Quantcast

Topless10 Lawsuit

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
*Edit* Topfree 10 *edit*

Ten Florida women, including a 14-year-old girl and a direct descendant of women's rights pioneer Elizabeth Cady Stanton, are suing for the simple right to remove their shirts when and where men enjoy the privilege.

One of the plaintiffs, Kayla Sosnow, endured arrest and 20 days in jail for the 'crime' of taking her shirt off in the 90 degree Florida heat in a forest. Meanwhile her male companion was deliberately allowed his comfortable topfreedom by police!

Renowned Civil Rights attorney team Mark and Lisa Tietig filed suit in the Middle District of Florida to challenge county and state laws which allow women to uncover their breasts to feed babies and to serve male desires in commercial sexual contexts, but never women to be topfree for their own benefit and comfort. Meanwhile Brevard County and state laws continue to allow men the privilege of baring their breasts whenever and wherever they wish.

The lawsuit states that the women seek the right to be topfree "during their work, beachgoing, gardening, sunbathing, swimming, other outdoor activities, and in other nonsexual contexts as often are their husbands, sons, fathers, and other men."

The lawsuit brings to light science and common sense:

Male and female breasts are physiologically similar except for lactation capability.

Scientific studies show that forcing women to wear tops while men enjoy topfreedom causes a psychological phenomenon called "objectification." Objectification contributes to social problems of sexual assault, domestic violence, and sexual harrassment. The requirement for women to wear shirts where men do not creates a badge of second-class citizenship for women.

Despite exempting breastfeeding women from laws against topfreedom, breastfeeding remains impeded because potent psychological barriers to breastfeeding are created by the general criminalization of women's bodies.

No real reasons exist for criminalizing conduct in women that is perfectly OK for men.

Link to web site

Discuss Please!!!!!!!!!!! :D

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
i say good for her. she probably won't win, but i know if i could walk around topless in certain places, i would. it'd be nice.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by laura
i say good for her. she probably won't win, but i know if i could walk around topless in certain places, i would. it'd be nice.
I wish I would have kept the article.....

The report asked a lawyer about it. All he could do wa sit there scratching his head and say it wasn't exactly a age/race/sex descrimination.

Most places there isn't anything forbiding women from doing it.....but if they did they could get hit with indecent exposure charge or the like.

gorgechris

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
Traveling the eastern U.S.
Instead of using sex as the basis for determining whether someone can or cannot go topless in public, I think we should use a breast-fat calculation. Therefore, thin men and small-breasted women would be free to roam topless. Heavy men with apparent breasts and large-breasted women would need to remain covered and, preferably for their own health, supported.

Please read my tagline before you rip my head off. Thank you!

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Even if it were allowed, I would never do it....and I'd probably frown on my kids if they ever did (when I have kids)...but then...women's swimsuits show far more "skin" then men's do...

And it would be very weird to me to go walking around with a man who had his shirt off...the beach is one thing...but walking around on the streets with your shirt off I think is kinda..well lewd. Not that I mind running around nekkid in my own home, or have a problem with a man doing so...

Now I'm looking at this from a personal perspective...and I can appreciate what they're trying to do...but if anything I'd rather it read that men Had to wear shirts/shoes more often. (yea yea...send me back to the 1800s...I know)...if I wanna go topless, I'll go to one of those nudy hot springs or beaches or somethin...

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Why do people feel the need to pull some sutpid s*** like this?

Oh, wait.... I know the answer. Because they're greedy, attention craving media whores with no sense for logic or the greater good.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by Jr_Bullit
...but if anything I'd rather it read that men Had to wear shirts/shoes more often.
I totally agree... seeing a fat, sweaty, nasty guy without a shirt on would require me to stare at five good looking women to get that image out of my mind :eek: :mad: And then, those women will get mad at me :(
Originally posted by Serial Midget
You haven't seen me in my skin tight speedo... ;)
And we can all sleep better for it :eek: :D

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
I honestly don't know anymore.
Originally posted by Serial Midget
You haven't seen me in my skin tight speedo... ;)
The image of this will haunt me for years to come.

And Burly Surly, while I agree with you on most subjects, this is one in which I do not. In a perfectly typical male fashion, I will heartily advocate topless women.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Burly, much like your arguments about racism, bared breasts are only a big deal if you make them that way... which is the point of the suit.
If we didn't differentate breasts, no one would care that much, and drunken frat boys would stick to groping asses, not boobies.

I spent a bunch of time at the beach earlier this summer, with a couple of good girl friends that went topless. You'd be suprised at how normal it seems in practice. Not any more or less sexual than a girl in a bikini, really...
In fact, one day while we were there, I guess we inspired the couple next to us, because after an hour or so that woman took her top off too.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by ohio
Burly, much like your arguments about racism, bared breasts are only a big deal if you make them that way... which is the point of the suit.
If we didn't differentate breasts, no one would care that much, and drunken frat boys would stick to groping asses, not boobies.

I spent a bunch of time at the beach earlier this summer, with a couple of good girl friends that went topless. You'd be suprised at how normal it seems in practice. Not any more or less sexual than a girl in a bikini, really...
In fact, one day while we were there, I guess we inspired the couple next to us, because after an hour or so that woman took her top off too.
Im not saying that we wouldnt just eventually get used to it, but the same could be said for just about anything really. Hell, why dont we all just quit wearing pants?
The point is, and you know i say this all the time, if it causes more problems than it solves, its probably not worth it. I, for one, dont want to be looking at some old lady's saggy funbags because she suddenly feels liberated. Likewise, I also dont want to ever get used to seeing "nice" breasts, becuase it certainly takes away from that first-time mystery.
But still, the fact remains, even in areas of north america where all this is legal, very few individuals partake. Its not in our culture to do things this way for the most part. This lawsuit is nothing more than the work of a few greedy minds trying to shake things up.
In short........hippie sh**.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Originally posted by BurlySurly
I, for one, dont want to be looking at some old lady's saggy funbags because she suddenly feels liberated. Likewise, I also dont want to ever get used to seeing "nice" breasts, becuase it certainly takes away from that first-time mystery.

I wonder whether you'd feel this argument would be a valid one coming from a Muslim in defence of the compulsory wearing of the Burka?

After all it is only a matter of degree whether you think a woman mst keep her breasts covered, or the entire body.

It is particularly similar if you do not apply the same rules to men.

spookydave

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Orange County, CA
Out at Lake Havasu in AZ girls were getting in trouble all the time for flashing their tits.
So what they do now is wear pasties. lol, I think it kinda backfired on the law as now instead of a quick flash they are now running around in a thong bottom and pasties. kinda funny really.

Tweek

I Love Cheap Beer!
Originally posted by Ridemonkey
I don't believe you. You'll have to prove it with photos.
You don't want to see the photos or the women that made that law possible. :blah: They made their point just outside of Rochester.

Now, I'm not saying that only good-looking women should be allowed to bare their breasts, but be careful what you ask for. ;)

wmesser

Chimp
Sep 13, 2003
Tenino, WA
I read this at lunch today......In USA Today or SEATTLE TIMES Must have been the SEATTLE TIMES.............who else would focus on such a trivial topic as this. Dirties, if you want to do, do it. It won't take long for men who are normally on their mother’s breast to get used to the sight. If not, consider doing it on Fridays.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by wmesser
[BMust have been the SEATTLE TIMES.............who else would focus on such a trivial topic as this. Dirties, if you want to do, do it. It won't take long for men who are normally on their mother’s breast to get used to the sight. If not, consider doing it on Fridays. [/B]
If is a federal lawsuit, Sir! Not a trivial topic! :D LOL! I thought it was funny. It was buried in the first section of the newspaper....definately a florida Newspaper article I jsut couldn't remember who wrote it.

That is a whole new look at Casual Fridays. :eek::p :D

Originally posted by BurlySurly
Im not saying that we wouldnt just eventually get used to it, but the same could be said for just about anything really. Hell, why dont we all just quit wearing pants?
The point is, and you know i say this all the time, if it causes more problems than it solves, its probably not worth it. I, for one, dont want to be looking at some old lady's saggy funbags because she suddenly feels liberated. Likewise, I also dont want to ever get used to seeing "nice" breasts, becuase it certainly takes away from that first-time mystery.
But still, the fact remains, even in areas of north america where all this is legal, very few individuals partake. Its not in our culture to do things this way for the most part. This lawsuit is nothing more than the work of a few greedy minds trying to shake things up.
BurlySurly surely couldn't be worried about being visually assaulted by wagging tits, could he? Then again, maybe he could... Joyless boy, when you going to grow up a little?

J

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
Hangin' with Riggs and Mertah
oh yeah they been nekkid on the beaches here for years.

they have canada's first fully nude beach over on Toronto island.

You just take off your fig leaf and start walking on the sand.

The funny part is...i bought the super sun screen to go out there and tan my willy but i never went for it.

i'd rather ride my bike or something other than watching nekkid old people showing off what gravity can do.

Sometimes though the sun is good for ya. It gives your willy natural vitamin D (which is not the same as synthetic D found in milk) and it straightens out the old hockey stick pretty good.

HippieKai

Pretty Boy....That's right, BOY!
Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
well i think we sjould all just be able to get naked anytime we want. Whats the big deal? We all see it, we all like it in one way or another and we all want to do it in one way or another, so....
...NAKED TIME (imagine me running around my apartment taking my clothes off and flashing the naighbors, i have had a few drinks:p ) ...WEEE NAKED TIME, NO MORE CLOTHES, WEEEE.:eek:

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Originally posted by Mag204
well i think we sjould all just be able to get naked anytime we want. Whats the big deal? We all see it, we all like it in one way or another and we all want to do it in one way or another, so....
...NAKED TIME (imagine me running around my apartment taking my clothes off and flashing the naighbors, i have had a few drinks:p ) ...WEEE NAKED TIME, NO MORE CLOTHES, WEEEE.:eek:

I'll never look you in the eye again....

Grimey

Monkey
Aug 21, 2003
cali
I totally agree... seeing a fat, sweaty, nasty guy without a shirt on would require me to stare at five good looking women to get that image out of my mind And then, those women will get mad at me

agree'd