Quantcast

Top 3 Freeride/ Trail Rider Strength Training Exercises

bikejames

Chimp
Oct 13, 2006
Strength training for the MTB world has been slow to catch up to the unique and highly physical demands of our sport. Today’s average rider rips up trails that just 5-6 years ago would have been considered extreme and today’s extreme rider…well, let’s just say that they continue to defy all logic in their quest to progress our sport. Considering how fast our sport has evolved in such a short period of time it really comes as no surprise that most MTB specific strength and conditioning programs are stuck in the time when cantilever brakes were still viable options and anodized purple was a highly sought after fashion statement.

Today’s MTB world is not simply road riding on a dirt road. Muscling a 35+ pound bike around on a technical trail requires a far different skill set and physical attributes than MTB riders needed at the turn of the century. As such, routines and exercise selection needs to reflect this fact. With this in mind,here's what I consider to be the top 3 exercises for the trail rider/ freerider to include in their program (besides the deadlift, of course, which is a must for every rider).

1. Bulgarian Split Squat – One of the best things about this exercise is that, when done correctly, it serves as both a great uni-lateral leg exercise and a great hip flexor stretch. Prop your trail leg up on a bench, make sure that you start with your torso completely upright with your shoulders and hips square. Lower yourself under control (don’t just turn the muscles off and drop) and make sure that you keep your torso upright and everything square on the way down.

You may notice a tendency to lean over as you lower yourself, indicating weak or inhibited glutes. Leaning over lets you use your low back to help you get back up and should be avoided in order to establish the movement pattern we are looking for. You may also notice that you want to let your hips open up as you come down as well. This indicates tight hip flexors and every effort should be made to keep the hips square in order to maximize the stretch on this area during the exercise. Just like everything else with your strength training, it’s not just about going through the motions, it’s about doing the movement pattern correctly in order to get everything we can out of our time investment.

2. Pull Ups/ Chin Ups & Variations – Most freeride/ Trail riders are very weak in the upper body. This really takes its toll as the trail gets rougher and the ride gets longer. Having good upper body strength and strength endurance is vital to controlling your bike and maneuvering down the trail. In fact, if more riders worried about getting stronger rather than how to shave a few pounds off their bikes they would be far better served.

Pull Ups, Chin Ups and their variations are a great way to strengthen the upper back and gain good body control. Let me clear up a few things – 1) it is not a chin/ pull up if you do not straighten your arms all the way at the bottom and allow your shoulders to come up by your ears as well. Most people who think that they can do an adequate pull/ chin up are really fooling themselves by not coming all the way down at the bottom. 2) Pull ups indicate that your palms are facing away from you and chin ups indicate that your palms are facing towards you. Both have their place in a program but I almost always start people out with chin ups as they are easier learn how to initiate the movement by pulling the shoulder blades down. 3) If you can do more than 8 reps in a set then strap some weight to yourself. Adding more reps will only start to work on short term strength endurance and we want to get stronger through strength training (imagine that). Strength endurance should be addressed in the overall program but not when we are looking to add real strength. I can personally do a chin up with more weight than I can bench (bodyweight of 180 lbs. plus 95 lbs. strapped to me) and I feel that every MTB rider should be able to do the same.

3. Standing Military Press – As I have already commented on, most MTB riders need some more upper body strength and the standing military press is one of the best exercises available for strengthening the pressing muscles. Over the last few decades there has been a real decline in the use of the standing military press in strength training programs. Most have shied away from it for injury concern reasons (I think ego is more of a factor since you can bench far more than you can press over your head). This is extremely unfortunate since, when done correctly, the standing military press will not only add upper body strength, it will actually help injury proof the torso and shoulders as well.

If you make sure that you keep the torso strong with no backward lean when pressing over your head then you not only protect the lower back, you help strengthen the torso like few other exercises can. Pressing over your head also forces all of the muscles around your shoulder to fire in order to stabilize the entire shoulder during the lift, helping to injury proof this area as well. Both of these areas are trouble spots for bikers during long, pounding rides with a heavy hydration pack strapped to them. The military press builds true functional upper body strength in a very efficient package.

There you have it, the Top 3 Exercises for the freeride/ Trail riders. You guys make up the bulk of the riding world and can gain a lot from a good strength and conditioning program. For a long time now the bike industry has mislead you by making you think that a new bike or a new part will make the biggest difference on the trail when it is the engine that drive the bike that makes the real impact. Getting stronger in these exerises will allow you to ride harder, faster and longer, adding up to more fun on the trail. Isn’t that what it’s all about anyways?

siege

Monkey
Sep 30, 2006
kapolei, Hi
Another excellent excersize is the "Standing Row". Using a pair of dumbells. While holding both palm down and arms relaxed (the same way you would hold the handlebar) lift strait up to your chin and extend the elbows up (like pulling up on the handle bar of your bike). Make sure you stand strait and use a weight that you can control. Something equal to the weight of your bike would be a good place to work up to.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
definately don't forget to work your forearms. the dowel method is my favorite. tie a weight, about 10 lbs to start, to a piece of rope. drill a hole through a piece of 2-3 inch diameter PVC pipe, and thread the rope through. tie a knot so that it won't come out. now, grab the pvc with the rope fully extended. turn the dowel using your wrists, and try to keep your arms straight with your hands at shoulder level. rotate the dowel until the weight reaches the pipe and the rope is completely wound up, and then repeat the excercise. it works really well, and is very important because when racing DH, 4X, slalom, or just riding long, technical trails, your forearms will get fatigued, and the stronger they are, the better.

bikejames

Chimp
Oct 13, 2006
Another excellent excersize is the "Standing Row". Using a pair of dumbells. While holding both palm down and arms relaxed (the same way you would hold the handlebar) lift strait up to your chin and extend the elbows up (like pulling up on the handle bar of your bike). Make sure you stand strait and use a weight that you can control. Something equal to the weight of your bike would be a good place to work up to.
I personally do not like to prescribe this movement because of the potential for shoulder impingement issues. By maximally internally rotating your arms and raising them your really minimize the joint space in the shoulder capsule and make it hard for everything in there to move freely. Using DBs is better then the bar version but still tough on the shoulders.

Additionally, this is not really an MTB specific movement pattern as it would appear. Pulling up on your front end is more like a power clean or high pull in which the movement is actually generated by the hips and then transfered to the upper body.

Thanks for the insight though. I can not argue with results and if you feel that these have really helped you then great, I just do not usually recommend them for the above stated reasons.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Good thread and great ideas. IFO use trailwork as my workout as I have no time/patience for a gym. It definitely keeps me strong and makes for better trails. Everybody benefits from my efforts as well.

I also feel alot of small injuries could be avoided by stretching on a regular basis. Strength is important, but agility/flexibility is paramount.

bikejames

Chimp
Oct 13, 2006
id recommend 2 PBR's and a bag of Dorritos... but only if youre riding at keystone. Otherwise stick to the methods stated above.
Ha! How did you find out my secret post workout meal? I prefer Cheetos to the Doritos but either will do...:biggrin:

D

dirtyjrzy1031

i train with a weighted vest on so i can build strength,endurance,andspeed alot quicker. Dont forget about the core excercises too build a strong body u have to build a string core first

julianday0

Chimp
Mar 17, 2007
SIT-ups and leg lifts. It sounds lame but yoga has been the best for rehabilitation. Strength training is necissary but also limited in providing the kind of balance that equates to improved riding

dirt-dart

Monkey
Feb 26, 2006
mccall ID/eagle river AK
this is a great thread, i have always wondered what what would be good exercises. i wonder if tricep pushdowns, bench press and seated row would also be some other good ones to strengthen your arms and chest for more controll when jumping and doing tricks, especially if you are doing something like a cancan or tailwhip.

eball

Chimp
Apr 11, 2007
Great Thread and Advice from James

I work out 3 to 4 days a week in the gym and ride on my off days, be it Urban, trail or freeride and I can tell you that it helps my riding a great deal, always remember that the stronger you make your core, the more balance and strength that you will have on the bike