Quantcast

top mounts?

hoodie

Chimp
Apr 14, 2003
I have to get new levers for my 'cross bike and I m thinking maybe adding some top mounts. either the salsas or the tektros, I cant shell for the blingbling pauls. Im thinking maybe just top mounts instead of aeros. thats nutty for sure, Im not really sure if itll work for me, I like having the hoods to ride on. probly will do both. anybody run just topmounts or both? thoughts?

recidivist

Monkey
Aug 29, 2002
Soquel, Cali
I'm not sure you can run just topmounts, what with the way they 'interrupt' the cable.

Well, no, I take that back. I'm sure there's some way you could Macguyver it up by fixing the cable end in one place...

hoodie

Chimp
Apr 14, 2003
frogglegs are sexy and cool.
I think if one were to just run cable to the lever, chop it and tighten the pinch bolt as seen in the pic it should work?

recidivist

Monkey
Aug 29, 2002
Soquel, Cali
Originally posted by hoodie
frogglegs are sexy and cool.
I think if one were to just run cable to the lever, chop it and tighten the pinch bolt as seen in the pic it should work?
Isn't that the pinch bolt which attaches the brake to the bar? Hm.

I think that's the right idea, though. Run the housing to the lever. Run the cable through the housing, through the lever, and then stop it somehow. Tie a knot in it, use a u-bolt, tape it to the bar.

Or, I guess the cable end would be big enough to just, ya know, stay there. Maybe if you used a mushroom-end, it'll nestle in the lever nicely.

hoodie

Chimp
Apr 14, 2003
yeah youre right, that is the pinch bolt is for the bar. not having used or installed top mounts, I checked the instructions at cycloworld, still a little confused but you are correct, it would require some mcguyvering.

hoodie

Chimp
Apr 14, 2003
Originally posted by JRogers
You really want to run just top mounts? You descend on the flats?
I hear ya, I spend more time on the hoods than anywhere so its probly a really dumb idea. these are for a surly that Ive never raced on and mostly use as a commuter/play bike though so Im a little more inclined to try something unusual. just tossin it around.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I have an Empella and I don't race or anything. Use it for riding to class and some trails and road riding. I spend most of my time on the flats and even I don't really feel like I need top mounts. Sometimes, they would be nice but not worth the cost or effort. I'd mainly be worried just about control....having your hands on the inner part of the flats on a steep DH is not necessarily the best thing

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
i have a pair of the spooky's, they are similar to the empella's and the tektro's are a direct rip-off.

They are light and work pretty good. I really like the pauls and IRD levers because you can slide them in closer to the stem.

if you just want to run top mount levers, get a normal bmx lever like a mx99. way cheaper with a built in cable stop...

back in the day before the "made" top mount levers that is pretty much how we'd rig it up.

two cables in each stradle cable

siebelmachen !

hoodie

Chimp
Apr 14, 2003
thats fatty fat fat. is that a rocky mtn? I (Im ignorant) didnt know they made a cyclocross..nice ride

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
Originally posted by hoodie
thats fatty fat fat. is that a rocky mtn? I (Im ignorant) didnt know they made a cyclocross..nice ride
That is a 2002 Rocky Mountain Rail. They did not make it again for this year.

Thanks. :)