Quantcast

Torque Caps (don't yell at me)

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Are Torque Caps BS, like the aftermarket 15mm thru axles that claim to be 10,000% stiffer than the Fox/RS versions?

I googled and didn't find any legit discussion.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I put em on my Stans Wheels because the caps were like $12. The DT Swiss version for my other wheels are about $50, so yeah.

It seems like the interface could be stiffer due to the surface area, but I'm not going to pretend to be an e-engineer.

Nope. Get em if they're cheap. Not worth heaps but in my expert scientific analysis they're 7 seconds faster. Also they make it heaps easy to locate the wheel and get the axle in.

Floor Tom

Monkey
Sep 28, 2009
New Zealand
The best bit about them is that putting your front wheel in becomes easier, they also must be stiffer though in not sure if feel the difference.
If they are cheap then why not.

Floor Tom

Monkey
Sep 28, 2009
New Zealand
These are handy if you don't have torque caps:

I did not know about these, they look good, I find putting a standard wheel in a torque cap fork to be more annoying than it should be. Thankfully I don't have any of those forks and the last set in the house is currently up for sale.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I'm just posting here to let toodles know that I'm glad he's alive and not a crispy australian casualty at this point.

And to make fun of 'heaps'
Cheers mate, its a well fucked place to be right now. Your concern is heaps appreciated.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Novatec torque caps are also £1.99 on CRC right now
They're obviously not made from the melted down internals of a brand new Rolex watch like DTs though.

Both my Lyriks have torque dropouts and I have Torque caps on all 3 front wheels for those.
Makes swapping wheels about 2-4seconds quicker depending on how hungover you are, They're also guaranteed to make make your front hub bearings last one whole wheel rotation longer.
It all adds up. Drinking time is drinking time. You're not getting those seconds back. ;)

Oh... yeah... and the bike still steers pretty good n that

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I want the Stans Neo ones for my smuggler but no one in Oz sells them and shipping from the states costs more than the caps themselves so I can't do that out of principle. Goddammit.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Ultimate dildo?
Naw mang thats a monarch 10ee
Its the unno of manual lathes (has always cost upwards of double or tripple what comparable lathes cost)

However it can be used to custom build ultimate dildo just for you, ribbing, knurling, steps, radi, blunt or pointed, tapered (either way), lightened, or weighted with tungsten, avaliable in stainless, chromoly, teflon, delrin, torlon, acrylic, phenolic, fiberglass, brass, bronze, aluminum, tungsten, for those that like to live dangerously or that have tetnus fantasies mild (and wild) steel, wood for the eco friendly types.

If you have any wild ideas like a skull tip, or little skull nubs, or perhaps simulated herpes, or even real herpes let me know, we can make those dreams come true.

Tanking orders now