Quantcast

Topic on access issues?

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Originally posted by johnbryanpeters
Would a topic on land access issues make sense? I posted something for IMBA in the lounge, where it will drop down the list and disappear...

Anybody else interested in working towards having places to ride in the future?

J
yes.

But, I think the best land access issues are dealt with in person. I mean always representing mt. bikers in a favorable, respectful manner while out riding 'on the land'. Most non-riders that share the trails with mtbikers biggest beefs are trail errosion, rude/ignorant/arrogant behavior and the whole mt. dew extreme sport persona. I think it's best not to try to fix something that's wrong, but to not let the damn thing break. Know what I mean?

You were probably refering to opening up of land to mt bike use. I got slightly off topic probably. anyway......

who's going to say 'NO' to your question? No one.

I meant the whole range of land access issues, from rider conduct to maintenance of existing trails to developing relationships with land owners to creating new trail legally.

Postings I have seen on this site and on others range from very responsible to I'll-do-as-I-damn-please, including assaulting other trail users.

It would be interesting to see some focused discussion.

Not clear it'd work, since only about three topics on this forum seem to draw much traffic...

J

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
True and unfortunate. 'As long as it aint happenin' in my town or my trails....', 'Someone will take care of it'. I understand.

Be persistent. Their conscience will get to them, and it does sometimes take awhile for a thread that isn't getting a lot of attention RIGHT AWAY to get much attention at all.

I do think that the Northeast Forum would be a great way to get people organized, at least in your area, if you're willing to lead the way so to speak. Even if you were to only get others who wish to organize and lead work parties and write letters, attend meetings, etc. who in turn may have better luck through their avenues of getting people to help with the work or at least stir some constructive conversation. (bit of a mess that last sentence).

IMBA and many of those other assoc.s have turned to crap. nobody wants to hear them whine and not get anything done, or charge $ and whine somemore. Mention of them and others is a big turn-off for many so perhaps it's best not to use them to draw attention. Anything too political tends to scare off those that might otherwise pitch in. I don't think it's not that people don't care, but that it often turns into a bitch, complain, guilt thing.

Get creative. Good luck.