts?
I have the park one and it's fine but I tend to use either knipex pliers or my hand with a blue towel most of the time. Abbey one looks like it's also useful as a piston press if that's something you'd use.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
i need a rotor truing tool. park one is steel, abbey makes an aluminum one. price is the same. thoughts?
People buy rotor truing tools? With money?

Crescent wrench, Knipex plier-wrench, random scrap of aluminum with a slit cut in it, a rock, save your money for things that matter, like tacos.

No7, do it!

For big beams there's nothing better, well, almost nothing, No 8s are better but way harder to find.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Buy more rotors and use the Knipex you probably already have? It’s nice having fresh ones.
the one thing i like about the park one is that the rotor slot is rather deep, and could probably handle spots of deformation that regular pliers couldn't.

and yes, i do have a set of knipex.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
People buy rotor truing tools? With money?

Crescent wrench, Knipex plier-wrench, random scrap of aluminum with a slit cut in it, a rock, save your money for things that matter, like tacos.

No7, do it!

For big beams there's nothing better, well, almost nothing, No 8s are better but way harder to find.
I'll eventually get the 5 and the 7. I don't have the space for a powered jointer so the hand plane will have to do.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'll tell you this, of all the things I've fucked up while working on a bike or bike parts, pulling bearings incorrectly is probably at the top of the list
I have the Chris King hub disassembly tool. I used to loan it out to whoever needed it. Stopped after several hacks managed to destroy their indestructable King bearings and somehow would get mad at me.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Needed some leads for the Scope, went with Silvertronic because the price was reasonable, they are made in the UK and most of my Fluke test lead set is pretty woeful quality wise, so it's time to try something else.
PXL_20230513_052905300~2.jpg

Had to take my Makita battery ratchet in for warranty again, piece of shit it is.
I have to get a new ratchet for my Snap-On one because I got it stuck in my neighbour's Hi-Lux engine bay, yanked the sucker out and now it's really hard to change the direction.
Tried straightening it but the assembly is riveted together, knowing my luck the replacement part will be $50 less than the tool cost.
I want a substitution wheel but they have been discontinued by the usual importer, they had been on the market for I think at least 30yrs.
1683973967250.png

Looks like I have to buy a much larger decade box but I just want something small for testing temp and fuel gauges.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I haven't used the new '22 34 SC much, but I did race it a few weeks back, so I figured it was time to crack it open and refresh it. You can't do it with a 10mm socket like before, the leg casting is too close. I had to machine a 10mm down, like I have for my Mastodon. At least I didn't have to get nearly as aggressive or thin as with the Manitou and at least the Fox isn't reverse-threaded like Manitou, but we are racing to the bottom here. Anyway, worked fine with some dremeling and filing.

1684286121678.png

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Anyone have experience with the PB Swiss Precision handles? I'm looking for some screwdriver handle hex drivers for some of the 3mm and smaller fasteners (limit screws, smaller fasteners on shifter bodies/hub preload clamp etc). Wondering if the handles on their precision line are large enough to provide a "reasonable" amount of torque for bike fasteners of this size.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Ordered some super exciting Metric fine dies, never heard of Volkel but they are 5% Cobalt so they should be okay.....
1684496544129.png

And got some NOS random brand UNC split dies and a couple of cheap burrs.
Next I have to get some NOS files but I need to work out what cuts/shapes I need, I have no idea which bastard is which.
Locally available files are so damn soft compared to old ones we have at work.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
Next I have to get some NOS files but I need to work out what cuts/shapes I need, I have no idea which bastard is which.
Locally available files are so damn soft compared to old ones we have at work.
I’ve had better luck with good modern files than older ones. I tend to buy Nicholson if I’m not sure how much I’ll use it, and upgrade to a Pferd when/if the Nicholson wears out. They’re spendy, but it’s what all the tool and die guys I work with swear by.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I’ve had better luck with good modern files than older ones. I tend to buy Nicholson if I’m not sure how much I’ll use it, and upgrade to a Pferd when/if the Nicholson wears out. They’re spendy, but it’s what all the tool and die guys I work with swear by.

I like the old Wiltshire ones, they seem to last well.
Did have a bunch of Simonds files in my cart on Ebay but post was 40 Pounds which was a bit much.
Grobert seem to get mentioned a bit on the white people making useless stuff sorta sites.

I'm struggling not to buy a hardness tester but I don't think it would work properly comparing old files to new ones if the new ones are case hardened.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
To the owners of fancy ratchets...worth it? Debating picking up one of the Nepros 1/4" ratchets from DRPD.cc during their sale this weekend. I find myself using a small ratchet when working on bikes a lot and have a very standard Craftsman that's fine, just wondering if the $130 option would bring great joy.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Whether it's worth it is your call. I have a 1/4" Snap-on flex-head ratchet I've owned for 30 years or so and it gives me great joy every time I use it. For home use it's probably not functionally any better than something less pricey, but it's worth it to me. Plus whatever incremental extra amount I paid for it is long forgotten.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Would definitely be an unjustifiable purchase, mostly considering due to the sale and how much I enjoy using really nice tools.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Gearwrench keeps winning with project farm.
I wouldn't buy a Gearwrench ratchet without being able to try it in store, the backdrag varies quite a bit between models even if it has the same tooth count.

To the owners of fancy ratchets...worth it? Debating picking up one of the Nepros 1/4" ratchets from DRPD.cc during their sale this weekend. I find myself using a small ratchet when working on bikes a lot and have a very standard Craftsman that's fine, just wondering if the $130 option would bring great joy.
I am repeating myself but I'm old so it's okay, I like a non lock on ratchet with a nice big exposed centre piece on the back so I can thumb it to force the ratchet to ratchet. The only one with a locking head that I like is the cheap little 1/4" felo it has never been cleaned and has not skipped a tooth in three years with daily use, I've even snapped an extension with it.

I have Stahlwille, Gedore, Gearwrench, Old Proto(shit) and Koken ratchets.
If I were to buy another 1/4" ratchet it would be a Koken flex 72t jobbie, Koken ratchets aren't perfect but they are nice. The direction change is bit weird/clunky and the grips on the handles do start to swell with oil after a year or so, but my tools almost never have the grease/oil wiped off them.
1685195412984.png

The Nepros stuff looks properly fancy, I couldn't buy anything from their site, not sure why but it was probably good as I have grown to hate shiny chrome tools as much as I hate slippery full glass phones.

Still the best 1/2" I have but it doesn't make the 1000Nm claim, haha!

Last edited:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Maybe a bit late, but I have 0 regrets updating my stable of ratchets from Craftsman to Snap-On. Are they leaps ans bounds better? No, not really. But every Craftsman ratchet I've ever had locks up under moderate torque, that's never happened with my Snappys. That and being able to rebuild the guts plus the ability to purchase longer ratchets is nice to have.

I find the difference is more noticeable in 1/2" drive than 1/4" drive.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
I went ahead and picked up the Nepros 1/4" flex head. I didn't have a 1/4" flex head and figure that it would be helpful for working in tight places as you often are dealing with smaller fasteners. Plus...shiny.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
the one thing i like about the park one is that the rotor slot is rather deep, and could probably handle spots of deformation that regular pliers couldn't.

and yes, i do have a set of knipex.
Did you get the tool yet? Just wondering,I think I have a Morning Star AL one which he made for the Pack being lighter. On the handle is a tire lever. His Home ones are 6mm thick Steel? I have them. It is still in the Plastic. I bought a few for Gifts and to support him. I can check if you like?

Avy

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Car copped some solid hail dings last week, it's not worth much so I figured learning that I'm shit at dent removal would be fun.
After doing no research I ordered some paintless dent removal stuff.
1685705880263.png

1685705922932.png

And some glue sticks.

I'll make an adaptor for my bearing puller at work.
This is such a dumb idea that I am quite excited, hopefully it will go better than "I'm a mechanic so I can service a Thomson dropper......"