Quantcast

Torque wrenches

velocipedist

Lubrication Sensei
Jul 11, 2006
Rainbow City Alabama
I have used a couple of these to cover up to 100nm for what we use at my current factory :

I will update when I can get pics of the actual tools; my company tends to be cheap and I am curious if we don't have a slightly less expensive version than the link above.

Regardless, probably still a few thousand dollars on the 'cheap' end.

This is it:

So under $2000.. monocle monkey territory?

With any calibrated tool, I always wonder how you are going to keep it calibrated...

Last edited:

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I ride bike frames that cost less than that.

I have used a couple of these to cover up to 100nm for what we use at my current factory :

I will update when I can get pics of the actual tools; my company tends to be cheap and I am curious if we don't have a slightly less expensive version than the link above.

Regardless, probably still a few thousand dollars on the 'cheap' end.

This is it:

So under $2000.. monocle monkey territory?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I have a torque key or two that are a fixed Nm, there were included with the crabonz road bike I bought (super nice touch by the shop, IMO)

I also have a Pedro's terq wrench which cost around $125 with a set of bits. I'd buy it again and it's arguably more versatile that the fixed wrenches.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I have a Ritchey torque key which is supposed to be 5nm, but I'm not sure if it's broken or my hand calibrated 5nm is way too loose as it has never "clicked" when I have tried to use it...

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I'd like to see the pre-set ones put on to a bench tester to see how accurate they stay.

Normally leaving a Torque wrench at it's max setting is a no no but some are fine with it, a couple of mine are.

I test my torque screwdriver against my digital wrench, probably not super accurate but neither are bikes.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I had a plastic Icetoolz T-handle torque (basically a $10 version of that Park one) that was included in the box when I bought my Capra. It was very handy until the meter window broke in my gear bag on the first road trip.

I have an old-school beam torque wrench that I use for (fycking) Cinch cranks and for frame pivots, but would like something smaller and packable.

Other than that, I don't use carbon or wacko-light parts and have developed an OK feeling for torquing everything else on a mtb acceptably. Nothing breaks, binds or comes loose very often, is what I mean by "acceptable".

I'm selling my motos and don't work on cars, so a fancier shop-grade torque is unnecessary.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
With any calibrated tool, I always wonder how you are going to keep it calibrated...

Torque is something you can easily calibrate yourself with a fixed weight and a lever arm.

I also wouldn't worry too much anyway as torque is a pretty horrible way to set clamping force. Slight variations in friction on an angular thread shape results in significant variation in clamp force, so it is a really a ballpark method to begin with. Applications that require very tight control use other means of measurement such as fastener stretch or monitor the change in torque over angular displacement. A straight torque threshold basically ensures something is tightened enough, but not too much.

Even the formulas most often used to calculate clamping force from a fastener torque are just estimates.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Torque is something you can easily calibrate yourself with a fixed weight and a lever arm.

I also wouldn't worry too much anyway as torque is a pretty horrible way to set clamping force. Slight variations in friction on an angular thread shape results in significant variation in clamp force, so it is a really a ballpark method to begin with. Applications that require very tight control use other means of measurement such as fastener stretch or monitor the change in torque over angular displacement. A straight torque threshold basically ensures something is tightened enough, but not too much.

Even the formulas most often used to calculate clamping force from a fastener torque are just estimates.
Yeah but when you have people that are so mechanically inept they can crush a carbon bar when tightening by feel, the torque wrench is a pretty magical thing.

People that can scorpion off a 1ft drop also like to 'maintain' their own bike.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Yeah but when you have people that are so mechanically inept they can crush a carbon bar when tightening by feel, the torque wrench is a pretty magical thing.

People that can scorpion off a 1ft drop also like to 'maintain' their own bike.

Not saying people shouldn't use them, just probably not care if their wrench is NIST traceable.

I don't use one. I trust me, I wouldn't trust any of you fuckers and wouldn't let anyone touch my bike without one.

Lemke

Chimp
Aug 22, 2019
Torque values are not as critical as torque CONSISTENCY. Especially when clamping carbon fiber parts... like bars onto your stem. However, most suspension forks have very specific torque values to follow, so an accurate and repeatable wrench is required.