Quantcast

Top Gear

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
My complaint with it (from a TOTAL armchair engineering standpoint obviously) is basically in line with what JC says about it. It seems too much like a spectacular piece of engineering and not enough a drivers car. Its emphasis is more on going as fast as they can possibly make it and not so much on making it fun if that makes sense. Too much electronics making it drive itself so you don't get to do it because you suck and doing things that way is faster. Cool, but not what I think I'd want if I were fvcking loaded and wanting to buy a car that costs as much as a nice house most places.
he was also testing the 661hp car in the rain.... which, even with its TC on, it is still a handful to drive.
although the car was designed around it's engine and TC system, it is still drivable without it on from the reviews ive seen.
modern TC systems are in every car and usually do a decent job. i dont see why you wouldnt want one of THE best systems on the market to handle your V12 supercar.

and with a starting price of $460k and a typical selling price of nearly $600k, that can for sure buy a helluva house. if i had that kinda cash, this would be the first thing i would buy.

i still find it hard to believe that it was slower than the 430 Scuderia and the 458 Italia.

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I dont see why you wouldnt want one of THE best systems on the market to handle your V12 supercar.
You're missing my point. The thing that appeals to me about cars isn't the super geeky technology that's holding it all together in something like the 599. I like the idea of something more simple, a car that does what I want when I want it to because I pressed one of the pedals. I like the 288 GTO about a million times more for that reason, and to hell with the fact that it's slower.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
the computers and TC arent my main attraction to this car, but they are part of the overall package of what i do like about it.
i do love all things Rosso and i do find it hard to compare the 599 GTO to something along the lines of the old 288 GTO or even the F40, but they all are amazing cars IMO. they each did what they were designed to do, very, very well.

the technology is what i love about their modern cars (7 speeds DSG's or quick 50ms F1 trannys, carbon up the ass,computers) and the ultra bare-bones of their yesteryear cars is also what i love about them (carbs, gated shifters, basic suspension, right foot TC systems)

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
the technology is what i love about their modern cars (7 speeds DSG's or quick 50ms F1 trannys, carbon up the ass,computers)
This doesn't do much for me.
and the ultra bare-bones of their yesteryear cars is also what i love about them (carbs, gated shifters, basic suspension, right foot TC systems)
This does. That's my point. I totally get where you're coming from, I just disagree.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Forget the sports cars, I want the Transit van they had in the first Aussie vs UK challenge!

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
didnt really think it was that bad at all. the review on the M3 and RS5 was a bit lacking, but the whole snow plow bit was pretty good.

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
fair enough, i thought it was awful myself. 5-10mins or cars (which might as well have been an M3 v RS4 test from a couple of years back) and 45 mins of "oh look we've crashed", "oh look we've damaged a house/sign", "oh we're going to get thrown out the country" doesn't really work for me

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I thought it was alright too. Not their best effort, but not bad.

Really looking forward to 959 vs F-40 next week. :drool:

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
I'm hoping it will get better with time. I went back and watched the first season of the current Top Gear UK series recently, and it's not very good.

About half way through the second season it started getting much, much better. With the UK version they were smart enough to replace Jason Dawe with James May, but hopefully they'll still start to get into a groove with the US version as they have more time together.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I'm hoping it will get better with time. I went back and watched the first season of the current Top Gear UK series recently, and it's not very good.

About half way through the second season it started getting much, much better. With the UK version they were smart enough to replace Jason Dawe with James May, but hopefully they'll still start to get into a groove with the US version as they have more time together.
unless they change the entire cast, it will continue to suck. they are all so awkward with each other and time isnt going to fix that

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
series or season? i hope not the series.... and if the season, why only after 6 episodes?
like mattmatt said, "series" is what we call a "season"
And that, I’m afraid, is it for this series. For what it’s worth, we’re quietly proud of the last six shows. Yes, the news seemed to be getting ever more smutty and yes, we appreciate that you still don’t know or care who Amber Heard is. But during this series we’ve also solved Britain’s economic crisis, revealed the unsavoury side of used cars, vanquished the Aussies in a car-based Ashes, discovered the many delights of Albania, and crowned a new king of the celebrity lap board.

Many of you have asked why, discounting the Middle East special and the Christmas show that aired in December, this series was just six shows strong. Well, we’re primarily funded by the licence fee and our pockets are not as deep as you might think, especially since the BBC has had to tighten its belt in recent years. With that in mind, we’ve plumped for a ‘quality not quantity’ philosophy to ensure the look and the scope of the show isn’t compromised.

The presenters and the rest of the Top Gear team are always keen to read your comments so please keep ’em coming between now and when we return in the summer. Don’t forget to visit this website on Sunday evening for more exclusive behind-the-scenes video content, hopefully NOT involving Mr Andy Wilman’s underpants.
http://transmission.blogs.topgear.com/2011/02/25/last-current-series/

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
In the first episode of the season when they were showing what was to come, they had a clip of a Hummer blowing up, and Hammond driving something enormous and red and crashing into stuff. What happened to those bits?