Quantcast

Top Gear US

kingbee

Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Ohio
Discuss...

http://jalopnik.com/5016771/top-gear-officially-coming-to-nbc

BURBANK - June 16, 2008 - Television and radio comedian Adam Carolla, champion rally and drift racer Tanner Foust, and TV construction guru Eric Stromer, will lead NBC’s pilot of the international smash hit series “Top Gear.” The production will begin later this week.

Produced by BBC Worldwide America, the U.S. version of the hit franchise will mirror the UK show’s irreverent humor and camaraderie between the three presenters, epic races, outrageous stunts and challenges, unique celebrity guest participation and eccentric methods of testing cars.

"This franchise is a proven winner worldwide and the hosting team of Adam, Tanner and Eric that we have brought together for the U.S. version offers a perfect match of humor, insider know-how and priceless track experience," said Craig Plestis, Executive Vice President, Alternative Programming Development and Specials, NBC Entertainment. "We are going to create a high-powered show that, like the original, will keep viewers in every demographic clutching the edge of their seats."

“These three guys will get to drive the world’s most amazing cars, go on incredible road trips and blow stuff up. It’s a dirty old job but someone has to do it…why didn’t I get the job?!” said Paul Telegdy, Executive Vice President, TV Sales and Content & Production, BBC Worldwide America.

Jeremy Clarkson, executive producer and host of the UK “Top Gear” said: “This is fantastic news - but how on earth you lot are going to do it on the wrong side of the road I’ve no idea.”

skunkty14

Monkey
May 29, 2007
Fail.

Adam Corrola? This is going to be terrible. Good thing cable has real BBC and real Top Gear.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I actually think Adam Corrola isnt a horrible choice, but the other two ugh... Tanner Foust might be a decent driver, but he is horrible on the "Speed" shows he is currently involved in.

I remember one particular episode of "SuperCars" or something where there is some Rapstar test driving a 599GTB, and Neon SRT gets up behind it on an on ramp and couldnt drop the SRT. Tanner said something stupid when a puff of smoke came out of the SRT during a shift. Why in the world would they even show a 20k car riding the arse of a Ferrari, must less Tanner mouthing off about it. ANyway he is a tool.

I am not a big NASCAR fan by any means, but how about throwing a popular driver or something in the mix. They at least usually have a love them, or hate them personality.
mmmm Danica Patrick would make it interesting....

TopGear from the BBC is probably the best show on TV.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
I am not a big NASCAR fan by any means, but how about throwing a popular driver or something in the mix. They at least usually have a love them, or hate them personality.
mmmm Danica Patrick would make it interesting....
When I first read this I was thinking Boris Said. He sorta looks like clarkson with that crazy fro of his.

kingbee

Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Ohio
I'm waiting for it to suck as well. I think its going to be dumbed down for the usual American viewer that gets lost in the British humor that is Top Gear. If they named it something different, and called it what it is (a knock off of a great show) then people wouldn't compare it to the original. And maybe, just maybe it would do OK.

I think it will be like Junk Yard Wars. It was a good show, but comparing it to the original killed it.

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
It will never be as good as the original, but I hope it is good enough to bother watching. I wouldn't mind if it were a close second. TV could use some good TV. Haha When is it supposed to be aired?

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
TopGear's Out of Africa show was great!

Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May have to take second hand cars costing no more than £1,500 on a desert safari in Africa and just for fun the Top Gear producers have decided they are not allowed any 4x4 vehicles.

So they bought a 1984 Mercedes 230E, Lancia Beta Coupe, and a 1963 Opal Kadet and a VW Bug (as a back up in case one of their promary cars broke down)

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
I am excited about this. I like Carrola, and respect Faust. Is BBC America planning on keeping the British show in the line up. It would be a shame to lose it.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
so this is going to be another show where carolla doesn't have any idea what everyone else is talking about so he's going to make stupid comments in an attempt to be funny and get attention?

i think i'll pass.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
The UK version is easily my favorite TV show of all time. I'm reserving judgement on the US version until I see it, but I don't have my hopes up. I forsee grand amounts of advertiser cocksucking, something the UK version doesn't have to deal with.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
yeah i foresee some heavy doses of FAIL coming.

Adam Corolla isn't funny without Jimmy Kimmel. I don't know Faust, but why on earth they didn't pick up Travis Pastrami is beyond me. That guy can drive, he seems to know his ****, and he's actually pretty funny. I hate him because I kind of wish I was him.

I'd pick pastrami, somebody like seth rogen or the short chubby standup comedian (whose name I can't remember), and then some random actor, preferably somebody a little awkward but intelligent.....like Bruce Campbell or something.

The british show works because clarkson is intelligent, funny, and he really tells it like it is. The short guy provides comic relief, and the grandma-looking guy tries real hard but is just so freaking awkward.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
yeah i foresee some heavy doses of FAIL coming.

Adam Corolla isn't funny without Jimmy Kimmel. I don't know Faust, but why on earth they didn't pick up Travis Pastrami is beyond me. That guy can drive, he seems to know his ****, and he's actually pretty funny. I hate him because I kind of wish I was him.

I'd pick pastrami, somebody like seth rogen or the short chubby standup comedian (whose name I can't remember), and then some random actor, preferably somebody a little awkward but intelligent.....like Bruce Campbell or something.

The british show works because clarkson is intelligent, funny, and he really tells it like it is. The short guy provides comic relief, and the grandma-looking guy tries real hard but is just so freaking awkward.
Pastrana would be way more entertaining than those dudes.

But then again a pig, a turnip, and a dead transvestite hooker would be more entertaining.

JewBagel

Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
oregon
This is just going to suck. The whole reason Top Gear is amazing is because of the personalities on it. All of them are auto enthusiasts but none are amazing drivers, they just say the most ridiculous **** and do the most random things toss in a little good editing, some really expensive cars and the show is great.

I really hope this fails, it will never come close to the original in terms of entertainment.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
I know its a stretch but agents seem to be pretty damn good these days.

Leno
Hugh Laurie
Seann William Scott or David hasselhoff

What would instantly make this thing fail is "GM proud sponsor of Top Gear"