Quantcast

Torque Wrench

Runner

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
CT
So I was at Sears looking at torque wrenches and they had 2 models, one that went from 25-250 in/lbs and one that went from 10-75 ft/lbs. When I was there, I thought they were both in ft/lbs, so I got the 10-75 ft/lbs model. Now I realize that the other one is actually in in/lbs so I need that one (I need a lower range), but it only goes up to about 20 ft/lbs of torque.
This is my first torque wrench, so:

How often do you use more than 20 ft/lbs of torque when working on your bike? Do you ever, or is 20 more than enough? Will I need both the larger AND the smaller model, or just the smaller one for regular bike work?

Thanks!

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
So I was at Sears looking at torque wrenches and they had 2 models, one that went from 25-250 in/lbs and one that went from 10-75 ft/lbs. When I was there, I thought they were both in ft/lbs, so I got the 10-75 ft/lbs model. Now I realize that the other one is actually in in/lbs so I need that one (I need a lower range), but it only goes up to about 20 ft/lbs of torque.
This is my first torque wrench, so:

How often do you use more than 20 ft/lbs of torque when working on your bike? Do you ever, or is 20 more than enough? Will I need both the larger AND the smaller model, or just the smaller one for regular bike work?

Thanks!
on cars, 20lbs/ft and more is extremely common.
btw, torque wrench accuracy has a sweetspot (usually around the middle) and then drops a little from there to both ends, so its good practice to have more than one wrench with overlapping ratings.

stay away from bar and needle wrenches. clickers are way better.

Runner

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
CT
Yeah, no car for me but it sounds like even though both would be nice, I'd only need the smaller one, is that right?

What do you mean clickers and needles?
Mine has the main shaft and the grip rotates around that and makes little clicking sounds every half pound/foot. Is that what you mean by clicker?

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
The clicker-type are technically called break-away because they physically have a break in the movement when the set torque is reached. I know this because almost 30 years ago, I used to calibrate torque wrenches.

While a calibrated "clicker" torque wrench is more accurate, when used correctly, an indicating type is just as accurate for the home mechanic. I use an indicating type wrench myself.

rogue22

Chimp
Dec 2, 2007
I actually was in the exact same boat. For xmas I got the inch pounds version and exchanged it for the foot pounds version. usually the only thing I use TWs for is bottom brackets and cranks. which are generally 30-40 ft lbs.