Quantcast

torque wrenches?

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Urge to kill rising. yesterday i snapped the head off one of my axel pinch bolts and today i snapped a part of my linkage hardware. Of course part of the problem is the fact that in there infinite wisdom cannondale decided to make them out of aluminum, but i realized unless i want to throw my bike off my roof in a fit of rage i should get a torque wrench so i stop doing this. Any reccomendations? or should i just get a better touch?
________
SC2 REPLAYS

Last edited:

likwid

Chimp
Aug 1, 2005
Get a torque wrench unless you want to continue breaking things.

Craftsman has a cheap one.
S'all you need.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
well beam will be cheaper, and it's easier to apply the correct torque, BUT the click type, if a decent one for inch lbs (craftsman, $60-80) will just notify you of a click that you've hit the correct torque.

I say get a click type, they last forever as long as you take care of them so why be cheap? Bike hardware isn't (the bolts you snapped) so spend some $$$ to protect your investments.

likwid

Chimp
Aug 1, 2005
fiddy_ryder said:
and if a craftsman breaks bring it back and get a new one..
I did this with a 30yo craftsman hammer.
The dude at the store almost **** himself.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
anyone ever tried replace the interally threaded shock mounting hardware with like a solid piece with an acorn nut on the end? I wonder if that would stronger cause the other ****'s hollow. Would like a piece from homedepot be up to it. I figure thatd be cheaper, and i wouldn't have to wait a week for them to ship it.
________
MONTANA MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARY

Last edited:
May 12, 2005
roanoke va
those bolts don't need to be anywhere near as tight as it would take to snap the head off those bolts. just stop hamfisting it. as much force as you can do with ONE finger at the end of a 6" alen key is more then enough. for the shock mount bolts go down to a fastener shop and get a steel replacement nut and bolt. it might look ghetto with all the washers and all but it will never bend/break and it will cost you all of $2.50, which is cheeper then homedepot and will be a higher grade steel.
BTW why do companys use HOLLOW alu. bolts for that? it doesn't save that much weight and i allways snap those things in a season. WTF?

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
yeah aluminum bolts on fr or dh bikes are ridiculous. I inspected my bike and realized that the vast majority of them are so, i dunno what theyre thinking. :nope:
________
Ecigarette 123

Last edited:

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
sanjuro said:
BTW, has anyone tried the Syntace or the Magura (I think) torque wrenches?

yeah, i have the syntace... fvcking awesome tool... pretty spendy tho'... i got mine here in germany, but i was stll about 150 with the allen bits...

expensive, but worth the $$$ imho...

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Aluminum is rediculous. I remember that when alloy crank bolts were all the rage you had to press the cranks on w/ the steel bolts and then replace them with the alloy's. Stupid. But as someone else said, pinch bolts do not need to be very tight at all. That type of clamping interface is very strong. The torque specs are so low on pinch bolts that you may have trouble finding a wrench that can meassure them accurately. Any wrench that can will be expensive.
Not to brag (oh hell, I am bragging!) several years ago I bought a Snap-On made WrenchForce torque wrench for $50 from a rep. Retail was ~$200. The original WF stuff was so nice. Basically all SnapOn/Bluepoint stuff that I could get at 50% off. I miss thise days.

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
gemini2k said:
you think a pair of 8mm steel (not stainless) bolts for my shock mount should be strong enough for my 190lbs ass?
youll be fine,. make sure theyre grade 8,, the 8 will be stamped on the head.