Quantcast

Top speed of WC riders??

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
RMR

I definetly agree that the snow must be really hard, as soon there is any fresh snow on top skies will out accelerate wheels easily. But on fresh hard frozen manchester wheels will be faster.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
bla bla blabaddy. bla bla... the broken record skips again

in the 90's DH racing was down wide open fire roads... go look at the footage floating around youtube from MSA, Kaprun, Mammoth, etc

and if everyone os wearing the same thing there is no advantage/disadvantage

most of the races this year were decided by large margins... 2 or more seconds between each place. and if you look at the speed trap times the winner of the race more often than not was not even the fastest, and at times a few k behind (that few k of speed you are arguing they would have made up wearing something else)... there goes that theory

the few races were time were super tight (labresse, Bromont, Andorra) aero-dynamics would not make a difference.

when the average speeds are only in the mid to low 20's (most wc's) than pedaling power will gain you more than wearing one outfit over another.

nothing to see mickey... move on
I hope you were under the influence dave- as you seem to have agreed with everything I wrote. Zee beer goggles are thick, no?

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
So, if he was going up the hill at say, 40kph, then how can that possibly be an accurate reading.
Aussie cop cars have radars mounted on them that are designed to work when mobile. I'm not sure what they calibrate them from, be it the wheels or a second radar pointed at the ground or something, but they're accurate enough to be considered legally binding evidence in court. It's not a guy sitting in the drivers seat holding a radar gun out the window.
They have started running those here in socal as well. Not sure if Sanbernardino caounty has any yet, but I have seen at least three of them in riverside county now. From my understanding, its a computerized system. There is a radar at each corner of the vehicle placed at an appropriate angle to measure speed. It uses the vehicles own curent speed Via an average of all four wheels through the ABS system, compares it to at least two of the radar readings, and gives a display. So if you pass him up while he is sitting still, a front and rear radar reading will give the speed of the vehicle passing, if he is driving and you pass, it will calculate the speed by comparision, same if your going the other way.

From what I get its extremly accurate, far more accurate than an officer holding a radar stationary due to all the calculation the computer that is controlling it is doing<current speed, angle of read, comparision between radars, alot more that was listed off when I asked about it>

Really is a pretty cool setup

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
They have started running those here in socal as well. Not sure if Sanbernardino caounty has any yet, but I have seen at least three of them in riverside county now. From my understanding, its a computerized system. There is a radar at each corner of the vehicle placed at an appropriate angle to measure speed. It uses the vehicles own curent speed Via an average of all four wheels through the ABS system, compares it to at least two of the radar readings, and gives a display. So if you pass him up while he is sitting still, a front and rear radar reading will give the speed of the vehicle passing, if he is driving and you pass, it will calculate the speed by comparision, same if your going the other way.

From what I get its extremly accurate, far more accurate than an officer holding a radar stationary due to all the calculation the computer that is controlling it is doing<current speed, angle of read, comparision between radars, alot more that was listed off when I asked about it>

Really is a pretty cool setup
I got pulled over with moving radar 8 years ago here in Vermont, it's been around a while.

I said that it'd be hard on regular tracks not enywhere. 6-7 years ago we had a dh cup even at one place that mid track had a ~1km long fireroad and people were going 90+. I just suggested that unless you ride on a pretty unusual track it is highly unlikely because of the rolling resistance etc. Also you may run much higher pressure than most people. It helps greatly.

BTW. crazy high speeds seemed much less sketch on old my old brick that weighted a ton and had a wheelbase of a truck. On my newer bike I'd be probably much more scared.
Looks like we agree, then. I would think the limiting factor is finding a section that's sufficiently long, straight, and smooth, rather than any combination of aerodynamics and rolling resistance, since it takes a long time to reach terminal velocity and steep trails aren't in short supply. In any case, this certainly wouldn't be a typical DH trail, as you said.

P.T.W,

The OP's question was answered long ago, which is why we've moved on to assorted ramblings and squabblings.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Looks like we agree, then. I would think the limiting factor is finding a section that's sufficiently long, straight, and smooth, rather than any combination of aerodynamics and rolling resistance, since it takes a long time to reach terminal velocity and steep trails aren't in short supply. In any case, this certainly wouldn't be a typical DH trail, as you said.

P.T.W,

The OP's question was answered long ago, which is why we've moved on to assorted ramblings and squabblings.
Yeah, I Was just stating that on dh tires with normal pressures (I run 15-20psi in front) getting to that speed will be much harder than we think. When I was younger and into xc and ocasional road going with crazy speed down smooth roads was easier.

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
We did a Kamikaze run down a mowed section of ski trail at one our our races last summer. They had a radar gun clocking us, I think the winner was in the mid 90's (km/h) If did 87 or so.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Someone had a speed gun at Mt. Snow in 06 I think, and the rumor was that Minnaar came through what I call the Chris Boice Road Crossing at 50 mph. It was the section where you came left over a pipe and straightened out down a dead straight, very steep section, into a fire road crossing by the little barn building and then into some disgusting holes. Dave Camp recorded over 50 at the bottom section of Telluride as well. Also, I guarantee that anyone who has let go of their brakes on the way down the ski run from the gondola to the top of Garbanzo has hit 50. To those claim 50 doesnt happen, you're wrong. The winning pace at MSA last year was 31 mph, and it was slow in the upper woods in the mud, so I think it's pretty safe to say almost everyone in that race hit 50 at some point. Hell, on the speed trap at Sol Vista, several people hit 35 mph, and that was on a straight with pretty moderate pitch, the one that now leads into the negrodamus jump.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
The winning pace at MSA last year was 31 mph, and it was slow in the upper woods in the mud, so I think it's pretty safe to say almost everyone in that race hit 50 at some point.
there is nowhere to hit 50 at MSA... the speed trap is on the fastest part of the track and the speeds were not even close to that.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
I've read none of this thread except the last 3 posts.

So FWIW.
Here are the top 20 speedtrap (KPH) of 2009.....all at Ft. Bill...

Speed L_Name F_Name Location
--------------------------------
69.498 MINNAAR Greg FTB
68.912 PEAT Steve FTB
68.754 HANNAH Michael FTB
68.597 BLENKINSOP Samuel FTB
68.233 DALE Sam FTB
68.13 HILL Samuel FTB
68.078 STRAIT Kyle FTB
67.771 VAZQUEZ LOPEZ FTB
67.567 ATHERTON Gee FTB
67.516 GUARDIA PASCUAL FTB
67.466 WARREN Cody FTB
67.365 HART Danny FTB
67.264 BRYCELAND Josh FTB
67.164 WALLNER Robin FTB
67.164 GWIN Aaron FTB
66.964 BEAUMONT Marc FTB
66.864 MACDONALD Brook FTB
66.815 LEOV Justin FTB
66.815 GRAVES Jared FTB
66.666 RENNIE Nathan FTB

Top 20 Not at Ft. Bill.

Speed L_Name F_Name Location
--------------------------------
63.847 MINNAAR Greg PMB
62.068 BLENKINSOP Samuel PMB
61.822 POLC Filip PMB
61.822 PEAT Steve PMB
61.578 GRACIA Cédric PMB
61.538 BAREL Fabien MSA
61.498 BENNETT Kieran PMB
61.468 PEAT Steve MSA
61.349 GSPAN Dominik LBS
61.336 PAYET Florent PMB
61.336 HILL Samuel PMB
61.096 HART Danny PMB
61.096 GUARDIA PASCUAL PMB
61.016 HANNAH Michael PMB
61.016 NEETHLING Andrew LBS
60.879 LEOV Justin MSA
60.858 COLE Cameron PMB
60.858 RUFFIN Thibaut PMB
60.858 THIRION Rémi PMB
60.779 NEETHLING Andrew PMB

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
WTF?!? Did you just post actual FACTS???

On the internet?!?!

Someone ban this guy before he makes the rest of us look foolish!

*Edit*

If I were Rennie, I'd be stoked with the 66.666 kph. :D

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
damn 52 mph on a DH course? i have a hard enough time hitting 45 on my road bike with 53t-12t.

but the max avg. is about 40mph which is about 64km.

its funny sometimes you feel like your doing 40-50 mph but your really only doing about half that!

but dont forget this is the internet. the last DH race i did my avg. was about 77.356km. so i mean my top out must have been near 100km. but im just guessing. :rolleyes:

Yeah this puzzles me too. I did a week in the mountains in Mallorca this year on a road bike (my first time on one, loved it!) and struggled to break 45mph (GPS) on the descents. Yet in previous years I swear I've had >45mph come up on my DH bike computer on rocky fireroads in the alps. Obviously gradient is key, but some of the Mallorca roads seemed pretty steep - I was surprised I was only hitting 45mph, regardless of whether I tucked or span like a bitch!

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
-seb, You can easily rich 45mph on the rocky fireroad which lead from Les Lindarets to Chatel :)

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Yeah that's the one I'm thinking of. Actually no, I'm thinking of the one that goes down into Les Lindarets from Avoriaz. I think... I always get so confused around PdS!

sirbikealot

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
Dundas,ON,CAN
2006 Canadian National DH Championships had a speedtrap, Pro Men winner that day hit 79km/h, mid packers Pro (like me, haha) were right around the 68-72km/h.

Best part was the speed trap was placed before a jump that if you didn't hit at least 60km/h you landed in a man made rock garden, about 50% of the people were flatting if they didn't gap it. Great incentive to pin

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
There's actually some good info in this thread. A friend with a 5" bike (with speedometer) was following me down a fire road at Keystone and he hit 28 mph. I was definitely going faster than him, maybe a few mph. If the pros are hitting nearly 70 kph, that's low 40s in mph. I figured mid to high 30s seems reasonable for amateur race speeds.

bikeguru

Chimp
Aug 8, 2009
On that same fire road from Lindarets to Chatel me and my mates did a slip-streaming affair like the roadies do, and when i pulled out to pass I got my computer up to 52mph. Even with full Dainese, a mx helmet and goggles i was ****ting it!

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
On that same fire road from Lindarets to Chatel me and my mates did a slip-streaming affair like the roadies do, and when i pulled out to pass I got my computer up to 52mph. Even with full Dainese, a mx helmet and goggles i was ****ting it!
When I pulled out to pass big-ted going down there, I pulled out into a bit which was much rockier than the rest. At about 45mph I got an instant flat. Was a bit of a sketchy moment to say the least, and had me walking/bussing back to Morzine to build a new wheel. Fun days :D

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Yeah, those rocky fire roads in the PDS are so sketchy/fun. From Chatel down to Les Linderets with the water bars or from the Mossette lift down to Les Linderets are probably the scariest to hit without braking.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I'm never great on remembering the layout of places around Linderets - this was the one (I think) that turns left around that man-made mini-reservoir thing before it takes a straight line down into the valley. From the singletrack off of the road by Avoriaz IIRC?

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
Is that the one that cuts through the bottom section of the French National?

Only place of I can think there is where it comes out and straightlines down to the Mossettes lift.

The one from the Chatel bike park back into the Linderettes valley is pretty hairy, lots of walkers on that normally & a flat hairpin halfway down after a long flat out section. The drainage ditches are pretty lethal on that too.

Anyone tried the one that takes you from Avoriaz (through the hotel complex) down into the valley ending by the Morzine/Avoriaz telecabin? Thats possibly the scariest one of the lot, steep and loose as hell with loads of off camber corners.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Is that the one that cuts through the bottom section of the French National?

Only place of I can think there is where it comes out and straightlines down to the Mossettes lift.

The one from the Chatel bike park back into the Linderettes valley is pretty hairy, lots of walkers on that normally & a flat hairpin halfway down after a long flat out section. The drainage ditches are pretty lethal on that too.

Anyone tried the one that takes you from Avoriaz (through the hotel complex) down into the valley ending by the Morzine/Avoriaz telecabin? Thats possibly the scariest one of the lot, steep and loose as hell with loads of off camber corners.
Yeah that's the one I think.

The ditches on the Chatel one are indeed amusing at speed... especially when you have a herd of cattle spread across the track! Glad to say I was leading, easy to carve around them; meant they were stampeding by the time my mates came through though :D

The Avoriaz one you're talking about is called Gravelanche I think - a few friends have mentioned it, somehow I've never ridden it, always trekked back up to the top of SuperMorzine instead, or occasionally drafted each other down the road into Montriond.