Quantcast

Torrents

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I've been trading torrents for probably about 3 years, probably a few hundred torrents, and have not once downloaded a virus.

If you're cognizant of the number of seeders/peers, the naming conventions of certain types of downloads, and have a realistic expectation of the size of the download so you can make sure it matches, it's usually pretty safe.

Of course, with any file sharing you should always have your virus scanner up to date, just mentioning that careful downloading will weed out most of the virus infestations :thumb:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
In theory, virtually any file type can be infected with a virus or an exploit. In practice, software is far more susceptible to being infected.

Be safe and make sure you've got virus protection and be aware of the updates for software that you're using to view/play the files (e.g. if Winamp tells you there's an update, make sure you know what changed and if it's security-related, do the upgrade).

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I've been trading torrents for probably about 3 years, probably a few hundred torrents, and have not once downloaded a virus.

If you're cognizant of the number of seeders/peers, the naming conventions of certain types of downloads, and have a realistic expectation of the size of the download so you can make sure it matches, it's usually pretty safe.

Of course, with any file sharing you should always have your virus scanner up to date, just mentioning that careful downloading will weed out most of the virus infestations :thumb:
Exactly...careful DLing is key. I'm always a fan of sites with comments so I know what I'm getting into. Don't be an idiot and download something that normally would come on two DVDs and yet is only 2mb on the tracker.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
i still use irc to get music. much faster. sure not as wide a selection. but the sites have been up for 8-10years now?
sure, i've done a lot of torrents, too bad a lot of the good sites are getting shut down though.

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
I have never had an issue, I usually don't download something unless some else has reviewed it.

I use Piratebay, it works well enough.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
I have never had an issue, I usually don't download something unless some else has reviewed it.

I use Piratebay, it works well enough.
going on 4 years and never virused.

people will not seed viruses. i use isohunt to find and utorrent to get.