Votes: 15 27.8%
  • Bad

Votes: 31 57.4%

• Total voters

Greggah

Motorboat
Oct 9, 2008
Gonic, NH
The in car shots looked like they were filmed with a "flip" camera duct taped to the windshield all shaky and vibrating.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
god, Tanner Foust has a knack of making any show HORRIBLE.

another bad show. at least they didnt fast forward any video footage this week.

kingbee

Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Ohio
Anyone else think episode 2 was much better than the first? The drifting part had me laughing a few times.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
My wife is a huge TG fan and couldn't stomach TGUSA. She told me to turn it off during the helicopter chase.

I'll give it another ep or two.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
My wife is a huge TG fan and couldn't stomach TGUSA. She told me to turn it off during the helicopter chase.

I'll give it another ep or two.
Mine is too, and the 1st episode was so bad I didn't even let her watch it. The 2nd episode we watched together and it was marginally better, and she actually liked the "is that a British thing? Lying?" line. My only question is, if the producers realized exactly how bad the first couple shows were, why didn't they just start airing it at the 3rd show and ditch the first 2? It's obvious that the guys have barely even gotten to know each other, and they're only now actually starting to have any chemistry at all?

Oh well, we're back watching the UKTG Season 1, and just downloaded the 2nd season once we're finished. All I can say is GOOD RIDDANCE TO JASON!!!

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I watched both episodes last night. I think it's not that bad. It's certainly not as good as TGUK currently is, but of course a brand new show with new cast and crew will not be as good as one with 15 seasons. A few parts and lines were pretty bad, but I think that over time everything will improve. I'll keep watching for now.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Only watched the first one so far. Overall, it could be worse. The main issue from my end is that the presenters seem like they're auditioning for the roles. Tanner Foust is ok. Certainly the most polished automotive presenter of the three. Rutledge Wood seems like he'll be alright, although he wasn't great to start. Adam Ferrara is, so far, awful, although I liked the cursing during gearchanges.

NorseManiac

Monkey
Mar 15, 2006
The North Shore, MA
I watched both episodes so far. I will say the comic relief I get from Jeremy on TGUK wont be matched on this version, ever. I did find myself entertained and at times found certain parts totally unbelievable. Tanner and Rutledge have car backgrounds, that other guy at times is funny, but doesn't bring much. I will keep watching.

kingbee

Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Ohio
I know one concern people had going into TGUSA is if they would be honest about some of the negative aspects of the cars. I have been happy to see that they don't mind pointing out the bad as well as the good. They pretty much tore apart the Vantage V8 and said it sucked and even listed off other cars you are better off driving. Then it was cool to see the V12 do its thing.

I wish they would have put the V8 around the track to compare it to the V12.

Calling Tanner the Bryan Boytano of the drifting world made me LOL.

Oh and they kept calling Adam "mr clutch", is that an attempt at their own "captain slow"?

Last edited:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I know one concern people had going into TGUSA is if they would be honest about some of the negative aspects of the cars. I have been happy to see that they don't mind pointing out the bad as well as the good. They pretty much tore apart the Vantage V8 and said it sucked and even listed off other cars you are better off driving. Then it was cool to see the V12 do its thing.
They ripped apart the V8 as a prelude to talking about the V12. For them to actually be negative, I can just picture Clarkson coming on after gushing about the POWER of the V12, and something of the following taking place:

Hammond (May): "So that's it, the V12 corrects all of the issues with the V8, so it's a perfect combination of power and style, right?"
Clarkson: "Actually...... no. Yes, the additional horsepower is desperately needed, and yes, Aston did a great job of implementing it, but it's sixty THOUSAND dollars for 100hp. That's $600 per horse! Or, to put it another way, you can buy a V8 Vantage *and* a Cadillac CTS-V, which has 550 horsepower, even more than the V12, for when you want to show off for your friends. There's just no reason for it to cost that much, it's rubbish!!"

Ok, so that would never take place because the guys at TGUK looooooooove Aston Martin (especially Clarkson), but I've yet to hear an actual negative review. It has only been two episodes, so we'll have to see how the rest of the season plays out.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
finally getting better!
i thought Ferrara would be the funnier host, but Wood is actually stealing his comedic thunder.

dont get why Wood and Foust dressed like twins though.

next week's episode looks good too.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
getting moar and moar better i think.
Ferrara does stink though.

Would have been nice to see them test the Velociraptor 600 in the race. and maybe not have a race every episode.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
what Top Gear USA should have been
Carolla and Farrah would have been perfect for TG USA

Speed Channel has reportedly inked a deal with Mandt Bros. Productions to pilot a new automotive television series (currently untitled) hosted by Adam Carolla, Pulitzer-winning journalist Dan Neil, former NBA 'baller John Salley and Matt Farah from The Smoking Tire.

Consider our interest piqued by the cast alone. We've seen Carolla do his thing – including witnessing the taping of the un-aired pilot for the defunct NBC Top Gear project, which has nothing to do with the current iteration on History – and he definitely knows and loves cars.

Moving past the headline-generating Adam Carolla, we've long been fans of Dan Neil, and John Salley was rather good on The Best Damn Sports Show Period. Finally, Farah has carved out a nice niche and has garnered a fan base of his own on The Smoking Tire.

As far as the show's format goes, it sounds similar to the Top Gear model with "news and conversation centered around cars, as well as pre-recorded features shot on the road." It could be interesting, but we'll take our usual wait-and-see approach...
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/12/13/report-adam-carolla-dan-neil-to-host-speed-channel-pilot/

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Hi I'm Tanner Faust, and I'm gonna do burnouts and drift around EVERYTHING! This guy doing BURNOUTS is gonna do BURNOUTS in my truck while I do BURNOUTS and DRIFTING in my truck!

BURNOUTS

DRIFTING

TOP GEAR USA NICE SWEET GIMME A FOURLOKO

anxious to hear more about this new series though...

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
it's craptastic.

None of the entertainment value of the BB'b version, plus they suck up to the car industry a lot more than the Brits do.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
I just watched this weeks episode. I found it entertaining. Like to take a Raptor out for a spin. I see one around town quite a bit.
Buddy of mine has an orange one... we roadtripped to preride a couple of racecourses this year. The thing rides great on the street and has a fairly good deal of grunt for such a big vehicle. I'd live to see what it could do offroad, definitely looks like it could do some damage, especially with that sick fox suspension.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
just when it started to get good, they air that horrible knock-off of the British version.
i laughed a few times but then realized it was a near identical copy of the same thing Jezza and the others did...
e-brake test on a hill. check
car filled with water. check
egg in colander. check
crashing into each others cars. check

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
that last one was just so terrible. I understand what they're trying to do (top gear) and why they're trying to do it (cause it's funny/entertaining/profitable) but they're just doing it wrong. They all look like whiney hipster emo brats. None of them are funny, most of the planned jokes go over worse than my own, and tanner floust tries his hardest to burnout or drift around everything.

It killed me that they picked the buick RM as the best car, then didn't show the CTS wagon. The CTSW is exactly what a modern roadmaster should be. Instead they had art class jim design a new byook with 20" reemz and woodgrainz.

It's laughably bad, the only reason I finished the episode was to see what car they picked. Tony hawk? come on....

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
i suppose that would also work. I was really hoping Pontiac was going to have the G8 wagon
but none of that panned out. I don't know the size similarities between the G8 and CTS, but why not dumb down the CTS and reverse badge-engineer it into Buick form? Give it slightly less angular sheet metal and lower power more efficient engines.... And NOT a 6 speed manual, idiots....it's a buick, not a sports car.