Quantcast

Top notch Point and shoots?

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Some background info...

Im a hobby photographer and I take my hobby semi seriously, meaning I love taking beautifull photos but Im not using 5000 Euro bodys with L glass yet, allthough I am thinking about an upgrade from my (ex) Rebel XTi with kitlens, 10/22mm canon and 70/300mm Tamron.

The problem is my gear was stolen last winter travelling in Latin America and Im still waiting for my insurance to show me the money.
In the mean time Im working all over Scandinavia, currently the Norwegian westcoast and Im missing out on a lot of beautifull photos which bothers me cause Ill probably never go here again...

Any suggestions/experiances?

Last edited:

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Do you need a super-zoom, or are you looking for something more for wide angles?
I used my 10/22mm a lot more then the 70/300mm so if Id have to make a choice Id say wide angle.

The Panasonic DMC-ZS1 has great bang for the buck (last year's model but the current version doesn't really give anything significant in the still photography features) - you can find them for less than $200 USD shipped around here:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/ZS1/ZS1A.HTM
I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC fs24, bought it after my DSLR got stolen and I didnt wanna spend a lot of money on a camera. (bought it in Rio de Janeiro during Carnaval :D)
Anyways, I wasnt impressed with the image quality at all and after a few weeks the screen broke, not eager on buying another Panasonic after that...

Edit: After looking a bit on the internet the Canon might be a little bit much for a point and shoot, Ill be buying a new DSLR as well so a smalller cam without the zoom might be a better id...

Last edited:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I wouldn't stress over this decision too much. There are many little compacts that take great photos.

I don't know of any high quality compacts that are hitting wider than the 24mm equivalent of the Sony WX1 (I take it back, upon searching, the Kodak Easyshare V705 nets you a paltry 1mm on the wide end).

I'm sure the Sony is great. I have a Canon SDxxx series to supplement my DSLR, and have shot with several out of that series of cameras, and they all are reliable, quality shooters. I do like the looks of that Sony, though, if the low light is really what it's cracked up to be.

This is one of those areas where you can overthink it. You're going to have a SLR again, that will be your quality camera. Buy something where the sample photos look good, and the specs are what you want. If you can go handle them, so much the better.

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
I've got a DSLR with L glass and a P&S. My P&S is a Nikon L22. Great little camera, and takes nice photos for a P&S. It is what I used, with an underwater pouch, to shoot sea turtles in Hawaii, and a couple of rainbows.

It is what I use when I don't want to bring the "big" camera along.

Check out my ride report of the Kuoloa Ranch. I shot those with my P&S.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
The overthinking is mostly because I was disapointed with picture quality of the Lumix I bought a while back, but this probably had to do with the fact that it wasnt Panasonics top of the line P&S. Dont want to make that same mistake again.

Photos arent that bad I guess but I like my photos sharp as a razor and these (clickable) are about as sharp as an old pocketknife. (actually works for photo nr2)

Ive narrowed it down between the Sony Cybershot and Lumix (after reading some more reviews) because they have a slightly wider angle.
The Nikon also looks good but Ive allready had some time with some Sony and Panasonic cams so maybe its easier to stick with what Im used to.

Thanks for the input guys!
Ill report back when Ive been to the store :D

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Holy crap. So I've been poking around at the compact / sub-compact cameras for a little bit now after the wife said she'd like one for her birthday. I currently have an XTi with a Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 lens and a Canon 100mm f2.0 that she's afraid to use (and wants a smaller camera to take with her on trips, etc).

So since I already have a Canon (and all of the Canon software), I'd started looking at them, and I'm completely lost. It looks like there are cameras every $15-20 in the sub-$200 range. Then of course there is Fuji, Nikon, Panasonic, Sony, Samsung, Kodak, Olympus, etc, all with about 50 cameras each in that sub $200 range (and double that if you go up to $250). For example, on buydig.com if you filter by "P&S under $220" you end up with 210 results. Yes, many of those are different colors of one model, but where the heck do I start?

My priorities (in order of importance) are:

Less than $200 (can go a little higher if necessary)
Small (Subcompact, so I can toss in a pocket)
IS (I can't hold tiny cameras steady)
Great picture quality
Good low-light quality

Would be nice if it:
Shoots RAW
HD Video
Wide Aperture (for shooting low-light)
Comes in blue

Ok, the last one is totally negotiable, but I could really care less about MP, as it's about the quality of the picture that matters most. Shoots RAW would be a big plus, but that usually doesn't come till you're spending $250+.

I mean, so far I've got:
Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FP3 - $150
Canon PowerShot SD940 IS - $199
Canon Powershot SD1300 IS - $179
Canon PowerShot SD940 IS - $170
Samsung TL210 - $199
Fujifilm FINEPIX Z700EXR - $219
Sony DSC-W350 - $180

Help? Are there any specifically that I should be (or shouldn't be) looking at? Diamonds in the rough that I'm totally overlooking? I've got a personal distaste for Kodak, but that's only because I hate my mother's 5 year old digital camera. Who knows what they're like now...

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited: